Mobile Presence Stopped working (Android)

I noticed my mobile presence stopped updating in the app on 10/10. This worked “reliably” prior to this date. Only things that changed was had to uninstall and reinstall the ST app.

Things I have tried:

• Remove location permission from ST
  • Force close ST app
  • Clear ST app cache
  • Allow ST to get my location
  • Made sure location was set correctly
  • Set phone location permission to always allow
  • Made sure battery optimization is off
  • filed ST support ticket

I have done this a couple times over the past few days and it has not worked when coming and going from home location.

Any other trouble shooting I missed?

Here is the response I just got from Suppot

I’ve gone through your account details and I see that “Galaxy S10e” is added to your account and I see that it has been added as “placeholder”, which indicates that devices has been not added properly.

So I request you to once remove and re-add the mobile presence and check how does it goes.

If you are still facing the issue please feel free to reach us back.

Best regards,

Samsung SmartThings Support.

Just called Samsung support.they had me delete mobile device from IDE, clear app cache, uninstall and reinstall app, grant all app permissions, allow get location from device.

It is now working.

As of this morning mobile presence (geofencing) is not working again. Did the steps I listed above and did not work this time. Is anyone else having this issue on Android?

1 Like

Yes, every days! a random in my smartphone Oneplus 6T and in yhe smartphone of my wife Huawei P20 lite. In my phone every time the presence position not work fine, I power off and power on again my phone and the position change correctly.
I try a lot of time your situation:

• Remove location permission from ST
  • Force close ST app
  • Clear ST app cache
  • Allow ST to get my location
  • Made sure location was set correctly
  • Set phone location permission to always allow
  • Made sure battery optimization is off

work for 1 or 2 days and after the problem come back.

I think is a problem not of the phone but of the integration of Smartthings. :frowning:

Seeing similar issue with my Wife’s new iPhone 13. It works sometimes and other times I have to open her ST app to force it to check in. Very frustrating. Not sure if new phone issue or some update. My iPhone 12 is and has been working fine for presence.

1 Like

I gave up trying to use SmartThings as mobile presence. I started using Alexa location based routines to activate a vEdge presence sensor and it has worked reliably for 3 days 100% of the time.

1 Like

Mine stopped working with the most recent update. I have tried all of the same “fixes” and it simply does not work anymore.

1 Like

I’m glad I’m not alone. In addition to using Alexa for location I created a second virtual presence sensor which is linked to ST just so I can keep an eye it if/when it starts working again.

can you explain to me exactly what you did? I am using life360 now, it works fine, but I am happy to evaluate other less invasive solutions on battery eprivacy.
I don’t use Alexa because I use google home, but the nerdy part of me made me buy and activate an Alexa device too, which is active and therefore I could use it for the location

If you’re not in the US you will need to make sure Alexa offers location services.

In Alexa app if you haven’t added your home location you’ll need to do that.
Under settings → your location → add your home location.
In phone settings, allow location all the time and access to storage.

In ST
I created a virtual presence sensor. I used this edge driver. (You can also use a Simulated Alexa Switch if your not wanting to play with edge yet).

In Alexa app
If your Alexa app is setup and linked to ST your device should auto discover. If not, run device discovery. (May need to run it more than once)
Then create 2 routines.
If enter Home location turn on ST virtual device
If exit Home location turn off ST virtual device

If you need more help let me know.

Edited to add: you can adjust the size of the geofence for each enter/exit routine as you create them.

1 Like

Thank you, I live in Italy :it: and i think this service not work, becouse in Alexa setting I ad the address of my house but i don’t see menu ou ask me if I want Track my device.
Thanks anyway for your help