Netatmo Welcome Facial Recognition Security Camera $49.75

Not yet! But will certainly be exploring the API

Note that they have different MAC addresses for LAN and Wifi. If you set it up for WiFi you need to set it up again in app if you plug it into LAN ( Turn it upside down until blue etc etc ) It will NOT recognize hardwire if you just plug it in.

Yes wisdom learned by experience. I set them all up and then moved them around to their perm homes and then wondered why the hardwired ones were still on WiFi until I went and set them up again

1 Like

Hmmm…I thought set up went well, untill this: “Cannot load M3U8 crossdomain access denied”.

Seem to be Security related… Maybe Browser or Firewall…

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cannot+load+M3U8+crossdomain+access+denied&oq=Cannot+load+M3U8+crossdomain+access+denied&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It soundz like a router issue. I’ll have to look into it. Is not working on Android or Windows

1 Like

Just dropping this here for cross reference

1 Like

Since there is an API there should be a way right? Just need bigger brains then mine. And someone with that bigger brain to be board and integrate it wiih ST.

Don’t get your hopes too high, the API doesn’t expose the video, only events. So at best we can get a motion sensor device.

So I solved the problem by rebooting both the router and the cam…

1 Like

Still better then nothing, right?

2 Likes

I thought you could get to the who triggered the event. So if wife walked in door one event triggered if I walk in another & if unknown was seen something else would happen.
I’m just going by the different triggers available on IFTTT . You can use different people seen as different triggers. Be great if I had only had the 1 cam at front door. Not so useful with 8 of them. I don’t need X Harmony routine to start every time I walk through the living room. Although that was sort of my original plan when I got the first one. For people without ST presence . Like my parents & kids have codes to get it, but NWIL I’m giving them access to ST or a presence sensor for the 2-3 times a year they’re here.
A side note the default time out is 4 hours before it decided that somebody has left. If you got multiple cameras you may want to turn it down to 1 hour (lowest setting) . If there is a TV or computer monitor in cams LOS be prepared a lot of unknown faces seen. I created a profile for TV after the wife was watching Netflix on her computer & I ended up with about 50 unknown people seen.

1 Like

Eagerly watching this thread to see if I should buy one (or more) of these. I appreciate the info you guys are providing here for this camera! :raised_hands:

This thing is amazing. I wish I had one for every room of the house. With some creative programming you could use these to get micro location of every one!

2 Likes

Audio and video quality puts Nest & Canary to shame.
The big drawback is that there’s no direct local access & clips are encrypted when recorded to SD card. So if (When) Netatmo cloud goes down we will all have some sexy tin cans sitting on the shelf. That’s the other drawback, no keyhole in the case so they can be mounted on the wall.

Here’s hoping local FTP backup will work if Netatmo cloud goes down. Which is more than we get from Nest, although I don’t see Google in any danger of closing up shop. You never know what the future holds with smaller companies like Netatmo.

1 Like

looking at the lowes product page again today I noticed this:
" Free Video Storage
Free and secure video storage: Storing your videos is free and secure on the included microSD card, with the option of using your FTP server or your Dropbox account as additional storage. "

Seems like local FTP should be a valid option?

Conclusion

In summary, it can be said that in principle, netatmo offers a good protection concept, at least for external attacks. However, users should refrain from using the FTP backup and bear in mind the vulnerabilities concerning local attacks. What’s more, they should consider whether they really want to participate in a program for improving facial recognition.

Yes, just like our Alexa and GH send voice recordings to the respective cloud for processing, Netatmo cams stream video to their cloud for facial recognition processing. The cams record to SD card and then transmit those recordings for processing. You have the option to upload clips to a Dropbox account or to your own FTP server so that you can extend recording history beyond the limits of SD card. Depending on camera location and activity you won’t get much history on the included 8GB card. I swapped mine out for same 32GB I use in my dashcams and 6414s
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5Q1K3O/

Look what is available in the Netatmo API… Can you say…“Live feed”!

3 Likes

So what are you waiting for? Get coding! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

If anyone wants to sale theirs, I’m buying. I need 11 more!

3 Likes