So i had two major issues with the options we are currently given to automatically lock/unlock our doors.
1: cost (a replacement door handle with zigbee/zwave averages about $199, and a simple door deadbolt starts at $100.
2: The fact that all this stuff is for some reason required to be ran off of batteries. I’ve made some progress in my house migrating to arduino (also for cost) for this very reason. Incidently: arduino clone + smartthings shield = about $40 and arduino sensors are C.H.E.A.P. I have a bag of door switches i paid $1.00 apiece for.
Anyway, on to the implementation…
In advance, i will mention that everything that’s required to get this up and running was less than fifty dollars.
- door striker, electric. Available on Ebay for as low as $21.99 at time of writing this.
- 12v power supply to run it with. 2amp models for led strip lights are under $5 on ebay.
- a lamp module. Also under $20.
The system is pretty easy to install. Remove your old door striker plate and replace with the new one. You will probably have to enlarge the hole. The unit has two terminals you can attach the power supply to. It’s not polarized so it doesn’t matter which wire goes to which. Plug the power supply into the lamp module and you are done! (almost)
What you have to do in the IDE…
- create a new virtual device: a simulated lock.
- install the smart-app here
Turn On/Off and/or Change Mode When Door Unlocks/Locks
- you’re good to go! when you toggle the virtual lock, the zwave module will turn the power on and off to the lock.
my implementation has the door unlock when someone comes home and lock again when the screen door closes.