Kwikset convert Zwave

So I got one of these model #99140-103 Kwikset Convert zwave plus locks. It wont pair to smartthings via the instructions. It wont exclude either. I’ve reset it several times and retried. The only way I have gotten it to pair but not recognize it as a lock is to press the A button multiple times while pairing. Then it only recognizes it as a thing without any ability to have any sort of action. Can anyone help?

After it pairs as a Thing, go into the IDE and edit the device and change Type to Zwave Lock without codes. I have the zigbee version and had to do the same thing but with the Zigbee handler.

1 Like

John thanks for the reply. I am a recent convert from Wink to smartthings. How do I get to the IDE?

No problem, and Welcome!

1 sec while I look up a previous post for you on how to use the IDE. It’s our developer site where there’s a ton of info available to you.

Be right back…

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Ok, well I couldn’t find the exact post I had, so let’s work off of memory :wink:

Start here:

https://account.smartthings.com/

That’s the IDE. Use the same Samsung credentials as you do for the mobile app.

Once there, you will see these “tabs” across the top:

If you don’t have a lot of devices, click on My Devices, otherwise go to My Locations, click on your location, then click on the Room where the device “lives”. Click on your device.

You’ll end up at the device details page, which is very very helpful. Here you can change a few things for the device, as well as see device event logs. Here’s a small snippet:

Scroll down and click on Edit:

Change the Type field. Here’s mine:

You have 3 options from the list:

I would go ahead with “Z-Wave Lock” vs what I told you earlier. That should work just fine, assuming your Zwave mesh is healthy. You can also try the one I mentioned above. I can’t see ST’s github code for the other handler, so I’m not sure what that one actually does compared to the others.

Give that a shot and let us know how it goes?

Thanks. I’ll try it. I suppose I cant screw it up worse than it not working??? Hopefully I’ll be back with success!

LOL, nope not really! Poke around in the IDE when you’re all done too, especially things like Live Logging.

Soooooo, it worked but I actually had to call it a zigbee lock. It wouldn’t recognize it as a zwave lock. Something strange with that I think. It is labeled zwave plus and a part number 99140-103 but when I changed it in the IDE to zwave it wouldn’t go online. For sh1t5 and grins I tried it as zigbee and it worked. Does that mean it’s actually zigbee and not zwave?

Oh now that’s interesting. Where did you get it? If the Zigbee Lock DTH worked, then it’s certainly Zigbee and not Zwave (and that’s not a bad thing either).

Is the box labeled as Zwave Plus or the module?

It’s the whole lock and the box is labeled zwave plus. Bought it from amazon.

Wow, yep you sure have something swapped around. Was it new? When you look at the detail of that device in the IDE, do you see something like this:

You probably have a newer lock that I do based upon what looks like a mfg date in the lower right corner of that label.

I’ll be honest and let you know that I got rid of my Zwave lock for this Zigbee lock, and I’ve never ever had a problem since. There’s a long story behind that, but I think you’ll be just fine.

If you have a warranty return to Amazon, you may have some challenges with Amazon, so just be aware of that.

1 Like

The one thing I may look at now that I see mine and yours is that I may change the DTH to Zigbee Lock Without Codes. SInce it doesn’t have codes, I’d hate for the DTH to be trying to constantly scan the device for them and cause unwanted battery drain. I’m going to experiment with one of the two I have.

EDIT!

Here’s an interesting find. Zigbee Lock is NOT a local device handler, but the Zigbee Lock Without Codes is local! I wonder when that changed.

So does that mean without codes operates local on the network?

Yup:

As ST does more to support local execution of device handlers, and especially Automations, Scenes, and other capabilities, this lock will be able to take advantage of those improvements as they happen over time.

I switched mine to without codes and works fine so far. Thanks for helping out a noob! I appreciate it. Now I need to solve what to do with my wink relays.

1 Like

I do have one more question. all other devices I have are zwave. This lock is the only zigbee device. What are the drawbacks to that?

There are no drawbacks at all. If the lock works and responds, then you should be just fine, especially if it’s relatively close to the hub. Over time if you add more zigbee devices, like bulbs or sensors, you should consider adding a zigbee repeater device like an outlet, switch, or wall plug. There are several really good ones out there.