Connect Any Wired Alarm System to SmartThings
Does your home have a wired alarm system that you hardly use? Ever thought about how much money it would save you on wireless sensors and batteries if you could easily connect it to SmartThings?
Now you can with the new Konnected Alarm Panel that just launched on Kickstarter.
Hi there, I’m Nate, the creator of Konnected. You can meet me in the video there on the Kickstarter page. I’ve been a member of this community for about a year when I started working on a little project to connect my wired alarm system to SmartThings. I wasn’t using the old alarm system in my home, and I started thinking about ways that I could re-use my alarm system sensors so that I could monitor my home from my smartphone without paying monthly fees. I was surprised to find out that there wasn’t a way to easily do this with SmartThings, so I built it!
After incredible feedback from this community and LOTS of people asking me for help setting it up themselves, I started selling DIY kits online. In only a few months, I sold more than 500! After obsessively iterating on the product, I designed a custom “alarm panel” circuit board that replaces your old alarm system motherboard (i.e. Honeywell, Ademco, DSC, GE, Interlogix, Napco, etc – works with all brands!) and connects it to SmartThings.
People love to convert their wired system to SmartThings because:
- You can monitor your home yourself with no recurring fees
- Never replace batteries
- Works seamlessly with Smart Home Monitor and all your SmartThings automations
- Each sensor shows up natively just like any other sensor in SmartThings.
- Wired sensors are more reliable than wireless
- You can replace your old 1980s keypads with sleek tablets running ActionTiles
- You can cancel your expensive alarm system monitoring contract and analog phone line
I launched the new product on Kickstarter yesterday, and we reached our $25k minimum funding goal in less than two hours! The new Konnected Alarm Panel is gearing up for production now, and you can still get one at the Kickstarter pre-order price.
- Connects to up to six wired sensors and one powered siren from your existing alarm system, or using inexpensive wired sensors in new builds.
- Infinitely expandable by adding more modules. Each Konnected Alarm Panel module connects independently to 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
- Works with all low-voltage Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC) wired sensors.
- The on-board Wi-Fi chip works on Wi-Fi standard frequencies in every country
- Door & Window contact sensors. Works with all common door and window contact sensors. These sensors do not require power or batteries and are virtually invisible when installed in the walls.
- Motion & Glass-break sensors. The Konnected panel powers and monitors all common wired alarm system motion sensors and glass-break sensors.
- Smoke & CO detectors. Many interconnected type smoke and CO detectors can also be used with Konnected. See our documentation for details.
- Siren or Strobe. Powers and switches your wired alarm system siren or strobe when an intrusion is detected and on demand.
- Door Chime or Beep. Play a sound or make a “beep beep” when a door is opened just like your old alarm system. But now that your home is a Smart Home, you can customize when and which doors to alert on. Konnected comes with a piezo buzzer for a simple “beep” sound.
- Modular design. The Wi-Fi module is removable and replaceable. This enables upgrades and servicing without re-wiring.
- Low power consumption. Use the included power adapter or piggyback power from the old alarm panel AUX power output. Also connects easily to off the shelf 12VDC backup batteries.
- Mountable. Can be mounted on a wall or inside an alarm system enclosure (avoid metal enclosures to preserve Wi-Fi signal).
- Backup battery available. We’re working on sourcing backup batteries for your Konnected installation. These should be available after this Kickstarter campaign.
- Great Tech support. Thanks to the momentum from Kickstarter, we’re expanding our support team and offerings. We guarantee that you’ll be able to install this!
In the news:
SecurityInfoWatch - Konnected Alarm Panel turns wired security systems into smart home solutions
BGR.com - Konnected turns the old home alarm you already have into a smart alarm with no monthly fees
I can’t thank this fantastic SmartThings community enough for all of your feedback, encouragement, and support. I started this project as a little hobby for myself, and after only a few months ended up leaving my full-time job to turn this into a company. The response from Kickstarter was amazing yesterday, and great validation that the SmartThings community needs and wants this product.
Ask me anything! I’m here to help and answer questions.
Your fellow community developer,