Ok maybe I am missing something. I have the gen 2 iris contact sensor. I am using the temp part of it, not the contact part of it. When I look at it in the ST app I want it to show the temp, not the contact stats. I can’t find a way to make this happen. Is there a way ?
Current app does not let you chose which tile to ‘feature’ anymore. That ‘feature’ was taken away with one of the updates to the app. Yea sucks, I would like to feature different readings on the room view as well for some of my sensors. Like how my multi sensor for my garage door shows the temp in the Things view, instead of what I really care about, its function as a door sensor.
I knew I had seen that option at 1 point when I didn’t need it. Shame they took that away.
@KevinH is correct, before the release of the v2 hub you could choose which tile value you wanted to display in the Things list and unfortunately that went away.
Now this said, through code you can accomplish what you are asking. You will need to create your own device handler to accomplish this and its a matter of setting which tile you want to use as “main”. The downside by creating your own device handler is that it will no longer run locally so if you have any locally running Smart Lighting rules that leverage this sensor, they will no longer run locally.
I used the following steps to change one of my Iris contact sensors to show the temperature in the things list:
- Login to the IDE and click My Device Handlers.
- Click Create New Device Handler in the upper right corner
- Click From Template at the top
- Scroll till you find SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor in the left list and click it.
- Scroll back up to the top and confirm the right says “SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor by SmartThings” and if so click the Create button.
- Change the name attribute in the metadata definition section to something like “Iris Contact Temp Sensor” so you can distinguish it from the stock device type.
- Scroll down until to the bottom of the metadata section just above the parse function. You will find the folllowing:
main ([“contact”, “temperature”])
- Change that to main ([“temperature”, “contact”]) which makes temperature the default one to show.
- Click Save and then Publish at the top. You will get a confirmation message that your device handler was published.
- Click My Devices at the top of the IDE.
- Find the device that you want to change and click its Display Name to edit it.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Edit.
- Change the Type attribute from SmartSense Open/Closed Sensor to whatever you named the device handler in step 6 above. Its worth noting that all custom device handlers that you create are at the very bottom of the list.
- Click Update
- Now pull up the SmartThings application and enjoy seeing the temperature instead of the contact status in the list.
Thanks I will give this a try later. I am still on a V1 hub, so local is not something I am worried about at this point.