Hub Firmware Beta 47.3

Hub Firmware 0.47.3 Beta

Hey everyone!

We’re excited to announce the start of a new SmartThings Hub Firmware Beta. Version 0.47.3 will begin rolling out in batches starting on Mar 2, 2023. This will be a phased rollout so that we can keep a close eye on any issues that arise so your hub may not be updated immediately. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.47.3 (update 47.6)

Hub Target

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)

Release Date

• March 2nd, 2023 - March 3rd, 2023 for 47.3
  • March 13th, 2023 for 47.5
  • March 17th or March 20th for 47.6
  • March 27 for 47.7
  • March 30th - March 31st for 47.8
  • April 5th - April 6th for 47.10
  • April 13th or April 17th for 47.11

Help Us Help You

As part of our Beta program, it is important for our support team to investigate logs from Hubs running that are reporting errors. To provide our team access, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to SmartThings Web (my.smartthings.com)
  2. Log in to your Samsung Account
  3. Select the Menu (⋮) and choose Settings
  4. Toggle on Account Data Access
  5. Select the time period and choose Confirm

Release Notes

• Matter OTA Support
    • Starting with 0.47.3 Hub firmware, the Hub can automatically perform a firmware update of any certified Matter device upon the addition of newer Firmware to CSA’s DCL. CSA vets each firmware update, and the Hub will only perform an update if the released firmware has been certified by CSA. Unlike Zigbee, the images are downloaded from the Manufacturer’s host server. As a result, SmartThings does not test and validate all the Firmware updates.

To enable this functionality for Matter devices connected to your hub, navigate to Hub settings in the SmartThings App and Allow the Device Firmware Updates

• Edge Drivers
    • Expand Matter Interaction Status Enum to cover all cases. Newly included statuses are: PATHS_EXHAUSTED, WRITE_IGNORED, FAILSAFE_REQUIRED, TIMED_REQUEST_MISMATCH, and NO_UPSTREAM_SUBSCRIPTION
    • Fix default switch handling bug where switch level commands are ordered incorrectly.
    • Fix Zigbee bitmap type display in driver logs.
    • Various memory improvements and bug fixes

• Fix Ikea dimmer button bug
  • Fix Z-Wave lock code name fallback
  • Various bug fixes related to matter OTA

• Additional bug fixes related to matter OTA

• Fix high CPU utilization in certain edge cases with bad network connectivity
  • Additional minor bug fixes

• Minor bug fixes
  • Fix issue where matter devices could occasionally become unresponsive

• Minor bug fixes
  • Fix Zigbee OTAs not applying for certain device models

• Fix rare issue causing a small number of hubs to disconnect at an elevated rate
  • Fix issue causing Matter OTA to be unavailable

NOTE

Anyone who participated in the previous beta is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta, but haven’t taken the survey yet: Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt-out, update your preferences via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode

3 Likes

:tada: Great news

For others wondering, here’s CSA’s web app for browsing the DCL for current firmware versions.
https://webui.dcl.csa-iot.org/

If you want to see the current firmware version of a Matter device connected to SmartThings, you can use the CLI or the API Browser+ web app

1 Like

Just making a post here as well as clarification. The original post had the release being Friday-Saturday (3rd-4th), which was a mistake, it will be Thursday-Friday (2nd-3rd). The post has been edited to reflect the correct dates, sorry for the confusion.

So matter gets OTA updates but not Zwave…

3 Likes

Apologies if this was not more publicly known.

