Has everyone seen the next generation SmartThings?

Hello Tyler.

So, I might not understand, but when you say that these devices are not waterproof, does that mean that they are pretty much single use or they have to really get flooded to not work any more?
Thanks, Chris

Theyā€™re not single use. They actually float and I donā€™t see air bubbles coming out of it when itā€™s floating around - but itā€™s not certified water proof. Iā€™m trying to get my hands on the testing data to see if we have any official wording but in the mean time I donā€™t think that thereā€™s any issues with it being ā€œsubmergedā€ in water.

From the looks of it has two metal sensors at the bottom of the device and a slot on the side to pull for battery / initial pairing.

That slot looks like water could get in.

As Tyler said, it looks like it would float, but if water got in the side slot, my guess is it would be fried.

I wouldnā€™t strap it down to the side of a pipe in my sump pump, like my other water sensor. Or atleast Iā€™d tape up the side before thatā€¦

I think it includes a standoff clip-on / remote leads? But can someone from Smartthings confirm this? That would be ideal for keeping the electronics dry but drop the leads into a water prone area.

The Moisture sensor pull tab is on the interior of the device. Thereā€™s no hole on the outside (as with the other devices) to prevent water from getting in.

The two metal contacts on the bottom are in there tight and water canā€™t get in from there.

I paired one of the new moisture sensors and completely submerged it in water for 1 minute. It immediately reported a ā€œwetā€ status upon submersion and immediately reported a ā€œdryā€ status when removed. Opening the enclosure showed some water had collected on the inside but the device was still completely operational.

As an aside, the FortrezZ sensor manual tells you to caulk the holes and I think even the sides for true waterproofing. I donā€™t see why that couldnā€™t be done here also but I donā€™t think that was tested.

Remote leads are not included.

Iā€™ve personally installed over 100 FortrezZ moisture sensors in real world scenarios and Iā€™m very impressed with this new moisture sensor in particular.

edit: If there are any other tests or stress tests anyone wants to see with the new devices let me know!

Bummer, the Centralite ā€œOEMā€ spec shows a remote lead capability, too bad this doesnā€™t come with it.

I assume if someone could get the remote leads from another provider, then it could work, or just solder on them?

Iā€™d assume so also. Let me follow up on that.

@Tyler

Iā€™ve had the FortrezZ version submerged about half a dozen times so far as a low salt warning in my water softener. Each time it quickly filled with water even with caulking. I think it comes through gaps at the contacts. Each time the FortrezZ model has survived to my surprise.

Iā€™m looking for something more convenient since it takes me about 1/2 hour to open up, dry out and re caulk.

The other three places I use the sensors havenā€™t luckily been tested in real life.

My need with the water softener is rather unique. Yet even though you would think the salt brine would quickly damage it, it still survives. Is your new unit easier to open?

Did you determine if rechargeable CR-2s work?

Yes, the device is easier to open. You just pull the top of the enclosure off.

I donā€™t have a rechargeable CR2 to test with but I looked at the specs on some of the batteries and they look like theyā€™ll work fine.

I have two of these and I like them a lot. If the contacts are mounted correctly, it also instantly shows when the water goes back down.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_422362-45367-TST01-1_0__?productId=4740940

And they are inexpensive at only $30.

So these work with ST? Are they zwave or zigbee?

Zwave. Work great. I have two of them. Recognized right away without issue.

Bummer, really want to stick to zigbee. Might have to try out the ST moisture sensors then.

I would say there are situations where the ST sensor would be better, like under a sink. Just easier to setup since you just set it in there. The one I posted would be great in sumps, etc. I guess it depends in the situation.

As for zwave vs zigbee. Doesnā€™t matter much to me. I have zwave dimmers and a combination of zigbee and zwave door sensors. I also have a mix of motion sensors. Iā€™m really trying to narrow down the devices I like the best. Personally I donā€™t see a reason to stick with one or the other protocol.

What was your reason for wanting to stick to one? Iā€™m curious.

@brianlees

I also have one if these for my sump pump. Luckily, the sump pump hasnā€™t failed so I have not had a real life test yet. The battery status doesnā€™t seem to update correctly, though. But I find battery status is iffy on most devices.

Lots of reasonsā€¦ Some logical, some irrationalā€¦

I have over 70 zigbee devices (mostly control4, card access (now owned by control4) and a few other manufacturers)
I have only about a half a dozen z-wave devices so far.

My reasons / observations:
Battery life seems to be far better on zigbee
Reliability seems better, but this is really subjective
Openness of Zigbee vs lockdown of Z-wave (double edge sword, see control4ā€™s usage of zigbee)
Cost, this clearly goes to Z-wave but hopefully zigbee device adoption will drive prices down

Ultimately, as I gain more knowledge about zigbee, I donā€™t want to learn z-waveā€¦

Plus, for ultimate portability, for example, if ST went away tomorrow, or I wanted to take my ST zigbee things to another platform, I know I can make the zigbee stuff work with my Control4 system. Z-wave, not so much without another hub involved.

Time will tell when Apple, Google and Microsoft throw their R&D dollars behind a standard, or another will emerge.

For now, Iā€™m sticking with Zigbee just out of using it the mostā€¦ Nothing really against Z-wave, as the great thing now with ST is you can use bothā€¦

@Tyler

Rechargeable batteries have different discharge curves. If the device is not designed to recognize rechargeables, then they may indicate a battery is dead when in fact there is plenty of charge left. The FortrezZ moisture sensors have this issue.

Well you just taught me something! Iā€™ll get a battery ordered and test for you.

Is the temperature sensor on the multis any more accurate than the old ones? Mine are always off 5+ degrees.

Much more accurate, plus weā€™ve added manual temp offsets.

I have a question on the SmartSense motion Detector, Can I mount this outside under my soffit which will be protected from rain and snow. Has this unit been tested in sub-zero temperatures?