Is there any connected door lock with constant power?

Because zwave is aimed at the budget conscious DIY market, The complexity of installing an always powered lock has just been a poor match to the market segment.

(I myself am quadriparetic, and use a wheelchair, so I’m very aware of the options for automatic doors. Many of these are mains powered and effectively act as locks. But they are much more expensive and the installation process is more complicated, as well as being much more visible than the battery powered options.)

One option that some community members have done is to use an electric strike instead of A battery powered lock. This can be mains powered. As far as aesthetics go, it depends on how much you’re willing to put inside the wall. But if you have a need for a mains powered option, I’d suggest looking at that. It’s not quite as secure as the battery operated deadbolt, but it might meet your needs. :sunglasses:

Here are two project reports from different community members. One had a primary goal of spending as little money as possible and used inexpensive parts. The other wanted to retrofit an existing lock to an electric strike. So the equipment used was a little different.

Anyway, both might give you some ideas. (These are clickable links.)

2 Likes