Hub Firmware Release Notes - 20.17

Respectfully, you have absolutely no scientific evidence the firmware update (the firmware itself, not the process of updating) is the reason for your issues. You simply do not have access to that level of diagnostic data. Your observations, while presented as factual, is truly just an observation based on anecdotal evidence.

20.x was in a community beta for about a month. Many here participated, myself included. These issues just didn’t come up. I’ve been running 20.x since right after New Years Day. I think the timeline is very reasonable and hardly think a 1 month test period is pushing.

9 Likes

there is a reported platform outage right now

2 Likes

Yup, and it also stated that it restored now and the issues seems to be gone. So it does look like something in the firmware affected the servers or vice versa…

Can the ST staff please share the RCA and lessons learned? It would be great to understand what went wrong and how we can avoid such things in the future.

TIA!

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The outage was 100% completely unrelated to the v2 Hub firmware update.

There was a data migration which placed an unexpectedly high strain on infrastructure. The migration was halted and performance was restored.

7 Likes

FYI we do internal post-mortems on all outages, and in certain situations we’ve posted to the community.

For example: Hub Firmware Release 17.11 Post-mortem

7 Likes

Great, thanks for the information Brad_ST and nastevens!

Much appreciated!

Hope you get the data transfer done albeit in a slower pace now then.

@nastevens, @Brad_ST, I’m glad both of you are here and can provide information. The reason I laugh is that we’ve had so many issues this year already and there’s hardly a peep from ST staff.

You guys were spot on. Not! :joy:

1 Like

Just you being here communicating/sharing what you have/can is appreciated and important. Please keep taking the time to do so - to have a presence w/your customers. Thanks.

2 Likes

My guess is that it’s neither app or firmware, it’s a database/backend/server thing

For me all the problems are gone now this morning. No strange errors popping up and all things, dashboards and other stuff load right away without having to reload/refreshing manually

It was stated above as to what the cause of the outage was.

Just calling it like I see it. Don’t take your frustration out on me.

Most people here have many decades of technical knowledge in this community. So with your 30 years and incomplete facts, or understanding of how the ST platform and backend is built and/or functions, maybe in the future you should hold off on guessing or concluding until the facts come to light.

I participate in betas and help the ST staff where I can, and try to stay out of the way without jumping to conclusions and posting all sorts of banter and complaints towards them, which does nothing to help resolve the actual issue that is going on.

So call me what you want, but my post was in jest for all the new posters that come out here and have all the answers, only to learn the hard way, and then vent their frusration toward others.

4 Likes

Sure, I was referring to the issues me and several others had yesterday (reported further up in this thread), a guess would be that whatever migration and stuff they did solved the problems I saw. The outtage I never even noticed.

Now I hope that my z-wave plus door/window sensors soon can use the old DTH again (which broke when moved to Local execution) since that was a feature which i have been looking forward to

1 Like

I help out here in the community more than you know.

Another incorrect conclusion you have come to.

2 Likes

Now everithing works fine. Thanks to all …

Being the mature one here we can agree that we will never agree. Enjoy life

This is completely at odds with itself, especially when you throw this into the mix:

Which is even more astonishing when you consider that you stated that in direct response to someone who actually works for SmartThings and DOES know a whole lot about what’s going on. Now there’s not much harm in speculating yourself what is wrong but you directly disagreed with a someone at SmartThings and made very sweeping statements presented as facts.

@WB70 does a HUGE amount for the community and you’ve basically told staff at SmartThings that they don’t know what they’re talking about so… yeah. We’ve got a LOT of IT related people in here all with their own opinions on what’s right without actually having the intimate knowledge that SmartThings staff do. All that is asked is not jump to conclusions like you and others have done and instead help by providing useful information to SmartThings that might help them narrow down the issue faster.

Honestly, @WB70 is an asset to the community and a great person, I am sure you are too, we all just need to take a step back a little, outages are no fun for anyone, us, our families or the people that work at SmartThings who do their best and are a great bunch of people, in fact one of the reason why I personally stick around with SmartThings even through the outages.

In fact, @WB70 helped you out here:

3 Likes

@WB70 does have useful, constructive and enlightening posts about 20% of the time. The rest he’s adding nothing to threads, he provokes arguments, stokes people’s frustrations, and worse, when I’m trying to glean information from a thread I have to read his immature attempts at humour, infantile comments that are completely unrelated to the subject at hand, which becomes very annoying. It’s like he has a captured audience whereby be doesn’t elsewhere in his life and is using this forum as an extension, or in place of, his social circle.

Anyone from Smartthings able to help me with more details on this? Is a fix on the radar?