[RELEASE] Stelpro releases its Maestro Line-Voltage Thermostat: The SMT402

Hi,

New to smartthings but I have been using Nest and Lutron’s products for a little while now. I do not have a v2 hub but a home smart connect. I hope I’m in the right thread but do not hesitate to let me know if there is a more appropriate place to place this question.

We just bought a few SMT402 for two rooms underserved by the central heating system and I would like to create some automation to sync the SMT402 and our ecobee.

Now, my first challenge is to pair the SMT402 with the hub. I can almost achieve it but not quite!

My hub is on channel XX (which I got from the IDE). I made sure to use the classic app (even though we have a home smart connect). I start by going do “add a thing” on the app. Then I long press the round button which brings me to menu 1. I then press the right button until I see XX. I then press once the round button and the number XX starts blinking and the app shortly after shows the paired Stelpro Thermostat. When I accept the pairing, the thermostat moves to menu 2. I then long press the round button and I am brought back to the main thermostat screen where the “wifi/connection” icon in the top left is present steady… for a few seconds then it disappear.

After than, if I go back to menu 1 on the thermostat, it is back at “Off” instead of XX. On the app side, the thermostat as a device but clearly the bridge cannot connect to it.

I have tried resetting the Thermostat. I have tried it without Bluetooth and nearfield. I’m a bit lost here.

Any suggestion?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hi,

If the connection icon disappear soon after the association attempt, it’s because there are interferences in the signal and the zigbee module “decided” it was not able to connect.

Also, make sure you reduced the signal interferences to the minimum. Since zigbee works on the 2.4Ghz frequency, try to reduce your Wi-Fi and BlueTooth usage during the pairing process, that might help.

If it still does not work, I would suggest you to install a zigbee repeater or a zigbee range extender. (see links below)

https://smartthings.com/shop/samsung-smartthings-dimming-outlet/631

https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=CGW-Z-0010-01-00-ND

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

If can help some others, there is a slightly smaller version too. I’ll probably get one anyway.

https://smartthings.com/shop/samsung-smartthings-outlet

Thank you again @gouroufui

Well, lets say I was hopeful but it did not work.

I brought the home connect/hub within 10 feet of the thermostat. I reset the thermostat. I left my phone 20 feet away from both. Bluetooth off. And I got the same behavior. Hub sees it correctly, reports it is matched. I accept the pairing, it appears in the app, but it is clearly not connected. And on the thermostat, still the icon for about 5 to 10 seconds and it disappears. When going back to menu 1 on the thermostat, it is off.

I should not have to do with zigbee range within 10 feet so I suspect another challenge. Any other suggestion? I hope it works as we were hoping to install 4 of them and create automation with other aspects of our house so using the stelpro controller is not really an option. I know there is another option mentioned on some forums from Quebec but I would rather go with a company that has been around for a while.

Thanks again.

Hi,

Just to be sure, did you try to add a zigbee repeater as suggested?

No, I did not. Honestly, I assumed that if the hub was 10 feet away from the thermostat, it did not need a repeater. I was planning to buy one when I would place the hub back on the main floor (the thermostats will be in the basement). I have a LAN cable already down there so I plugged the hub using it to bring near the thermostat. I figured I would make sure it can connect close proximity before investing in the repeater. Kind of glad I did.

Do you think it needs a repeater even if the hub is 10 feet away?

It depends…
Do you see many Wi-Fi networks in your area?
Since zigbee and Wi-Fi share the same frequency, there might be coexistence issues.

Also, is there any dense obstacle between your hub and your thermostat?
A repeater could help getting around obstacles.

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away for work.

We live in a detached house. Only two networks from our own router (2.4 and 5.0) detectable.

I retried today 3 feet away from the thermostat in direct view. No obstacle at all. Exact same behavior. Getting a bit discouraged here. :expressionless:

I don’t have a Smart Connect, only V2 hubs.
Maybe its related to that, but I’m unsure.
Also, make sure you created your device handler from the code provided at the very first post of this thread.

Do you have the thermostat version? (press the center button for 10 seconds)

I can confirm the device handler is the one found on top

Interestingly enough, my wife noticed that the humidity is not reported now, and has not been for a few days (0%) when it was reporting it correctly when we installed it. Starting to think the unit might be faulty.

When pressing the central button, I land “t” menus. T1 is 22. Before going to the menu I had something that seemed like the “degree” symbol and 5. Not sure if it helps. Let me know.

