Hub Firmware Beta 0.35.x

Hey everyone!

We’re excited to announce the start of a new SmartThings Hub Firmware Beta. Version 0.35.x will begin rolling out in batches starting in the week of February 1st; we will send out an email when we start updating Hubs. We will be paying close attention to any issues encountered by users so your hub may not get updated right away. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.35.x

Hub Target:

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)

Release Date:

• February 3rd - February 5th, 2021

Release Notes:

New Features

• Local Execution of Rules: Compatible Rules that are created or updated after the feature is enabled will execute locally on the Hub.
  • Zigbee Enhancements: Firmware update support for ABL Ultra-Thin Wafer

Bug Fixes

• Speed up average boot time
  • Z-Wave networks not updating correctly after performing a network repair or adding/removing a device
  • Minor bug fixes and improvements

NOTE

Anyone who participated in the previous beta (0.34.x) is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta but haven’t taken the survey yet: Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt-out, update your preferences via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode

20 Likes

This looks like it will be a very interesting firmware update!

Will there be any indication on if a rule executes locally or not?

Will there be a list of “compatible” rules?

4 Likes

So it begins…

Well this is certainly exciting.

2 Likes

Wow have been waiting for this for ever!!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

woohoo! I have some questions/clarifications (as always :stuck_out_tongue:):

1. What constitutes a “Rule”? I’m assuming an automation created with the Rules API?
  2. The Automation creator, scenes and quick actions in the new app all use the Rules API now, right? So are all of these eligible to run locally?
  3. What are the “rules” that must be met for a Rule/Automation to run locally? I assume the device must run locally, as shown in the IDE? But some devices that run local not every capability runs locally. Is there a list of capabilities that are eligible? do times run local? what about modes? etc
  4. How do we determine if a Rule/Automation is running locally? We can’t see them in the IDE and AFAIK we can’t query our Automations created in the app via a GET to the Rules API.
4 Likes

I have one too. I could wait but it is something I have to start thinking about sooner than later. It relates to:

Those of us with more than one hub might note ‘the Hub’ is singular. So I am wondering how multiple hubs will be handled. I guess the obvious answer is that the rules will execute on whatever hub that all the devices they use are on, and so rules using devices from more than one hub will remain cloud executed. However just because I can’t see an alternative doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

1 Like

“updated after”…Does this mean we will have to recreate rules that are currently in use in order to run local? Or does this mean a simple on/off to each rule will do the trick?

3 Likes

Only 7 people interested? A year ago this thread would be on fire!!

After reading your questions he collapsed on the keyboard … :grinning:

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly I wonder where everyone has gone :eyes:

Probably they’re playing with another hub …

5 Likes

Oh it will be if things go wrong… Right now I’m taking cover and waiting.

3 Likes

If?

:rofl:

5 Likes

Maybe @vlad or @ady624 can help clarify what is eligible for local rules and how we can validate this is working or not. Hard to test a beta without knowing the details.

4 Likes

It’s the Smartthings way…leaving us in the dark…

2 Likes

i’m just thankful there is an actual public beta for hub firmware. The mobile app sure could use one…

4 Likes

If you go into the “Overview” tab in the beta in centercode, there is more information about local rules. This thread is public and there was some worry about posting that info where non-beta-participants could see it.

:man_facepalming:

3 Likes

This information is not yet accessible until the beta is active, which will be this afternoon.

2 Likes

Thanks @psbarrett and @BarryA I look forward to it :slight_smile:

1 Like