Enbrighten new Zigbee 3.0 devices (May 2020)

https://byjasco.com/enbrighten-zigbee-in-wall-tamper-resistant-smart-outlet-white

3 Likes

It looks like all of the new zigbee 3.0 devices are. New outdoor outlet, easy install switches, wall warts, etc.
https://byjasco.com/products/smart-home-automation/zigbee

2 Likes

Pair directly with 1st and 2nd generation Echo Plus, Echo Show 10, or Echo Studio immediately out of the package for easy voice command of connected devices. No additional equipment is required for use with these Echo models. Other Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant products can also be used for voice control when connected through a compatible Zigbee hub.

1 Like

The dual controlled wall wart may need a DTH, like the Aqara double rocker did. I may get one of these to play around with. I’m definitely getting an in-wall outlet.

@tpmanley, and plans on updating your stock DTH’s for these if they need to be?

3 Likes

I flagged the new devices for our cert team. Looks like they are a bit cheaper than their older GE stuff which is great.

The “No longer uses well-known Zigbee network key” comment in the “Pairs Directly with Amazon Echo Products” is interesting. Do the Echos with Zigbee support joining with an installation code? I have an Echo Plus and don’t see a way to trigger that type of join.

2 Likes

No idea yet since I join all of my stuff to ST and then integrate with Alexa. Thanks for the reply!

I don’t think the Echo devices expose any Trust Center options. But this does sound like Jasco is pushing past ZHA to full Zigbee 3.0. Hmmm…

Looks like Amazon recertified the Echo devices last fall to bring them up to the 3.0 standard

https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/echo-plus-2nd-gen-3/

1 Like

Also, if you have Amazon Prime, you can avoid the shipping costs…they’re on Amazon too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is only for joining to Zigbee 3.0 network. The Alexa creates a ZHA 1.2 network. So, the device will should “fall back” to ZHA 1.2 and join the Alexa network. At least it will if it’s truly Z3.0 compatible.

I haven’t read the specs completely yet, but these new ones don’t seem to report power (watts). No big deal because that turns out to be a feature I’ve really never taken advantage of yet with the switches I have now, but I do with my wall warts.

The original models did. But Amazon recertified the models to 3.0 in October 2019. And TI has a demo with a standard Amazon device running a 3.0 network and working with zigbee green power devices (which a ZHA coordinator cannot). Progress. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

That would mean that ZHA and ZLL devices would not be able to join the Alexa network, which I know for fact isn’t the case. So, there has to be something else going on there. Either the ZGP device you tried to join has multiple profiles (like the Hue Tap device) or something else is going on with the Alexa network. But I’m willing to be it’s not a strictly 3.0 network. There’s too many ZLL and ZHA devices that it still supports.

ZHA and ZLL devices can still join a Zigbee 3.0 network, that’s part of the specification.

The difference is that some zigbee green power devices can also join a zigbee 3.0 network, where they cannot join a ZHA network.

It is only a distributed network (hubless) which the ZHA device cannot join, and that’s not what we’re talking about with the Echo devices.

zigbee 3.0 brings more of a “plug and play” feel to the technology
Designed specifically for the Internet of Things, zigbee 3.0 brings more of a “plug and play” feel to the technology, allowing products to be easily installed by users with little experience of zigbee. Backward compatible with both ZHA and ZLL, it provides manufacturers of Smart Home and IoT products with greater interoperability and therefore the opportunity for greater product innovation.

Note also that just because the new Enbrighten devices aren’t going to use the widely known key, opting instead for Zigbee 3.0 security, that doesn’t mean the Echo plus, acting as coordinator, has stopped accepting it from legacy ZHA devices.

What I don’t know is whether Amazon is only allowing the ZHA devices to join as transients (disabling unsecure rejoin). The only ones I’m using on my own network are zigbee 3.0 end devices. But I don’t think there’s any way to change the trust center settings for an echo plus. At least I haven’t heard of one.

1 Like

Okay…that isn’t at all the take-away that I got from the Hubitat forum when the issue of Zigbee 3.0 came up. But I also highly doubt that Alexa has implemented the entire Zigbee 3.0 stack since that also includes Zigbee Healthcare and Zigbee Telecommunications. protocols. So, I’m getting the feeling that this “standard” isn’t so standard.

1 Like

Will this product (43102) work with the SmartThings Hub v2 (2015)?

It is not clear to me if SmartThings Hub v2 now supports Zigbee 3.0 or not. It was promised, but…I am not sure how I would see if it’s compatible.

Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible, it should work in either case. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also, what’s the relationship between this device and GFCI protection? It seems that if you need GFCI protection, you have to attach this 43102 outlet downstream of another GFCI outlet, or a GFCI breaker.

that is correct

There are no zwave outlets that are also GFCI outlets, because by definition they have incompatible requirements. The zwave outlet Has to always have power so that the radio can hear the next command from the network. But a GFCI outlet has to cut the power completely. This has always been true.

For this reason, those outlets will not meet US safety code in most places for bathrooms or near kitchen sinks. In some jurisdictions you will be able to add a GFCI control on the circuit branch upstream of the outlet, but that is not true in all jurisdictions, it just depends how the code has been applied in that area.

Just added the new outlet.

It was not discovered as a switch, but as a Thing. I used the Classic app, sorry guys. It took a long time to join, but it eventually did. Be patient. There’s a blue LED in the button that comes ON when the switch is ON, wich is different that their other devices I have, but that seems to be the trend. I don’t know if that’s configurable or not.

I changed the DTH to ST’s Zigbee Switch , and it works perfectly, and crazy fast!

So far so good. Easy to install and wire up.

FYI @tpmanley

7 Likes