We have Z-Wave OTA support in the Hub, and it is available to Customer Beta users for the limited devices that we support, but there were two problems that we had:

1. Dynamic download of the OTA images for the Z-Wave devices: This particular item is a combination of many little things, but the gist of it is this. The current behavior, for Zigbee as well, the new images/firmware for the devices are only provided when releasing a new Hub Firmware. Unlike Matter, there is no ecosystem level infrustrcuture (Zigbee or Z-Wave) to obtain new images, and we would need to work with the manufacturer on this. However, we solved the original part of this problem by adding the capability for the Hub to download new images for Matter devices from the internet, you could argue that we could host a server for Zigbee and Z-Wave images, and that is something we could talk, but the bigger problem is the next item.
  2. Quality issues observed with OTA support for Z-Wave devices: Based on our limited testing with the devices that supported OTA, we discovered critical quality issues that made the Z-Wave OTA a bigger headache for us to put in our roadmap. We observed anything from devices getting bricked because the manufacturer had not planned for a jump from an older version to the latest version, and other issues where the network information was lost, and the user needed to repair their devices. There was also plenty of success, but the numbers were not convincing for us to invest more resources/effort.

Ultimately, we are slightly concerned with issue number 2 coming up for Matter devices as well, but we have restricted OTA to only CSA Certified software releases as an additional round of validation, but clearly, it’s not 100% guaranteed that Certified releases will be without issues. That is something we are monitoring.

8 Likes

I understand the need to prevent the masses from bricking their devices. But, it would be nice if power users had the option to perform Zigbee/ZWave OTA updates after agreeing to whatever disclosures you have to make it known what happens is not SmartThings fault. Like Developer Options in Android.

4 Likes

Thank you for the reply, I have a bunch of zooz products that need updated but I’m not wanting to go through the process of unpairing the device, updating and then adding them back to the hub. Hopefully this will be available.

2 Likes

Hello, I want to share with the community that there is a known issue with 47 and Hue and Sonos devices backed by Edge Drivers. We have found the root cause and I will post an update when we believe we have resolved the issue with a later version of 47.

EDIT: We do not believe if your Hue and Sonos devices are still connected to a Groovy DTH and 47 that your devices would be affected.

3 Likes

@alissa.dornbos sorry I have now the same problem :slight_smile: every new beta firmware camming without your help i can not update my hub. I don’t know what the problem is, but only today I noticed this new firmware 47.3 that has never been updated even this time.

:wave: Hey Diegocampy.

I wanted to let you know that I have seen this message and have communicated to the release manager about this. Stay tuned, and thank you very much!

1 Like

The issues ST found during testing are really important…

There are several Zooz devices that can’t be updated past a certain firmware version because of hardware changes so having a built-in z-wave firmware update feature is a really bad idea unless it allows/forces the user to upload their own firmware file…

There are also devices from multiple manufacturers that factory reset after updating so you’d have to re-join those anyways.

If ST brought back the replace device feature for z-wave devices we’d be able to perform a general exclusion and update the firmware externally then add the device back to ST afterwards without having to remove the device and lose everything, but I doubt that’s something they could easily implement.

5 Likes

after the update, my Ikea dimmer doesn’t work anymore. it’s connected but pressing the keys doesn’t work. I add that the Ikea dimmer was already associated with the Samsung drive ZigBee button.
Does anyone with beta firmware own this Ikea device?

Can you report this as a bug in centercode and provide details about when the issue occurred and device details so we can investigate logs. And if you haven’t yet, we’ll need you to follow the steps in the parent post to give us access to pull the logs from your hub to investigate.

1 Like

Sure, I’ll provide when I get home. I wrote it here earlier to see if others have this problem, or if maybe I’m the only one and the hub update has nothing to do with it.

Yup. Happy to have the discussion here as well, just wanted to make sure we got the details needed to investigate from our end.

1 Like

I did some tests, only one button doesn’t work :thinking:. now I write it in the report centercode

1 Like

Confirm, mine too, same thing as you, everything works except history and long Press on One of the two keys.

Is it the fault of the new firmware?
Everything worked fine before upgrading to the new firmware.

I use the driver “zigbee button”.

1 Like

Thank you @Diegocampy for your report on the community and also in Centercode we are taking a look now.

1 Like

It seems like Smart Lights two directional mirroring is broken now. The tangled lights now blink every second between old and new states.

is there a way to debug this ?