Replaced My Existing Security Panel with Konnected Security - My Writeup

Today I got my Fire HD8 tablet mounted and powered. To start when I pulled the old keypad off it was kinda a mess:

20170923_105202

Plus I had a old sensor to the left with some holes. I hate patching drywall so I was determined to cover all the holes at once and give the tablet a good base. To that end I bought a cheap ($12) Watts 8" x 8" access panel to cover the wall and some Koala tablet holders that @anon36505037 suggested. They make a double sided tap version for $20 and a screw in version for $15. I opted for the screw in since I figured it would help hold the access panel to the wall:

20170923_105247

Used some 6" diagonal cutters to cut off everything raised on the back so it would sit flush against the wall:

20170923_112932

I measured it up to just cover the extra holes I had to the left so thats why the wire/center screws are offset. I then measured up the Koala tabs, drilled through into the wall, put in the drywall anchors, and mounted everything. I also cut a micro USB cable in half and wired one half to the old keypad wires red and black leaving the white and green for a potential chime or buzzer if needed:

20170923_135025

I then used the other half and wired to the same wire in the panel and plugged it in:

20170923_142407

And now its mounted and ready to go. I turned on the developer options to remove the ads and stuff (previous post) and also disabled the screen from locking so it will just stay on this screen indefinitely (turned the lights off because that screen is super glossy):

20170923_135214

Only thing left to do since we apparently can’t rely on SmartThings to add a SHM delay is to install and get the SHM Delay program working. I also purposely mounted the tablet a little higher then centered because I’m debating adding small LED’s to the panel for status along the bottom, using the ST_Anything system to turn LED’s on and off based on statuses in SmartThings. Like red for armed, green for disarmed, maybe a led for each door, etc. Haven’t decided if I want to do that much yet but we’ll see.

-Allan

2 Likes