Hub Firmware Beta 0.25.24

Firmware 0.25.24 will be released shortly.

1 Like

The Wi-Fi onboarding fix was a change made to prevent the firmware from crashing during heavy loads.

@RLDreams The change should be unrelated to your LifX bulbs.

@vseven I would suggest you ask your question regarding Wifi Settings in the forum thread you linked. The ST Staff active in that thread would have a better answer than I would.

Unfortunately no one has a answer in that thread and the staff has stopped responding. And the “official” instructions don’t work nor does tech support know how to make it work, if you read that thread you’ll see that. Oh well.

1 Like

Brad has chimed in over there and is going to take a look at my logs tonight - FYI. I would start following so that you can stay updated if my situation improves.

I can tell you that phone support told me the reason that “Update Wifi settings” was grayed out in the new app is that it is only meant to update wifi settings for devices/appliances that connect to the network. Why on earth it doesn’t apply to the actual smartthings hub is beyond me. They told me my only options was a hard reset. I said no thanks as I have about a hundred devices and 20 smartapps and no interest in redoing it all… I’ll leave it plugged in with ethernet for now.

I’ve been with smartthings for 3 years now and love so much about it but they’re kind of getting one upped these days by decent and fresh products. Hubitat to name one. Please ST, don’t let us down!

I have lost count of the network repairs I have run… and the errors never go away. Volume goes up and down without any apparent pattern. Am I the only one?

Things seem to be working but those errors bug me :skull_and_crossbones:

What actions are you taking to resolve these errors? Running the repair over and over again and expecting a different result is not going to solve your problem. Your hub sends commands to these devices and they don’t respond. Knowing why, would solve your problem.

@aruffell

I recently had an issue with one in wall dimmer that was causing all devices to fail network repair.

I turned the breaker on and off for the room that the in-wall dimmer was in and then the repair worked without any errors.

Not sure how to find out which device was causing the problem.

@HA_fanatic @professordave - I am aware of a few devices that create havoc on the zwave mesh network at times. Typically it happens when there is a short blackout / brown out, or something along those lines. Devices in the general area start having issues, and cycling power at the breaker typically fixes it along with several network repairs. Each network repair seems to decrease the errors until it is supposedly error free.

I excluded a couple Zwave Controllers (Zwave Tool Box and HomeSeer’s Zwave Stick for ZFlash) that kept popping up as those do not need to be included at all times. I am also eliminating all classic Zwave devices and replacing them with Zwave Plus or Zigbee 3.0 devices regardless of current issues.

Other devices that I have suspicion about are Zooz Power Strip v1/v2 (I have both) and Aeon Smart Switch 6. In the past I have had a number of issues always in close proximity to these devices. They are all likely chatty devices but I believe I have toned the reports down as much as possible (I need to check but time is always scarce). However, the large number of failure started 25.22 so I am trying to get a sense of whether it is a system issue or a network/device issue. It sounds like I have a local issue as you do not seem to have any issues.

Not long ago, after a few excruciating days of unresponsive devices (when everyone was reporting issues with Fibaro devices) I had a total blackout for about 2hrs at night. The next day everything slowly started working as normal. Other than the network repair errors, things appear to have been working fine since then.

I have around 110 Zwave Devices, so hunting for the one causing trouble without something clearly not working right is hard. I am also not seeing a clear pattern in the failures so I am not sure what section of the house to focus on.

If I can figure out how to use Sigma Design’s PC Controller software to query the route of the devices that are having issues, maybe I can find what it causing trouble. I have not had a chance to explore that yet. The Zwave Toolbox shows me a route for devices but I need to find out whether that is the route of the device to the main controller or to the secondary controller in the ZWTB.

Other suggestions?

EDIT:

Making progress… maybe one of those devices I removed was actually causing trouble (one of the controllers was included with lots of ZEROs in the Raw Description as repeatedly reported in these threads)

EDIT2:

Problem seems to have gone away. Maybe it was indeed one of the two secondary controllers… or just a coincidence.

2 Likes

With the latest update I’ve had several of my device show up as offline. They non responsive in the app and will not update to current status. I’ve attempted a zwave repair, unsuccessfully.

The highlighted items below are the problems. The zigbees are just dead batteries.

Hi @bamarayne, I use to have this happen more often than I’d like. Typically rebooting the hub would do the trick. I never determined root cause, but I’ve not had that problem since I’ve moved the majority of my devices to zigbee.

2 Likes

Wow, and you’ve been a Z-Wave guy for so long…

@bamarayne rebooting and/or flipping the breaker works for me.

2 Likes

Yup, since the beginning of ST. If I knew then what I now have experienced with zigbee reliability and performance, and my woes with zwave over the last few years, I’ve would have switched a long time ago.

1 Like

I am right behind you lol I thought I cannot use Zigbee reliably due to overly congested 2.4 band in my neighborhood, but seems like I have managed to find the right channel, as my Zigbees have been going strong lately.

That’s what I did, and it’s been so reliable for so long that I’ve forgotten what my last major incident was about. The GE zigbee switches are super star performers, and I have them everywhere!

If I could just find a zigbee replacement for my home energy monitor, sirens, water meter, garage door opener, and a couple Qubino ZMNHAD3 devices, I’d be zwave free.

1 Like

Ha! That’s where I am too :slight_smile: Cannot seem to find a suitable HEM to replace the Aeon Labs one, nor a garage door. Been thinking to go with Sense, but that still leaves me with the “ancient” GoControl opener :slight_smile:

1 Like

@johnconstantelo @HA_fanatic

Are the zigbee GE smart switches/dimmers instant reporting? Or are they like the old GE zwave which do not report state?

Per Jimmy John’s, “so fast you’ll freak”. Yeah, they’re fast.

1 Like

My problem is, if I replace my old GE switches I wouldn’t be able to drink my coffee waiting for them to report. And then there is the maintenance, no repairs, no pulling air gaps and flipping breakers. I wouldn’t know what to do with all that free time…

2 Likes

Since 0.25.25 has now been released, please use this thread for future comments: Hub Firmware Beta 0.25.25