New smart app to link the virtual/simulated garage door device with two actual devices

Yes, I agree it’s sufficient the way it is. Thanks again for your help! :slight_smile:

Also, I made this to demonstrate it’s usage and how it appears in the app.
Kind of neat to see side-by-side.

Thanks!

great app and thanks everyone for posting and supporting each other

Can someone post complete steps for this app (including how to setup virtual devices) for ST Hub2?.

I have the Garage Relay (LFM-20 relay) and Ecolink Z-Wave Wireless Tilt Sensor - ECO-TILT-US but through trial and error still can’t get to work getting litany of errors.

Thanks for everyone’s input!!

Larry, I just installed this and is working perfectly :slight_smile: Thanks for the link from my roll up door thread.

You might save a few questions if you link to a few tutorials (like the virtual device FAQ: FAQ: Creating a virtual Device ) and also perhaps the runin code tweak…assuming your user is a complete newbee. I am a relative newcomer, but have been through the custom device and smart app route a few times getting my 50 odd devices online.

Again, thanks so much for the app. It completely adds the intelligence I was looking for to the setup :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Dennis

You the man. I changed my relay device type to Z-Wave Virtual Momentary Contact Switch and now my Virtual Garage Door works. However there is a pretty good delay between pressing the button and the actual Garage Door opening. I’m guessing that is the 6 seconds delay you are talking about. Where in the code can I modify that so that it opens and closes faster?

The 6 sec delay is in the virtual device type. read my post 20 in this thread for instructions

I just stumbled on this and I have to say that it works great! This is exactly what I have been looing for. I hooked up a Linear FS20Z relay to old as dirt garage door opener and am using an Ecolink tilt sensor on the door. With the Linear relay set as a momentary contact switch the whole thing worked OK, but it in no way looked like a garage door.

Using this app, I now have something in SmartThings that looks and works like a garage door - like it should. I do not know why this is not more prominent in the forums than it is.

Just wanted to thank you for writing this.

There is one thing that I would like to see added - the ability to turn notifications on/off within the app and not have to go back into the IDE and publish again. Just a thought.

1 Like

Nevermind… I found it. It’s been a long day…

I found it after a bit of digging, after seeing the same problem. Create a new device handler type, from the template of ‘garage door simulator’. change the name in the definition line 17. change the runin times from 6 to 1 on lines 56 and 61.
save it and publish.
then create a new device for your virtual garage door, using the device handler type you just created.
follow the rest of the instructions for setting up in the app.

2 Likes

Recently having a terrible time with syncing issues.
It always gets confused and now one is stuck in “opening” state.

Any ideas how to improve its reliability?

I’m using contact sensor.

Just found this - works great. And the fix for ALexa is awesome…Now to install the dot in my wife’s car(With wifi) - and she can just ask “open garage door #1”…Better than telling it to turn a relay on…thanks

Wondering if there should be something in the smartapp code statements for “opening” or “closing” states. Since you have if statements for “open” and “close” but sometimes it seems it gets stuck in the “opening” state or “closing” state occasionally. Need a failsafe I think to have it go back and check to see if the state is stuck in opening / closing maybe?

I’m an experienced programmer but have little experience working with this system but I might be able to help out.

Also, trying to think if there is a way we can put a manual refresh button on the Virtual Device if it gets jammed up.
No matter what happens, if I manually toggle the garage from the physical switch on the wall a couple of times it stays stuck in “opening”.

Guessing I’ll have to delete everything and re-add it if it doesn’t go away.

this is usually due to issues with the devices you have installed not working correctly, or the smartthings back end dropping messages… check that the contact sensor is reporting reliably.

Hi, thank you for this great app. I got it working on my smartphone and would like to integrate it into Alexa. However, Alexa doesn’t understand when I said “Open/Close Garage Door”, however, saying “Turn on/off garage door” would open/close the actual garage door. It’s usable but sounds really awkward. Is there a way to make Alexa understand “Open/Close”?

th[quote=“Gergor, post:115, topic:25755, full:true”]
Hi, thank you for this great app. I got it working on my smartphone and would like to integrate it into Alexa. However, Alexa doesn’t understand when I said “Open/Close Garage Door”, however, saying “Turn on/off garage door” would open/close the actual garage door. It’s usable but sounds really awkward. Is there a way to make Alexa understand “Open/Close”?
[/quote]

try having alexa use the virtual garage device which has both open/close and on/off instead of the actual switch… it then should understand open.

I name the switch cindy garage door opener
and the virtual garage door “cindy garage door” this is the only one i have in the garage room
the other is just floating around…

make sure the virtual device ie :cindy garage door" is the only one you authorize in the amazon echo smartthings smart app.

Thank you for your reply. I am in fact using a virtual garage door named “garage door”. I said “Open/Close garage door” always got somthing like “I’m not sure how to help you with that” response from Alexa. However, “Turn on/off garage door” always work.

I checked it’s the only one allowed in the amazon echo smartapp.

May be the generic name “garage door” is a problem. Tonight I’ll try to rename it to something more unique…

This is just strange…

I rename it to “home garage door”, now alexa would respond to “open home garage door” but still don’t understand “close home garage door”.

It happened to me several times that after I closed the garage door thru a physical remote or the master switch, the garage door opened on its own after several minutes. Can anyone think of a reason why this may be happening? It makes us feel very insecure that the garage door would open on its own…

I got this working great but i’m having problem integrating it with Alexa, how exactly did you guys go about doing so? thanks.

Edit: what I meant is how to get Alexa work with open and close command instead of turning on and off command. Like @Gergor posted, “home garage door” will work with opening but not with closing.

Hi, I got this working thanks very much for writing it.

Some things I learned.

For a WEMO switch controlled relay just use device type wemo switch.

You have to setup a routine to turn off the switch whenever the switch is activated. Thus making the wemo switch momentary.

You have to create a virtual device in api.smartthings of type “Simulated Garage Door Opener”.

Dont name your relay switch “Garage Door” save that for the Virtual Switch.

Make sure your wemo switch opens and closes the Garage Door before installing this app.

My setup

Wemo Switch $21 Amazon Black Friday
This relay works great, is cheap, looks good, and is super easy to wire up. $8.95 on Amazon