Solution: "Cheap" water leak detection and water shut off

Hi,

I think it may be a common topic/question, but I never found anything here that would explain which solution works with Smartthings well and is cheap.

So I was able to setup a water shutoff when water leak is detected and thought I would share. You can see the video here (at least until my google photos are full):

I use Smartthings hub obviously,
4 Smartthings Water Leak sensors (maybe other cheaper sensors work as well?): https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-GP-U999SJVLCEA-SmartThings-Water-Sensor/dp/B07XZ833L2/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=smartthings+water+leak&qid=1602940938&sr=8-2

And what is the most important thing, Zigbee Water Valve actuator from aliexpress. (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001038902712.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3d134c4dMc4r1U)

Be careful, first time I bought one from “Moes” seller and unfortunately got a wifi “smart life” version, even though description said “zigbee”. From the link above i got a zigbee version.

I added the valve into the smartthing app (it found a “Thing” without any features), and then modified a handler to “Zigbee Valve”:

Now in Smartthings app I get the valve and the integration with Smart Home Monitor as expected.

Also what is important, all sensors and valve actuator is processed locally (didn’t try without internet but I expect it to work). [CORRECTION: According to JDRoberts it’s not processed locally - see below]

Hope it helps anybody looking for a clear solution to water shutoff automation,
Jerzy

3 Likes

Nice write up! I’m sure it will help a lot of people. :sunglasses:

One small point: the old Smart Home Monitor (SHM) from the classic app was able to do some things locally. However, it will be going away when the classic app goes away in a few weeks. And the new security feature, SmartThings Home monitor (STHM) does not run anything locally, it’s all cloud-based. in the new V3 app, only some parts of The official smart lighting feature run locally at this time.

Good to know, even though it’s disappointing that it’s not local. Thanks.

1 Like

Jerzy, ignore what was written above, some people are just too clever for their own good and like to complicate life. This DOES run locally, and will turn the valve off without internet. Thanks for sharing :+1:

As I mentioned above, the valve controller can be setup to run locally through the official smartlighting feature, but not through SmartThings Home Monitor, which is how the OP did it. So if you want it to run locally, that’s fine, you just have to know where to set up the automation. That will matter to some people.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m running it through ST Home Monitor. So I will stick with what JDRoberts says. It’s a good idea that I could set it up through smartlighting to try to get it running locally. On the other hand I would rather see ST team modify it to run such things locally. I think it’s what every ST user would like to see modified.

I get that lights require internet to switch on/off (although it’s a terrible idea), but alarms, smoke detectors, and leak detectors… come on :). We will see what happens after the local automations are enabled and a shift towards new driver model (it’s supposed to be local oriented) is completed, but right now it just silly.

I have my phone in repair, but after I get it back I need to take a look at new automations.

1 Like

Thanks for the post, Where can I find the device handler?

It’s a stock dth called ZigBee Valve.

3 Likes

Any guidance on HOW you added it to SmartThings? I followed the link above, ordered the same valve (showed up with the Zigbee 3.0 label, so I assume it’s correct), but when I try and pair it with the Hub, it never completes - the App just stays on the “Pairing” screen. I tried using the Generic Z-Wave handler, but so far - nothing. Any advice?

Zigbee and zwave are two different protocols transmitting different commands on different radio frequencies. So if it’s a zigbee Device you must use a zigbee handler, a Zwave handler won’t work. I see there is a stock DTH called “zigbee valve“, did you try that one?

Other than that, I don’t know anything about this particular device, so hopefully someone who does will chime in.

Hi. I don’t remember exact process of getting it to pair. I think it was a usual: start looking for devices nearby on hub then power the valve and press/hold/do a dance on the device to go into pairing mode. It should detect a “thing”. Then go into the web smartthings groovy UI and change the handler to “Zigbee Valve” handler. That was it. Do you have any manual for the valve? What did it say to do to get it into pairing mode?

Also if you already followed the manual and switched it to pairing mode, there is one possibility that I would not focus on right now: there is exactly the same valve but in wifi type. I received it first time I ordered this valve (different seller than in link i posted). It was wifi type, even though described on auction as zigbee. I don’t know if they sent it on purpose or by mistake bet there was a comment from another buyer with the same problem. So if we can’t pair it, we can check what type is that.

1 Like