Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Definitely not the remote. Either the power switch, assuming the controller is wired to that, or the circuit breaker should do it. Try carrying the time - 1 second × 5, 2 servings × 5, etc.

Thanks for the help. Tried again yesterday. Same thing. Varied the timing, used the wall switch and tried the circuit breaker.

Still no luck. The remote works, the fan works - but no blinking light and no pairing.

It’s definitely the right fan/module. It’s less than 30 ft from the hub. Antenna is out of the cowl. Just cannot get it to go into pairing mode.

Going to keep trying all this weekend and if it doesn’t work - maybe I’ve got a dud. Anyone here worked with the Home Decorators helpline yet? I guess I’ll call Monday if I don’t get anywhere.

My experience is that 30’ is problematic. I’ve had the hub that far and it works for a time, but always eventually drops the connection. Currently, I have the hub on an electrical and Cat5e extension to place it 10’ from the fan controllers. It’s not tenable long-term, but it has been solid for about a week (which far exceeds all previous records).

Not to get off-topic but I think this is a common misconception about Zigbee/zWave. It’s not really the distance to the controller as it is the distance to the nextdwvice in the network. Therefore, if you only have a couple devices it could be an issue but if you have switches and other things around the house then it won’t likely be an issue.

I haven’t yet invested in the fan mod but as far as pairing issues, be sure you’re doing the full reset and exclusion procedure. I’ve found that most problems are solved by that unless it is a dud. Resetting should get you to a known state with some feedback from the unit. Excluding ensures ST isn’t ignoring it.

-Warren

I’ve placed a solid repeater near (where the hub sits now) and the problem is that the hub makes lousy choices in network configuration. With the repeater the only ZigBee device between the hub and fans, it will (often) route all over the place and ignore the repeater. I’ve observed this via the XCTU/X-stick network map. Placing the hub there directly seems to obviate that problem.

If you know a way to specify the ZigBee network configuration, that would be a big help.

Good advice. Like you said, not as worried about the distance to the hub or the next zigbee repeater - there’s plenty on either side, in the same room. But my inability to get the fan/controller into any pairing mode - blinking lights, etc - is the problem. That shouldn’t be reliant on signal distance or anything else.

But since it’s zigbee - I can’t exclude it from ST like I could (and have done) when stuck on a Z-Wave device pairing.

As far as resetting it - I’ve tried so many times now, I can’t count. In fact, I’ve noticed that after I’ve done the 5x off/on sequence - I can get the fan to change direction back to its default setting - but still the lights won’t blink or go into a pairing mode. I truly think I just have a dud here.

My only other option now is to call the manufacturer and see what advice/replacement they provide. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

I do have a fairly robust Zigbee network, ensuring that there is atleast one Zigbee powered switch or dimmer every 10 ft (if a room has 2 switches that were automated, i used one Zigbee and one ZWave)

i have 3 fan receivers installed in 3 different rooms across 2 floors with no control issues with either remote or ST in a 3000+ sq ft home.

1 Like

I am seeing the same thing with the inability to reset. I’m wondering if somehow it won’t reset unless it has some configuration to wipe out. I never got mine to pair originally. Let me know if you find anything out. I’ve basically taken a break from it for now as its in a remote location and don’t have a ton of time to play with it.

Update: Called Home Decorators, who transferred me to Home Depot, who tried to transfer me to Wink (so I told them it was purely a hardware issue and Wink couldn’t help - especially since I’m not using Wink lol), which eventually landed me with the Warranty people.

Luckily, they seem really nice. They said they actually have people order this receiver directly from them often and it sounds like the zigbee antenna is damaged/DOA. I had to forward my homedepot receipt email to them and they said I should get a response from them in a few days, hopefully they’ll be sending a replacement receiver.

I’ll let you guys know how the process goes.

2 Likes

So I just received a replacement controller in the mail :slight_smile:

Going to install this one either tonight or tomorrow morning. I’ll let you guys know how it pairs after the install.

@scottalex - PM me if you need the direct number for the warranty person. She was very helpful, once I got past the Home Depot/Home Decorators/Wink people.

Thanks Blaine, I bought directly from KoF so I’ll have to talk with them directly. Let us know how your reinstall goes.

Install went smooth as silk. Went into pairing mode immediately, ST detected it and - voila - I’ve got a paired ceiling fan. Finally.

Pretty psyched about it too.

3 Likes

Ok, now I may need to buck up and get a few. Getting jealous of seeing all this and I would love for my fans to turn on and off when we’re not home to keep the house from getting “stale.”

I received mine yesterday, started hooking it up to my Hunter fan and came to a screeching halt. 4 wires going into the fan besides the light and neutral and nothing marked so I don’t know which one is for the fan. I tried each one with no luck. I have the light working. Until I can call Hunter in the morning, I’m bummin

Rick

You might be able to find a schematic online if you Google it. …if you don’t want to wait.

No luck so far, i’ve been looking

It’s a Hunter 21621

Rick

You happen to have a picture?

Here is how it was wired up

I don’t have an up light so the blk/wht is for the down light and that works fine

The wht and red from the new receiver tie into neutral and line respectively
The blue from the receiver goes to the fan blk/wht (light works fine with the remote)
Wht from the receiver goes to the fan wht
This leave the following wires from the fan, red, pink, gray and yellow and something needs to hook up to the receiver blk wire

I tried the blk from the receiver to each of them individually and the fan doesn’t work

My suspicion is more than 1 of the 4 remaining wires are needed to control the motor but not comfortable at this point with ganging them up to the receiver hot

Rick

1 Like

Ya, I came to the conclusion you had something like that. I had one similar. My thinking was “it already has a remote/receiver, this will be easy!”… I ended up just replacing the whole fan. Lol
Let me know what you figure out though. I have one more fan like that to do.

Well Hunter support was no help. All they could tell me was, I can only install their remotes and to connect the wires per the color coding

My guess is the 4 extra wires are for H/M/L fan speeds and 1 for reverse (since I don’t have a physical switch on the fan for reverse yet the remote does.)

It seems to make sense to me that all 4 wires should be tied to the receiver hot so this way, the remote/receiver can communicate to the fan for all speeds

I either try that or replace the fan or go back to stock

Rick

1 Like