Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices

I have 100 plus devices - all of the above plus some, like Wemo, Arlo & Nest cams, Lutron Caseta, etc. Here is the response I received from support for the issue I have with Smart Light app specifically related to lights on motion. Just so you know what you may get into, if you do make the switch now (personally I would not have made the switch if I didn’t kill many of my apps, as soon as the v2 preorder was in)

"I apologize for the delayed response.

I submitting that bug report for you to make sure your voice is heard on this matter. Unfortunately, I don’t have much to offer as far as workarounds for the time being. I completely understand your frustration though.

What I can tell you is that when they develop a fix for this bug, it will be deployed out as soon as possible :)"

1 Like

Just so you’re aware I am a planner. The plan everything. My feeling was that doing the migration now is just preparation for the devices that are coming out in the future.I figured it would be easier to do it with less devices. I started by reading everything I could about how to best do the migration. I documented everything and put the plan together. I had all of my user manuals with me in any other instructions and may need for deleting and adding devices. I made sure nobody was home and I began to work. 2 hours later I was completely finished. Now, I only have 30+ devices but it really was not that bad. Once I got used to the room setting I truly do not miss the dashboard anymore. I’ve had a couple of small issues but nothing earth shattering.

1 Like

Here’s a hurdle you might want to avoid if you plan on converting your custom devicetypes to take advantage of the new “multiAttributeTile”:
Contrary to the 2.0 documentation note that states,

*[The multiAttributeTile() type option are currently a placeholder. The specified type does not change how the tile will appear.][1]*

…that is most definitely not true in practice (at least on Android). I was modifying my Nest thermostat device handler using a ‘type’ of “thermostat” (naturally), but the SECONDARY_CONTROL text would not render… UNTIL I changed to type:“lighting”. The same thing happened with my EcoNet vents - “generic” seemed to be the best match, but SECONDARY_CONTROL only worked with “lighting” type.

The only “amazing” reason is that sooner or later you will need to do it. My decision to pull the plug on v1 was that continuing to build and fine tune my set up, will make it that much more painful when I do need to move to the new hub…

6 Likes

OK, I am about half way through this thread and apologize if my questions were answered later…I have to stop reading for now :smile:

I have read the “official” migration doc and read through some stuff here including what Alex (the CEO) did, I have some questions.
According to the docs you have to remove all SmartApps and then remove all devices from Routines. Then remove each device one by one which will prompt for the Z-Wave exclusion, then delete your Location and unplug your hub.

Can you not just unplug your hub, plug in your new hub, create a new location, then start the one by one exclusion/inclusion like Alex said?
Or did he already have all the the other steps completed first?

My hub is completed and ready so I assume I will get a shipping notification soon and just want to have a plan. I did order a Minimote to make things easier (I wanted one anyway).
It would be nice to have them hooked up side by side and move one thing at a time but I just don’t know if that’s the best idea.
I don’t mind doing it the hard way but just needed clarification.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, you can use the new hub’s general exclude to reset the devices.

I finally got through this whole thread, alot of information.
I think I have a better understanding of what to do now with just a few minor questions.

1. Do I have to remove all my SmartApps from the IDE after I uninstall them all from my hub or does deleting the Location take care of that (or does deleting the Location on the hub not delete it from the IDE)? Sorry I get confused sometimes between the hub and the IDE :smile:

2. I have the Github integration setup so everything I need should be “backed up” locally like my SmartApps and custom device types so I should just need to move all of that back over once my Location is deleted (if it’s deleted in my first question), right?

My hub is due in today so I am going to start making a list of all my devices and how to reset/exclude them. Thanks for all the info!

No. You don’t need to remove your personal apps and your custom device types as they will remain.

3 Likes

Similar question. Can we just nuke the v1 location without wasting time removing apps and devices? I’d rather just general exclude + include in one pass on the install of v2. VIP support told me “I could try.” Not the insight I was looking for.

1 Like

With the possible exception of the Hue hub, I believe you can. You can do the z-wave excludes from the new hub, and all of the zigbee devices just get reset.

2 Likes

And with the help of support. I don’t think you can remove the location without first deleting everything, or at least I wasn’t able to. I had to get support to do it for me.

2 Likes

Hi Mr_Lucky!

I verified this odd behavior today on an Android device and logged a ticket. It most definitely should be showing up for type:“generic”, and should be showing up for all of them.
I verified that the SECONDARY_CONTROL does indeed show up for types of “generic” and “thermostat” on iOS. So some parity between the two OS’s needs to be seen.
I’ll update again once the bug has been addressed.

Thanks for pointing this behavior out!
Dave

1 Like

Has anyone had any success migrating or adding additional users to the v2? I ran the migration a while back before the process had really been straightened out so the 2 additional existing user accounts I had defined were unceremoniously dumped when I deleted the Location. I’ve since uninstalled and re-installed the ST IOS app on their iPhones and have re-invited the users. Neither user is able to logon to the new environment. I’ve had a support ticket open for a little over a week and the last I’ve been told is that user invitations are not working with no ETA.

This is killing the perception of ST in my house. I’m the only one that can use the application and the other two are getting frustrated. Has anyone else run into any problems like this?

There have been multiple topics discussing this issue in the Mobile App section of the forum. It’s happening to a lot of people. :cold_sweat:

1 Like

Im set to start transferring my devices to the new hub, my understanding is Smart things states you have to remove them from your old hub one by one and then add to the new hub one by one. I read a very interesting review on Amazon where a user simply created a new location and transferred the devises over via the app.

Has anyone done this? Does this work?

I just wanted to write in that I just migrated and had around 7 Quirky Trippers and was able to add all of them with zero issues. I popped the cover off, removed the battery, held the little black button while inserting the battery and the hub picked them right up. All went well for me :smile:

1 Like

I have two hubs under one location.

Has anyone migrated to the V2 hub but is still running the 1.7.x Android app? Wondering if there are any issues with continuing to use the older app until they get the 2.0 app problems cleared away.

@xcguy, I have one tablet still running 1.7.x now that I’m using hub 2.0. I haven’t run into any issues yet.

One thing I can’t find in app 2.0 is where ST has automatic notifications set up like in the old app. In 1.7.x if you went in to Hello Home and then to create a new action, there was automatic notifications for Low Battery Warnings and Hub Offline Warning at the bottom of that screen. In app 2.0 I have no idea where that is. Luckily I was able to use the old app to set back up notifications.

I don’t have many things setup as I was waiting for v2. Can I just start over or do I need to disconnect things.