iOS 2.4.0 - Release Notes

We’ve been hard at work making the SmartThings app better for you. Here’s what’s new:

• Brand new dashboard experience. The home screen of the app has been redesigned to help you more easily monitor and control your home.
  • Favorites. Select your favorite Things and Routines and they’ll appear on your dashboard. You can edit to rearrange the ordering.
  • Wallpaper. Customize your dashboard with a unique image that reflects your home’s style.
  • iPad support. You asked, we listened. Support for iPad is here!
  • Many more bug fixes and improvements.

Here is a glimpse of some of bugs we fixed in this release:

• Arrival sensors are now displayed correctly on dashboard when unavailable. (MOB-965)
  • Fix crash when logging in with a SmartThings account (MOB-2894)
  • Fix Presence devices do not have a default images (MOB-2450)
  • Keep dashboard favorites in the order we received them (MOB-2843)
  • Update phone-as-presence-sensor image in the dashboard if it is changed in the general case (MOB-2812)
  • Hero tile state text is too large with async icons (MOB-2879)
  • Long location names on the dashboard don’t clip (MOB-2875)
  • Armed (Away) text update to match SHM (MOB-2876)
  • Hub offline banner shows on dashboard (MOB-2643)
  • Long routine tile names do not truncate (MOB-2866)
  • Font differences between standard and value tiles on things screen (MOB-2871)
  • Incorrect display of onlineSinceDate for Hubs (MOB-2669)
  • Better support for multi attribute tile conversion (MOB-2862)
  • Routine tile view layout when multitasking on iPad (MOB-2849)
  • Avoid crash on iOS 9 during state restoration
  • Fix Hero tile primary control layout when missing an icon (MOB-2863)
  • Update phone-as-presence-sensor image in the dashboard if changes between one bundled image and another (MOB-2812)
  • Update the dashboard when navigating to it (MOB-2780)
  • Use correct time in UK when on 12-hour time (MOB-2824)
  • Restore last selected sub-tab in Home and Automations main tabs (MOB-2142)
  • Dashboard is now much easier to scroll when rearranging items (MOB-2764) (MOB-1103)
  • Only allow rotation on iPads, for most views (MOB-2748)
  • Actuating then scrolling away a routine in the dashboard no longer leaves it showing a check (MOB-2717)
  • Avoid crash on initial login on iOS 9 (MOB-2793)
  • Improve performance of the location background selection view (MOB-1987)
  • Fix crash when opening some notifications (MOB-2723)
  • Enable iPad support for all build types (MOB-1979)
  • Enable in-app rotation for iPads (MOB-1979)
  • Enable launching in any orientation on iPad (MOB-1959, MOB-1979)
  • New dashboard turned on by default (MOB-2568)
10 Likes

wow! Big release! can’t wait for it to hit the app store.

1 Like

2 Likes

Wow, new dashboard. I really thought they had hung us out to dry on that one.

Hope nothing else was broken in order to bring this update to us. But thanks for doing this on a Monday instead of a Friday in case the update does break anything!

5 Likes

The iPad support is great. Thank you.

1 Like

Just updated. So far so good! Will test out the iPad app when i get home.

The new dashboard looks awesome! I wish the same UX style was used for all other pages. Now the app looks like it was written by three separate teams using three different and incompatible UX styles. :frowning:

5 Likes

Question about the iPad support. You can only log in to one device per account right? Otherwise the presence function gets screwed up? So do i need to make an account to sign in with my iPad? Or maybe I am completely mistaken. (which is true more than i would care to admit)

I use the same account on an iPhone and an iPad and have done so for several years. I don’t have any issues. Just make sure you add the presence from the phone.

1 Like

Ok! Thanks! Just wanted to make sure, I didn’t want to screw up the presence part!

1 Like

Hey Robin,

My images on Android as shown in Things are reflected in my Favorites. Android vs IOS functional issue?

Thank you for this awesome release!! This is definitely a bigger news and release than HomePod! Just kiddin’

My “standard SmartThings” icons show up for me on iOS in the new Dashboard. Maybe it is due to @anon36505037 using custom icons that they don’t show up properly?

Thanks for the IPad support.

1 Like

Overall I do like it. :slight_smile: LIke the Favorites in the dashboard for sure and I can see future release letting us have custom background images? I still see the font size rending in labels of tiles not being comparable to the Android version of the same device but if that is the biggest issue that is a good thing.
iOS rendering of the same device type compared to an Android have the Android icons slightly offcentered and smaller.

Hmmm … can’t seem to save my favs.

FYI: Kevin made a bunch of requests on the Android side and they seemed to be well received from kleneau, so I’m sure they will incorporate some of those enhancements. Look at the Android thread.

I guess I meant the image of the icon rendered the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

Robin was trying to show you the distinction between images and icons. For each “Thing” you can have an image OR an icon. Icons are usually png files that are black and white with transparencies. Images are actual pictures. They are separate and are displayed differently in the ST app (with different restrictions on where they appear.

2 Likes

I realized that as the conversation continued. I was just speaking as the “picture”, the visual “representation”, versus images and icons. But thanks for the additional clarification.

1 Like