[REMOVED] Nest Manager 2.0

We are working with the constraints of Nest. Ecobee has remote sensors built into their software.

For example if your living room with the nest is 69 degrees, but you want your bedroom to be 70 degrees we may need to adjust the thermostat to 71 degrees to get to the bedroom to the temp you want.

I am assuming you situation you want to adjust the Nest at the thermostat to 70 degrees and have it average across the house. You will have to modify the Automation rule n Nest manager if you wanted to do that.

edit:
Should mention most people are a set it and forget it, and that what the goal of automations was. For example if you lie to sleep at 70 degrees you can set remote sensors for bedrooms and for night mode.

@desertblade I think i am somewhat understanding what you are saying now. Basically, the way you guys control on and off for the nest is by setting the temp on the nest itself. So if a room where a remote sensor is saying its 77F and your Nest in the hallway is saying its currently 75F. If the nest programming tells the nest to turn off at 75F it will because of the temp in the hallway leaving the room with the remote sensors at 77F. Now Nest Manager automation can lower the nest to 73F in order to achieve 75F in the room with the remote sensor since the only way Smart Manager can turn on and off the nest is by setting a lower temp. My question is once nest auto programming learns the newer temp set points how does that play with Nest Manager? I the remote sensor settings I only saw the option to set one temp point. You see what Iā€™m saying?

I guess Iā€™m not understanding what you are looking for.

I believe you have the general idea. Not exactly sure how it will work in practice, but it should be pretty close.

Nest will try to guess your routines and set temps, but Nest-Manager will override based on automations. If you have the temp set to be 70 for a remote sensor, and it reports back at 68. Nest-Manager will kick in and raise temp up a few degrees.

An example where it would work is if you always wake up around 7 and set the temp to 70. Nest will predict that ahead of time. Nest-manager will set the temp on your good morning routine, but its already on the move.

Basically, I would like nest manager to adjust the temp on my nest to try and achieve an average temp across my 4 bedroom temp sensors and the nestā€™s hallway temp.

For example:

Bedroom 1: Temp = 76F
Bedroom 2: Temp = 75F
Bedroom 3: Tamp = 77F
Bedroom 4: Temp = 77F
Nest Hallway: Temp = 75F

Average Temp = 76F
Nest Set Point by Auto program for time and date = 75F

Therefore, I would like Nest Manager to adjust the Nest to remain on until the average of 76F reaches as close to the set point of 75F as possible. Make sense?

After that in the future we can add motion logic, like if no motion in 3 hours donā€™t use temp in calculation, etc.

Thoughts?

Yes @desertblade but thats exactly the issue, the mandatory set point variable in nest manager only allows me to set one temp setting. What if I always want nest manager to operate the nest in such a way that would always attempt to balance the average temp across remote sensors. So at night when nest sets my set point to 74F but other remote sensors report higher, nest manager continues to turn the dial lower until the correct average is achieved across all temp sensors. This way you get best of both worlds, the nest auto programing and the nest manager awareness of remote areas. Where as currently having one option of set point is really limiting. Since if I set it at 74F, nest manager will always try to make the nest cool to that temp regardless of nest auto scheduling. Make sense?

You mean with nest-Manager automations? (just making sure)

In this scenario Nest-Manager should kick it up to 78 degrees, and then when it hits the right temp turn it to -2 degrees below the current temp (I believe its a 2 degree swing, might be 4 or 5 though).

I have not done a lot of averaging temp testing, my house stays pretty close to even temp (lucky).

no not by nest manager automations. I meant by the native nest auto learning scheduler.

Well it already does average the temp across all selected sensors. So you would like the thermostat added into the average? I allow selection of two setpoints for remote sensors based on day/night

The next release has a new automation that allows selection of thermostats the the st modes which then generates inputs for setpoints for each mode for that thermostat

Nest-manager will override auto-schedule in this scenario.

@desertblade I think we are saying the same thing. I am ok with nest manager over riding the nest set point to accomplish the correct average across rooms. But I guess in the current implementation its a hard set, where what Iā€™m suggesting is why not make nest manager push minor temp set point tweaks to the nest so that the nest native schedule can run its suggested course and nest manager simply provides logic to for it run a little longer or shorter based remote sensor data? So my proposed change would be to get rid of the hard temp set point in nest manager remote sensor areas.

