Migration to V2 - Hurdles and Best Practices

Are you using the Hue Bridge? While an official integration, it cannot run locally.

No, but I do have WeMo integration. However the WeMo switches are not used in these Routines or SmartApps. I should try ditching them and see what happens. I have the switches on had to swap them out as well.

For me, the devices I have confirmed to run locally are z-wave switches (several brands and types [switches, outlets, and pug-ins] that all use the same device type) and z-wave metering switches (I have two types from Aeon Labs).

Smart Lighting apps that use just these devices run locally. I have several Smart Lighting apps that use motion sensor and door contacts but are all hooked to hue bulbs so they don’t run locally. I may change a few to run with z-wave switches to see if the motion/contact sensors are running locally too.

Has anyone joined their Aeon Home Energy Monitor to the V2 hub? I’m not sure how to get it back into discovery mode. There is a button inside the battery compartment but I’m unsure of what needs to be done with it.

First exclude, then include. Both are done in the same way, by pressing the button located near the batteries. Make sure you have batteries in the device.

1 Like

What if you forget that you had it but already removed the V1 hub? :smile:

Repeat the Bear Step @3one5 and continue.

1 Like

Do a general exclude from v2. Same thing.

Hi all, Two quick questions while I strategize for my migration…

1. Aeon Minimote Exclude. I know I can exclude devices with this. Is the exclusion mode dependent on it being joined to the same network as the device? If, so, does the hub (v1) have to be up? Can it also broadcast a general exclude signal?

2. Location deletion. Can support just nuke my entire v1 location without me deleting all the apps and devices? Seems quicker to just do that and worry about excluding/including devices to the new hub, than waste an hour uninstalling apps and running around deleting+excluding devices.

Thanks!

Can support just nuke my entire v1 location

I hope so. I had installed Smart Home Monitor. I tried to delete everything, but SHM still has ties to the devices. I can’t remove SHM or devices in linked to.

I’ve had a support request in since early Saturday, and I’m still waiting. The email saying that my integration has been flagged as a priority - not sure what that means???

I didn’t find the aeon minimote that helpful but at the end I was sort of pushing exclude button on minimote and trying the hub exclude on the app. Whatever worked. I think nuking your v1 location will remove all smartapps but it doesn’t exclude everything. I found I had to exclude devices to include them again on v2 hub even though everything seemed to be removed from v1 hub. Maybe that’s because of what the gurus mention above e.g. exclude devices farthest from hub first. (I didn’t do that)
The official migration instructions didn’t mention many of things the above including which things to exclude first. I do think excluding a device from v1 and including on v2 immediately did eliminate confusion of figuring out which sensor was which. Remember you lose the specific device name when you exclude it and try to include it on new hub. If you have fewer devices < 30 then you don’t have to follow all advice to a point. If you have a 100 devices, you really should follow a strict protocol to keep your sanity.

Nuking the location will not erase the zwave controller ID that is stored in the individual end devices, you’ll still have to exclude those individually.

Again, for security reasons zwave requires that either the controller pass its entire network to another controller (controller replication, which SmartThings doesn’t do) or that the person demonstrate they have physical access to each end device by pushing a button or whatever the manufacturer has required.

So removing the location from the SmartThings database doesn’t change the requirement that you exclude each zwave device before you can include it to a new controller.

OK, I have to ask everyone’s opinion in here, is setting up to Hub V2 worth it? I had just finished documenting my 90+ devices, what protocol, device type, brand ( so i can know how to exclude it easily), and other important details.

I was just about to start tearing down my network, and I realized that I would LOSE the extra dashboard options I have when i tore down and rebuilt.

Is it worth it yet? Is ANYONE noticing any huge benefits? I like the idea of rebuilding my network and getting rid of old devices etc, but I really don’t want to lose the dashboard in my iOS app since the Things view is not able to be ordered and I can change views of it.

I was that close to starting, and now i’m rethinking.

Any opinions from people who have the Hub v2 up and running?

1 Like

I would guess that it partially depends on if you have any cameras that can take advantage of the live video stream/record on alert.
After a couple of days, I like the rooms view over the old dashboard. I also use SmartTiles a lot.
All of my problems with the migration have been solved so I’m happy with it.

1 Like

I’m only use Foscams so no go on that. Is the responsiveness of the lights better, or responsiveness of motion detector’s trying the lights?

The rooms view is not good for me, I just have too many devices and can’t group them as well as I would like. The dashboard I can put the same item in mulitple places if it has temperature or open/close etc not like the rooms.

1 Like

That makes sense. Different people, different usages :smile:

The lights are pretty instant for me after the upgrade. They were never too bad before, but they seemed to have more variation in how long it took in v1, vs more consistently quick in v2. I definitely had to wait for lights at times before and I haven’t thus far. To be fair, that also could be due to small sample size since it’s only been set up on v2 a short while. I can’t speak for the motion detectors turning on lights, as I only have that in one place at the moment, and it turns on a light in my bedroom ahead of me [when it’s dark out and I’m heading that direction] - so even if there was a delay, I wouldn’t notice it.

I just completed the migration of my devices. I don’t see a significant boost in performance if anything, some things are much worse. It seems to me that a significant portion of labs apps have been removed. The garage door integration is no longer available. The Smart Light app is not working properly, so I am using old apps, which means no local processing. I have several tickets that I am still waiting to be addressed. Overall experience was not good for me.

@SBDOBRESCU How many devices do you have and what variety? I have a bit of everything, Sonos, Quirky, Zwave (motion, contact, switches, receptacles), Zigbee (motion, contact, moisture)…
Minimotes and energy plugs and power strips, Hue, Zwave door lock, Foscams.

I have several custom device types and SmartApps.

Besides Camera integration, has anyone found an amazing reason to upgrade?

I think that’s the one big reason to upgrade.
To be honest, in your situation with the dashboard as you like it, I would skip if I was in your shoes.

1 Like

I have overall better performance from my z-wave and zigbee devices but to be honest the improvement could be from the rebuilding process. My Sonos and Hue seem to be working marginally better.

Local processing is a big reason for me. I only have a few running locally at the moment but see big improvements over the old smart apps I was using. As they enable more apps and devices to run locally I see this as big feature.

Camera integration is meaningless to me. I have a lot of network cameras (none of which are supported) and inalreadybhave the ability to record and view remotely… I probably wouldn’t switch them to Smartthings even if they were supported.