Has everyone seen the next generation SmartThings?

the new motions look like the iris ones. too bad they don’t cost the same.

I do think moisture sensors like the utilitech that has the sensor on a cord is better for positioning.

Will be fun to get hands on some of this stuff and compare, maybe even a tear down. Would love to know if they are original ST or OEM.

At least they are zigbee… Right?

Light sensor would be very cool. Just needed to make cut off somewhere.

I agree. Also this has been in the works long before acquisition and was not affected. Still produced at a relatively small scale.

Very neat! Regarding the motion, wondering if you could go into the details a bit more?

Faster reset time?
Will is cover the same general room size?
Sensitivity adjustment for pets possible?

1 Like

12 seconds vs 60 on the old version.

3 Likes

I agree. I would love to see a listing of x and y axis angles and information on sensitivity. This information is often lacking (from what I can see) on a lot of zwave and other protocol sensors, but it often shown for home security systems.

They are ZigBee. We have designed the hardware and enclosures for the new devices which are being produced by a third party.

No, I totally understand about the cut off. But you already have temperature sensors in window/door sensors. How many temperature sensor does one need in a room?! :smile:

1 Like

When will the devices be available via amazon.com @ben ?

In the coming weeks as Amazon sells out of older inventory. What you don’t want to buy direct? =P

I’m a spoiled Amazon Prime member … what can I say @ben ? :smile:

Here are a few comparison pictures as I don’t think we’ve officially released any yet.

edit: I forgot to take the mounting bracket off the new Motion sensor so that’s why it looks a bit raised.

1 Like

Thanks! Can you post some of the multi and the open/close from the depth dimension?

Just for you.

Is the moisture sensor waterproof?

My attempt to buy direct few weeks ago was not a good one. Tried using the 10% referral code and after an hour of dealing with the hassle! gave up and ordered via amazon. Lost about $60 without the referral (or cost me more, depending how you look at it), but at least the amazon order system is reliable. Buy direct? No way.

No, neither the new SmartSense Moisture or the older one from FortrezZ are waterproof. That said, like the FortrezZ sensor, the bottom is sealed so that it doesn’t fail prior to detecting water.

@Tyler

My own experience with FortrezZ is the unit is quite porous, however, seems to still work even when waterlogged. I would assume it would start failing once the battery contacts are compromised.

Can we use rechargeable CR-2 batteries?

Did you send anything in to support about this experience? Would be great to address it to see if we can recreate/solve for the issues you experienced.

1 Like