Main Water Valve Integration with New(ish) Smart Hone

I’m setting up a smart home and looking to add a main water shut off valve and leak sensors. Currently I’m using Google Home Assistant (Home Hub 2), Smart things (without a hub as of now), HubSpace (Home Depot brand), Nanoleaf and possibly Smart Life for WiFi devices. I’m staying away from Home Kit and Alexa, but have a Matter open/close sensor, so a Matter compatible solution would be ideal.

I was considering getting a ST hub and ST (or other zigbee compatible) leak sensor and looking for a shut off valve. For the valve, I’m looking for a DIY solution that doesn’t involve calling a plumber to install. I’ve seen a few options that either turn the existing valve handle (WiFi based, using the SmartLife app) or replace the handle , but keep the main valve (Yolink). Is there a DIY valve solution that works with ST?

Thoughts on YoLink? I see it’s not compatible with ST, but it is with Google Home and IFTTT. Is it a reliable system? They support other types of sensors too (open/close, motion etc) all using the LoRA standard.

I’ve been more and more impressed with the Yolink offerings over the last year. Some clever engineering, good product, reviews, reasonable prices. But at the time of this writing as you know, the only integration with SmartThings is via Alexa routines.

One thing you might not know is what SmartThings requires in order to utilize matter devices. For one thing, you must have a smartthings/Aeotec hub.

See the community FAQ on requirements for using matter with SmartThings:

FAQ: What do I need to add a Matter device to the SmartThings app? Do I need a bridge router device?

Good to hear about YoLink. It looks like a good option since it integrates the leak sensors with the water valve. I probably don’t need a lot of routines and can set some up in Google Assistant. This is a vacation home.

At my main home, I have a ST hub v2 and paired with a Google Home Hub, I can use Matter devices in ST. I would either get a v2 hub or the Aeotec hub for the vacation home. The Aeotec hub is probably the easiest one to get my hands on.

1 Like

As far as specific devices that can turn valve handle and work with a SmartThings/Aeotec hub, Zooz has a popular Zwave version, and zwave sometimes works better for these applications because it has a longer range than the Zigbee devices that work with SmartThings. (Wi-Fi has even longer range, for what it’s worth.) this device is much better engineered and can handle more force than any of the tuya made (Smartlife compatible) versions. So it is more expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for. Also, Zooz is the house brand for the specialty retailer The Smartest House. They have very good tech-support and historically the company has done its best to keep up with any SmartThings architecture changes.

It often costs less at the smartest house website

2 Likes

I also have an Aqara T1 water leak sensor at the main house, but it keeps going offline and online, on its own. I moved it within a couple feet of the ST hub and it didn’t make a difference. Not impressed with Aqara so far.

I didn’t see a valve or water sensors compatible with HubSpace yet.

I’m very happy with aqara and have a lot of their devices, but I use them with their own hub and then bridge them into other platforms. As of a few months ago, I can bridge them into SmartThings via matter, and I have found them to be much more reliable in that configuration. :man_shrugging:t2:

That’s interesting, the ST water sensors never go offline … The Aqara one does it 2-3 times a day.

You’ll find lots of discussion of this in the forum. It seems like the most likely explanation is that the aqara devices check in in the 60th minute and SmartThings expects them to check in before the 60th minute starts. The Zigbee specification is open to interpretation on this particular point, so it’s an issue that does come up on other platforms also.

On top of that, though, SmartThings has implemented their own “online“ status check and it just causes a lot of issues for a lot of people. Devices will be marked “off-line“ in SmartThings when they still work with their own app or even with other integrations. As I said, it seems to be an issue in the SmartThings architecture, which doesn’t mean they’re wrong, but it might mean the devices work better when bridged.

2 Likes

What about the ST Station for $60? It supports ZigBee and Matter, but not Z-wave. Any ZigBee valves out there that can use the existing valve?

I found the Sedna – Smart water valve by Sinope, but it replaces an existing valve.

What about this one …
Zigbee Water Valve, Tuya Smart Water Valve Shutoff, Automatic Ball Valve Watering Timer, Sprinkler Controller, Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant and App iOS/Android, Wireless Remote Control https://a.co/d/hPooQLG

Tuya made devices Typically have cool features, but are also very inexpensive for a reason. They generally lack most safety certifications and have less expensive materials and engineering. They also use a lot of proprietary code, which means it can be quite challenging to integrate them with SmartThings unless you bring them in through a matter bridge and their matter bridge is brand new and so far seems pretty glitchy. And I don’t think it supports any of their water valves.

Here’s the FAQ on integration:

FAQ: Using Tuya Zigbee Devices Directly With a SmartThings/Aeotec Hub (2024)

Note that Tuya is an OEM manufacturer so their devices get rebranded and resold by literally dozens of different Chinese companies which means you can get exactly the same model as somebody else, but it won’t work right away because it might have a different fingerprint due to having a different manufacturer code or different firmware level.

They are often manufactured to look identical cosmetically to a different product with better engineering, which I also personally find annoying. They are pretty much the definition of “knockoff“ in this space.

The extra effort it takes to get them integrated with SmartThings might be worth it to some people because of the very cheap cost. As an engineer, I prefer better made devices.

If I recall correctly, the torque on the tuya valve Turner is about 1/4 that of the Zooz, but I don’t remember the exact specifications. It’s something you can check.

Also note this warning on the Amazon product page that you linked to

1 Like

Here’s a recent discussion with the typical comments about the Tuya valve not having enough torque:

Smart Life / Smarthings -- Valve for Leaks

I know leaksmart used to make a Zigbee valve shutoff that seem to be pretty well engineered. @johnconstantelo might have some thoughts, he uses a lot of Zigbee kit. :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for tagging me @JDRoberts .

@neod192, I don’t like those types of valves because of how they attach to pipes and the torque needed to close the valve, especially tight valves.

I went with a zigbee leaksmart valve that i installed after my home’s main valve. While the installation is more involved, i feel better knowing this kind of valve is there. Its super reliable and has a battery backup, and it self tests monthly.

2 Likes