Issues Connecting with Cree Connected Bulbs

I bought three Cree connected bulbs to use in two lamps that require two turns of the switch to come on and two turns of the switch to turn off. Ex: Click-click-on. Click-click-off. I believe these are 3-way bulb switches…? I put two different Cree bulbs into each of these lamps and no matter what I do, including the reset procedure multiple times, I can’t get them to pair. The bulb that went into a small table lamp with a standard on/off switch paired instantly. Will these bulbs not pair with lamps that are set up to accept 3-way bulbs, or is my issue not connected to this at all? I’ve been trying for over a week now to get these things paired and am getting very frustrated that I can’t really use my new system for the main reason I got it.

1 Like

Yeah, you’re going to have a really difficult, if not impossible, time trying to get it to work with a 3-way switch. It seems that the best way to get the Cree bulbs to pair is to quickly flick the power to them off and on repeatedly. In your case, it’s going to be off for two cycles, and then on for one cycle, etc. Unless you’re super fast at cycling through the various phases, you won’t be able to get it to work.

I’d suggest putting it into a standard on/off switched circuit, and pair them. From that point, you’ll be able to move them to a multi-phase socket, and they should work fine in there.

2 Likes

@eternalwolf - I did what you said and it worked like a charm. After lots of back and forth via email with ST customer support over several days - their responses came in the wee hours and I could not reach them via phone or their chat window - I never got resolution from them. Thank you very much for providing effective information!

1 Like

Hello everyone,

This is Aloysius from Cree’s Connected Bulb support team. I apologize for the troubles some of you may be having. Please go ahead and try resetting our bulbs with the following procedure which should resolve all the issues.

Here is how to manually reset the bulb,

Our Cree Connected bulbs need to be turned on for 1 second and then off for 2 seconds over and over until there is a noticeable flash letting the user know the bulb has been hardware reset.

-Note: The (1-sec-on : 2-sec-off) iterations can be done with a stopwatch but it isn’t an exact science. Basically you need to turn it off long enough for the power to become completely exhausted in the capacitor and then add power back to the capacitor and do process again. Bulb is meant to hardware reset after 4 iterations.

This procedure is most easily done with a regular light switch rather than screwing the bulb in and out of the fixture by hand. Most bathrooms are a good candidate since they generally have easy access fixtures with a light switch. Also, please don’t use a 3 way switch for resetting.

I hope this helps,

Sincerely,
Aloysius
From Cree Support

4 Likes

Had a terrible time connecting Cree and GE bulbs until figuring out the wifi cable gateway from att uverse was causing the problem. Turned the wifi off and after resetting the bulbs once could then pair them with the hub in approx. 30 seconds. Dont know if Cree has other issues beyond this possible solution, but it worked for me.

1 Like

Aloyslus,

I just bought four of these today to replace my GE Link bulbs that would randomly disconnect.
I have NOT been able to get these paired. I have tried your suggested method of off for 2 seconds on for 1 x 4 interactions. On last cycle the bulb flashes once then stays on. Do I turn it off then back on and try to search for new devices in ST or do I leave it on after last iteration?
I have no trouble getting the bulb to flash but can’t get it paired. Is there something I’m missing?

This is what I’m doing, hopefully the video link works:
https://goo.gl/photos/HYYgTPEwJpnBxqSWA

4 bulbs, 1 paired, same process. What gives? Bad bulb I think.

Hi Brad,

You will want to turn off the Cree bulb after resetting it. Keep it off and then make your Smart Things app search for Cree Connected Bulbs to pair. After the app is showing that the ST hub is searching for bulbs you will then want to turn on your bulb.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Aloysius Conway
From Cree Support

Are all other wifi devices turned off???

I have gone as far as to turn off all my WIFI in the house. Nothing works. Since this message, I have gone to yet another Home Depot and replace 3 more of the bulbs with new ones, no luck. I spent an hour on the phone with SmartThings tech who wasn’t able to make this work and went through all the same type basic troubleshooting.
Tried different lamps at different distances nothing works.

The reset sequence I can do in my sleep and have for a few days now.
I get the flash then wait for anywhere between 30 seconds and 10 minutes.
I think these bulbs just are NOT compatible although I have ONE bulb out of the 10 that I purchased that works. No idea why or how it pair but it was the same processes.

I have a ticket in at Cree but haven’t heard back yet.

If it’s a Cree Connected bulb it’s definitely compatible, I have four which work just fine, many others have many more…

The problem I encountered was due to the kids being able to flip the lights on and off with a standard light switch. I’ve gone to mostly using smart switches instead. I’ve since locked out the switches to the fixtures that have smart bulbs. I have yet to have another problem.

Two of my Cree’s are getting stuck at turning off today (pre ST hub firmware update) and in the IDE it shows as On and Level 0. I may have accidentally switched it off probably manually in the Powder Room. Will check once I get home. If not, it goes in the trash to be replaced by Hue White. Its a PITA getting these to reset and add them back. As such they don’t work locally.

Other than Hues and things for LED strips, I think I’m completely done with smart bulbs, I just hope something like a GE 12722 can turn on/off a single ~12W LED bulb…

Neutrals are a major issue in my late sixties house. So, it’s like already 25 hues and family products and 6 dimmers/remotes to control them. Just a couple of Crees that I am getting rid of.

Good point, I’m fortunate that (in the switches I have looked at so far) there are neutrals. That being said there is supposedly a minimum load.

Slightly off topic here. I bought dozen plus zwave switches from that Amazon deal couple of weeks back but returned them coz of freaking neutrals.

Btw, others are reporting Cree connected issue. I did not bother trying to fix it.

Update: it miraculously started working again.

Although j don’t believe the Cree bulbs were the issue, I got them working again. I flipped the breaker to “reboot” the bulbs and rebooted the hub again. All is now working.

Nice! If that it worked for you! :slight_smile: what’s the breaker you talk about (with due respect) which you had to flip. :slight_smile: and honestly want to know.