Hi,

It’s good that you have the correct device handler.

As for the humidity, does it show 0% on the thermostat or on the app?
If it’s on the thermostat, try to power cycle the thermostat. If the problem continue, please contact Stelpro customer care and arrange a thermostat replacement.

As for the connection issue, please try to perform a factory reset to make sure the zigbee module is not stuck in a zigbee network from the test in factory.

When you pressed the central button for 10 seconds, you entered the “t” menus for “Technical” menus.
What you saw on the screen which you described as degree and 5 was meant to represent the Stelpro logo “°S” :slight_smile:
So T1 is 22 (version 2.2), what is T2?

Humidity at 0% was on the thermostat and in the mean time, called electrician as he is planned to come on Friday to install the others (Stelpro or other brand) and he needs to order before end of today to make sure to have the material on time.

Anyway, had already cycled and it fixed the humidity issue :slight_smile:
Tried a few times before already a reset through regular menu 7: not sucessful

It should not be the problem either (zigbee channel) as the hub finds the thermostat during pairing and identifies it correctly as a Stelpro thermostat. It also records correctly the first data on pairing (current temperature displayed in smartthings app is the one that was on the thermostat at pairing). It is just that the connection breaks right after. Maybe that bit might help to clarify the issue.

t2 is 17

If the connection succeeds and identifies the proper device and then the connection breaks, it’s because there is a lot of interferences during the first seconds after the connection.

In that case, a repeater could help.

Other than that, I don’t know.

Thank you very much for your help. It is really appreciated :smile:

On the other hand, frankly, if it is so sensitive to interference that, 3 feet in front of the hub without anything in between, it cannot keep up the connection (nor reconnect), I think it is cause to try something else. As you pointed out, it might be that it is a Smart home connect instead of a usual hub.

I’ll probably try the Sinope Zigbee and report here if it can help someone in my situation.

Again, thank you very much for your responsiveness. Outstanding support :slight_smile:

It’s been a pleasure, I would have preferred that everything was working though.
It’s also possible that this specific device is defective.

The SmartHome connect might also be the issue.

I suggest you contact Stelpro Tech Support to see if you can work an arrangement for your setup.

Ok, figured that since others had luck, it must have had to do with the Smart connect.

Landed on this page: https://support.metageek.com/hc/en-us/articles/203845040-ZigBee-and-WiFi-Coexistence

First, my main wifi was using channel 6. Bad idea for Zigbee. Moved my main wifi to channel 11. No help still.

Then, used https://www.vistumbler.net/ to look at what the “Smart” home connect was doing. It chose channel 5 !! What a bad idea.

I did a reset on the hub and now, the Zigbee channel is 11. That clears completely my main wifi but… the damn samsung “smart” router picked channel 5. I do not know how much it can create interference, but when I retried, still same behavior.

That certainly can mess up your connectivity.
I suggest that you let the Smart connect pick its channel and then select a “free” channel for your Wi-Fi

That’s what I did. The problem is that it keeps picking channel 5 (which is dumb as it was to pick channel 6, there would be no interference.

I had another thermostat so I tried and I had the same behavior.

Now, my main 2.4 is not causing interference anymore. So the possibilities left for me (as it is unlikely that two SMT402 would randomly problematic are slim) are:

1. Incompatibility between Smart connect home and SMT402
  2. Faulty Smart connect home

We’ll see on Friday

Not sure I followed you here.

There is the Wi-Fi channel and the zigbee channel.
My point is that you can force your Wi-Fi router to pick the Wi-Fi channel you want.
So, let the Smart Connect pick its Zigbee channel (11 to 25) and choose a Wi-Fi channel for your router that does not enter in conflict with it.

No, that is the problem, the Smart connect home does not allow you to pick your channel, because it “smart” (right!). I know about the different band/channels (see ref in 2:27 pm message)

But that is a moot point now. I disabled the 2.4 radio on my main router. I also disabled the wifi on the Smart Connect Home too. Verifying with Vistumbler, I get only my 5.0 wifi. Nothing else, especially nothing else on the 2.4 band.

I checked with the smartthings IDE and my zigbee is on band 11.

So I did a reset on the thermostat and tried to repair. I get exactly the same behavior !!

So it does not have anything to do with interference as far as I can tell, at least from WIFI. There was no bluetooth either. No obstacles.

Bottom line, as far as I can tell, there is an incompatibility between the Smart Connect Home and the SMT402 that is outside interference issues.