Guys my apologies for going back and forth on this. Either I am completely mis understanding how nest manager works with remote sensors or I am not being very clear in my explanations. Either way I appreciate the dialogue with you guys :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think we are talking the same things. its a hard set in Nest-Automations (70 degrees) but it does make minor adjustments to find the right setpoint for Nest. In a perfect world it would find the sweet spot for temp settings, maybe 72 degrees to get the average around 70, and that is what Nest would for the scheduling.

Early on we did talk about adding a new Device Handler that was another thermostat but tied to an automation.

I am come to find using routines/modes to set temps has become pretty spot on for me. I am sure Nest is still doing stuff, but its nice to execute Good Night and have my thermostats set to the night time temps.

Give it a shot. We are always looking to improve it

1 Like

Sorry for such a basic question, but I am brand new to ST. I have read and reread this thread and the Overview of using custom code FAQ, but Iā€™m clearly missing something simple. Where is the code located for the Nest Manager so that I can copy it? Surely Iā€™m missing something simple here, but I have truly banged my head on this for days.

Thanks so much!

Its under the read me in the github repository. Recommend doing Method 1 under installation. You will need to sign up for a github account and follow the steps.

1 Like

The ā€œRead Meā€ link is also included in the first post in this thread under the ā€œGetting Startedā€ header. :sunglasses:

Iā€™m sure itā€™s confusing, but the method for installing this type of smart app is a bit different than the one described in the custom code overview FAQ.

Instead of just cutting and pasting, you are going to link your account to this authorā€™s code library (thatā€™s what ā€œgithub integrationā€ means: github is a site where developers can set up code libraries).

Once that github is linked, you will be able to follow the publishing process described for this particular smart app in order to make the code available to your account.

Itā€™s a slightly more complex process then the cut-and-paste method, but it has a big advantage is that you will be notified automatically of updates to this particular code. With the cut-and-paste method, you have to keep checking for yourself to see if there have been any updates.

2 Likes

Get used to the IDE. Before you know it you will be in there quite a bit adding custom smartApps and Device Handlers.

Yes, this last thing made it much easier to find. I didnā€™t know what anything meant in the Readme file. :slight_smile:

Sadly, Github is only for the US, and I am in Canada. So I just followed the rules for Manual Installation and they show up in My SmartApps online. Now once they help me with my Hub not showing up, Iā€™m sure it will work out.

1 Like

@desertblade routines donā€™t really work for me. If relying on them then you basically negate the purpose of the nest in general. Wy not use a Perl then?

@tonesto7 and @desertblade what I am proposing is that nest manager use a floating set temp point for remote sensors rather than a hard coding it based on night/day. Can nest manager automation query the current set point on the nest based on native nest scheduler and then adjust the nest thermostat up or down to achieve a balanced temp across remote sensors? is this possible?

Wonā€™t be possible and here is why:

1. You set your nest to 72
  2. You use a remote sensor and that temp is 70
  3. Nest Manager has to adjust the Nest setpoint higher to get the remote temp up. So you nest setpoint will show 74
  4. if you do that everyday at 5, then Nest Schedule will change the planned setpoint to 74, through their predictive modeling.

There is no API to look into what Nest has scheduled, so even if you turned off predictive modeling there is no way to access it.

I am not relying on routines/modes, I use them to help automate my house and Nest. Routines trigger automatically when I get home, leave for work, go to bed, etc. I donā€™t really do these things at a set time, and it really improved overall automation.

Are you asking for the ability to set a schedule, like every Friday at 2:00pm set the house to 72 degrees? Right now I believe automation only is triggered off of mode, and not time windows.

1 Like

Hello again.

So Manager and Automations went very well, but when I tried to add Device Handlers I get the following error message.

No signature of method: script1466011958594241740902.metadata() is applicable for argument types: (script1466011958594241740902$_run_closure2) values: [script1466011958594241740902$_run_closure2@5d1b2817] Possible solutions: getMetadata(), getState(), setState(java.lang.Object), metaClass(groovy.lang.Closure)

(Again, I could not enable GitHub Integration since it says US only and I am in Canada.) So I had to go with Manual Installation.

Thanks again.