[RELEASE] Heatit Z-Dim Rotary Dimmer Device Handler (Official)

Contact Heatit for integration with SmartThings

Introducing the Heatit Z-Dim rotary dimmer device handler (DTH)

RBoy Apps is the official SmartThings partner for Heatit products

Heatit Z-Dim is a Z-Wave Plus rotary dimmer for different light sources. The LED dimmer dims at low load without the light flickering. Dimmer LED from 1-200VA, 230V halogen and incandescent bulbs, dimmable LED drivers and electronic transformers. The dimmer fits into standard Elko, Schneider Exxact and Gira System 55 frame systems.

WHERE TO BUY THE THERMOSTAT

The thermostat can be purchased from Heatit and Thermo Floor .

Device Handler Screenshots

Classic App

Key Features of the DTH

• Support for On, Off and Dimming (1% to 100%)
  • Reports metering (requires estimated load to be configured)
    • Power (W)
    • Consumption (KWh)
  • Configuration parameters
    • Estimated load (W)
    • Min/Max dimming levels (%)
    • Dimming sensitivity (no of dimming steps when rotating dial)
    • Dimming duration (speed of change of dimmer)
    • Default dimming level after power failure (%)
    • Default dimming level when switched on after off state (%)
    • Meter reporting interval (seconds)
  • Reports central scene notifications as button pushes (2 to 5)
  • Support for new ST app

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Device handler installation instructions can be found here . Once the device handler is installed, pair the device with the hub:

PAIRING INSTRUCTIONS

• Make sure the device is within 5ft of the hub and sometimes rebooting the hub helps before pairing and keep the ST mobile app open
  • Press the + button the SmartThings app to initiate the pairing
  • Press the rotatory button on the dimmer atleast 6 times quickly to initiate pairing
  • Within 30 seconds the device should show up on the ST app. If it doesn’t show up, exclude and reset the dimmer, reboot the hub, bring the device closer and try again

EXCLUSION INSTRUCTIONS

• Make sure the device is within 5ft of the hub and sometimes rebooting the hub helps before pairing and keep the ST mobile app open
  • Start the device removal or exclusion process on the SmartThings app
  • Press the rotatory button on the dimmer atleast 6 times quickly to initiate exclusion
  • The SmartThings app should confirm if the exclusion was successful. If it doesn’t exclude, try to reset the thermostat

FACTORY RESET

• Press and hold the main rotary button for atleast 20 seconds. The connected load will blink once and go in ‘OFF’ state if successfully reset.

NOTES

• If device isn’t pairing, it may need to be excluded first or reset

You can also check out the following switch control apps

This Device type handler is available on the RBoy Apps Server. Refer to our website or facebook page below for the latest features and to get access to the server.

Visit our Facebook page for updates on new apps and to get Access to ALL our Premium Apps and Server. http://www.facebook.com/RBoySTApps

© RBoy Apps

1 Like

< reserved for future updates >

im confused, so i buy this dimmer, but then do i have to buy your DH or does the generic z-wave dimmer DH work?

1 Like

It works with the generic DH. But if you want to change paramters on the dimmer, use functions like double click, you have to use this handler. It works very well

2 Likes

@RBoy Any idea why I can’t add any of my Heatit Zdim to a Light Group in the new app?

1 Like

It’s a bug with the new ST app, added a workaround for it.

Heatit Z-Dim Rotary Dimmer Device Handler - v01.00.04

• Workaround for new ST app not allowing devices to be added to a lighting group
  • Better support for reporting button usage
  • Report central scenes as button numbers
  • Corrected text in device preferences page

After updating to this DTH you may need to exclude and re-pair the devices for the lighting group changes to take effect in the new ST app.

1 Like

An example of how to trigger Scenes depending on how many times the rotary button is pushed (between 2 and 5 times) on the Z-Dim using Automations in the new ST app.

@RBoy is it really necessary to run zwave.switchMultilevelV3.switchMultilevelGet after the commands in: def on(), def off() and def setLevel(level) The device already reports back when turned on/off/set level. Heatit devices are know for not handling excessive traffic very well. And making the device send two identical reports at the same time seems unnecessary.

Also meter reports every minute (default) also seems unnecessary. The device is rated for max 200W, and it reports a new meter value every 100Wh. So if you run at max rated power you will get a new state change every 30 minutes. So sending the same value every minute sounds like unnecessary traffic.

The reason I ask is that my devices keep locking up and I have to kill the power to get them working again. But when I have removed the zwave.switchMultilevelV1.switchMultilevelGet() and increased the meter report interval (parameter 9) my devices has been working just fine.

I know I’m not the only one with this problem. I have talked to many with the same issue, most of them have resolved the issue by just turning of power/meter reports.

Just thought I would share my experience with the product/DH :slight_smile:

I agree with the meter reporting, currently set to factory defaults but we don’t need a report that often. Will make it configurable in the next update which gives the user more control over it’s performance. That’s what will impact the mesh traffic the most without impacting the functionality.

Heatit Z-Dim Rotary Dimmer Device Handler - v02.00.00

• Update user interface and capabilities for new ST app
  • Increase default reporting interval to 10 minutes to reduce mesh traffic
  • Allow the user to configure the reporting interval

image image

NOTE: The UI cache will need to be cleared for the changes to show up. Change the device handler to a Z-Wave Device and then back to this enhanced device handler from the IDE, then sign out of the ST mobile app and sign back in. If nothing else works, you may need to exclude your device, delete the device handler and reinstall it if the UI does not update after 24 hours.

1 Like

Heatit Z-Dim Rotary Dimmer Device Handler - v02.00.03

• (Fix) Improved dimmer slider operation
  • (New) Added the ability to configure the dimmer level when switched on from off state

Is this device getting edge drivers?

Still wondering. Does anyone know anything about the future of this device?

Wondering the same, @RBoy. Have a house full of these and hoping for edge driver :sweat_smile:

Edit: sorry, just saw this page and it has some info. Migration FAQ's