In-Wall Zigbee Repeater Outlets in 2020?

I don’t know about Canada, but in the US, that model would only meet code for a light switch, not for an in wall outlet, which is what this thread is about.

In wall outlets in the US in most jurisdictions have to support up to 15 A and have to work with motor devices like a blender or a vacuum. The RGB 4003 is only Spec’d for lights, and at the low-end for that (up to 100 W equivalent of LEDs, for example).

MAXIMUM LOADS – This is an end point device and not intended to operate an entire circuit. 200W maximum resistive load (incandescent) or 100W maximum capacitive load (LED). Not designed for use with inductive loads such as motors or transformers.

So it may work as a Zigbee repeater, but not for an in wall outlet.

1 Like

I had several of their ZBMLC15 devices tucked behind outlets throughout my house. They’d work for about a day and then one by one drop off. I worked with their engineering group on trying to figure it out, but we never got anywhere. These do not play well with ST.

1 Like

I sent an inquiry to the manufacturer, Sinopé Technologies Inc., over the weekend about the SP2610ZB. A representative wrote back this morning:

1. Will it work with Samsung SmartThings?
    Yes, we are working on this compatibility, hopefully, we will have those devices compatible this Summer 2020

2. Does it have a Zigbee repeater built-in?
    Yes, they can act like a Zigbee signal repeater.

3. Are there any problems or concerns with using it in the United States?
    All our devices are built respecting the UL certifications (UL 60730-1) and they are built for North America standards. There is no concern regarding using our product in the United States.

1 Like

Are there any good suggestions for ones already for sale?

1 Like

There aren’t any in-wall zigbee outlets out there. This is a market segment that has been seriously lacking.

2 Likes

Yet… I keep contacting Jasco on when they’ll be releasing their new outlet. They’ve pretty much depleted inventory, and their online shop has hardly anything left. I’m hoping that’s a good sign that their new Zigbee 3.0 devices will soon be here.

3 Likes

Perfect for controlling incandescent, halogen, and LED bulbs.
.Not designed for use with inductive loads such as motors or transformers.

https://rgbgenie.com/?product=zigbee-3-0-plus-micro-controller-and-lamp-module-single-channel-trailing-edge-dimmer

That one will not meet safety codes in most US jurisdictions for putting behind an outlet. It will be fine for a light switch. That’s true of most micros and almost all dimmer devices.

It’s not an issue in Europe, where amperage requirements are lower. But in the US, in wall outlets are generally required to support a minimum of 15 A and to be fine with a motor device like a blender or a vacuum.

3 Likes

Yes it’s just for lights, to go behind a light switch. I wouldn’t repurpose it behind an outlet, in any country.

1 Like

The topic here is in-wall Zigbee repeater outlets.

Ah, I do beg your pardon, please ignore me and I’ll just fall on my sword right now.

4 Likes

Easy mistake. Most of the time people are just asking about good Zigbee repeaters, but in this case there was a specific device class specified as well.

2 Likes

You asked, they answered. The GE branded Jasco devices were just released for sale. :sunglasses:

Enbrighten new Zigbee 3.0 devices (May 2020)

5 Likes

FINALLY!!! Ordering mine today.

:+1:

1 Like

Let me/us know how it goes, particularly if you have the SmartThings Hub v2 (2015). I am on v2 and it is not clear to me if Zigbee 3.0 is fully supported & compatible at this point.

Mine comes in a week, but I suspect it will since I already have Zigbee 3.0 devices running on my v2 hub.

1 Like

Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible, so it should work in either case. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I was hoping the in wall receptacle would include power metering :frowning:

Yeah I would like to know this as well. The specs suggest the answer is no, which means that only the Sinpoe version would have the power metering feature.

I just received and installed the Jasco Zigbee Switch. All seems to be working properly. However, when I scanned the code for the install, it came back and installed it as a Thing.

I looked for which DTH I should select and couldn’t find a Zigbee Outlet. I’ve selected a Zigbee Switch and the Smartthings Zigbee Outlet, both seem to control the device properly.

But, does anybody know which is the proper/appropriate DTH for this switch?

Artie

1 Like