Enbrighten new Zigbee 3.0 devices (May 2020)

Will this product (43102) work with the SmartThings Hub v2 (2015)?

It is not clear to me if SmartThings Hub v2 now supports Zigbee 3.0 or not. It was promised, but…I am not sure how I would see if it’s compatible.

Zigbee 3.0 is backwards compatible, it should work in either case. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also, what’s the relationship between this device and GFCI protection? It seems that if you need GFCI protection, you have to attach this 43102 outlet downstream of another GFCI outlet, or a GFCI breaker.

that is correct

There are no zwave outlets that are also GFCI outlets, because by definition they have incompatible requirements. The zwave outlet Has to always have power so that the radio can hear the next command from the network. But a GFCI outlet has to cut the power completely. This has always been true.

For this reason, those outlets will not meet US safety code in most places for bathrooms or near kitchen sinks. In some jurisdictions you will be able to add a GFCI control on the circuit branch upstream of the outlet, but that is not true in all jurisdictions, it just depends how the code has been applied in that area.

Just added the new outlet.

It was not discovered as a switch, but as a Thing. I used the Classic app, sorry guys. It took a long time to join, but it eventually did. Be patient. There’s a blue LED in the button that comes ON when the switch is ON, wich is different that their other devices I have, but that seems to be the trend. I don’t know if that’s configurable or not.

I changed the DTH to ST’s Zigbee Switch , and it works perfectly, and crazy fast!

So far so good. Easy to install and wire up.

FYI @tpmanley

7 Likes

Hope they release a power monitoring version soon!

1 Like

You can configure the LED. From the manual:

5 Likes

Cool, thanks for sharing that. I installed it without really looking at the manual (typical I know).

2 Likes

In terms of functionality, An outlet and a light switch Are the same. A binary relay. However, just be aware that not being able to distinguish between them may confuse Google home and Amazon Alexa, particularly if you were trying to turn off a group of switches without turning off the outlets.

Yup, which is why I tagged Tom in my post above. You’d think mainstream device manufactures like Jasco/GE have a relationship with ST to ensure compatibility when they finally release their stuff for sale… Oh wait, I was dreaming…

2 Likes

Jasco’s website and tech support claims they test on ST. My first attempt at switches are the new ZB3.0 (ZB4002) switches, and when I talked to support, the tech didn’t even know these were released. Very frustrating.

Guess I have to learn the Classic app…

Why? You’ll have the same results there too. The issue isn’t with the mobile app, but the DTH used to identify the device.

I’m sure they did, and I would expect that. The issue is still with ST to update their device handlers for the new fingerprint these devices have.

I replaced 2 Zwave outlets that died with 2 of the new Zigbee 3.0 outlets and used the new app. The inclusion experience was way superior to zwave in both speed and reliability. Now I am waiting on the energy metering outlets to replace a couple super annoying/unreliable Enerwave outlets, and slowly all the rest (about 15 more). Following @john’s lead ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Why? You’ll have the same results there too. The issue isn’t with the mobile app, but the DTH used to identify the device.

Probably a gap in my knowledge. I thought when you were using Classic you could monkey with DTHs. Newb mistake. Thanks.

What’s the usual lag on that? Is Samsung support a better place to go for that info?

1 Like

No worries at all! The IDE (developer space) is where can do that, plus a whole lot more, including your hub and device event logs, as well as live logging. I definitely recommend getting yourself set up there and checking out what’s available.

To be honest, I’m not really sure. So many new devices come to market that it can be hard to keep up. I did tag a few of the ST folks about their DTH’s needing to be updated, and they did confirm they’ll begin the process, but I have no idea when they’ll make updates to their DTH’s.

Sometimes ST support can channel requests like this, as well as using this community. I’ve used the community as well as Github in the past.

I have ordered two of these to replace 2 Tuya receptacles. My goal is to move away from the Smart Life app and have outlets that are visible to ST.

4 Likes

After I installed mine, it kept saying “Please Wait” on the switch button in the Classic app. I changed the DTH as you suggested…voilà

1 Like

I’m curious how these are holding up, the short time they’ve been out, and if switching the type in the IDE is still required? I’m thinking of getting an outlet and toggle switch. Amazon reviews rarely provide much help with smart devices.

Mine are holding our great so far. I really don’t care about power/energy metering, so I’d buy more if I needed them.

1 Like