Hub Firmware 25.x Beta

Calling all beta testers!

We’re excited to announce the start of the beta program for the SmartThings Hub 0.25.x firmware release. We will begin rolling out the firmware update in batches starting on the 22nd of January and will send out an email when we start updating Hubs. We’ll be paying close attention to any issues encountered by users in the first batches of the rollout. So your hub may not be updated right away. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.25.x

Hub Targets

• Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub V2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub V3) (2018)

Release Date

• Rolling out to batches of hubs starting on January 22nd

Release Notes

• Implement a new underlying Z-Wave framework that positions the hub to support the latest features as well as future updates
  • Add support for additional DTHs to execute locally
    • Fibaro Dimmer2 ZW5
    • Fibaro Double Switch2 ZW5
    • Fibaro Motion Sensor ZW5
    • IKEA color bulb
  • Fix bug that prevents manual control of GE/Jasco Zigbee in-wall switches and dimmers
  • Fix discovery of some Zigbee ZLL devices like the RGBgenie RGB controller
  • Changes to the way Zigbee messages are sent to the DTH (should have no impact but be on the lookout for issues)
  • Firmware update for the Zen Thermostat
  • Minor bug fixes and stability improvements

NOTE

*Anyone who participated in the 0.24.x beta is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta, but haven’t taken the survey yet, you can Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt out, you can also leave the program via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode.

9 Likes

If i was signed up for V2 beta, but now have a V3, do I need to re-signup, or will it roll over?

You’ll need to sign up again for each hub you want enrolled in the beta.

Man you’re a glutton for punishment :).

4 Likes

The signup acted like I had already applied, but I did go in under Test Platforms and remove my V2 and add my V3. Hopefully that works?

Any improvements to V3 network connectivity with this update? Mine seems to have quick disconnects when my network is fine.

You should have just received an email asking you to update the responses in your survey. Give that a try.

@cbaumler i sent you a PM. Don’t want to clutter up this thread with my edge case.

Signed up!

Can you outline the new features? Are they behind the scenes or something that DTH’s can take advantage of?

Does this fix the outstanding bug related to the buffer overflow causing the hub connection be reset?

Any chance the UDP/UPnP communications will be restored with firmware which has been broken since mid 2018

Any chance custom apps/DTH get access to local execution?

1 Like

I’ll definitely participate, and I’m really curious if any parts of this feature were introduced in the 24.11 through 24.20 release. That’s when my zwave devices went nuts for a long time, but have now settled down for the most part. I do get the occasional offline device for hours that require a power cycle (GE, Aeon, Evolve, Leviton, and Zooz devices all to date).

Count me in, and I promise to let ST know the good, bad and ugly.

The new framework is an under-the-hood change as of now. It was largely driven by our efforts to complete certification for Z-Wave S2 which is still ongoing.

3 Likes

We’ll be looking for testing around network but nothing related to the issues you have described before. For your case, when I looked at your logs previously, I think we concluded that this brief disconnects might have been from a cloud deploy and not related to network connectivity.

Nonetheless, beta will be a good time to make observations and collect information if we think there might be something going on.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, that’s not something added in this firmware release.

1 Like

I am very excited to see What you think of the new framework, I will warn you that there is a conversion stage (one time only) that might be a bit rocky, this is to convert your old Z-Wave framework to new Z-Wave framework, I am hoping with the new framework, you will have much better experience.

4 Likes

@Kianoosh_Karami , will this fix the issue you and I discussed last month on my V2? If so, count me in.

any more detailed information on what happens during this “Conversion Stage”, why will it be better? will we ever get access to Zwave map?

Oh you know I’ll provide feedback :wink:

Depending on what time this happens (preferably working hours EST), impact could be minimal.

Does this firmware (and maybe an app update?) enable zigbee 3.0 QR code pairing for the V2 hub?

Unfortunately not, V2 won’t be getting Zigbee 3 support in this release.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that issue can’t be fully resolved with firmware, but the cloud team has it on their radar.

1 Like