Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Let this be a lesson fella’s. Don’t be like me… :slight_smile:

Yea, the unit is toast. I checked inside and there are no signs of burn, but it smells like someone learning how to make toast for the first time. The sad thing is, I took my time, and even made a nice smooth channel for it to come out. It just slide a few MM to the left and boom… sliced.

Hopefully it didn’t toast my fan motor. :cold_sweat:

That’s crazy, you would think the antenna would be isolated so it couldn’t be shorted to ground through the cowl.

Yeah seeing that I initially thought line must’ve shorted onto cowl and melted through to antenna, but I’m no electrician :). I will say my fan doesn’t mount like those ball and sockets but rather it hangs at an angle by some tabs when I undo some screws. In order to get the fan back level, I have to lift fan pressing back against the cowl to replace screws. Aside from some small holes in both the bracket and cowl that line up when properly aligned for screws, there’s nowhere to pass antenna through. So had to run in small space between the bracket and cowl. It’s tight but seems like it worked ok…

My Fan is very similar to this… So I have to actually cut part of the mounting bracket on the ceiling out too… It has 4 pins that you lock into, and rotate the shroud a few degrees and then put in 1 screw. This is going to be a PITA. I am going to try and leave the antenna INSIDE the shroud and see how much that interferes and if it works. My other fans all have ball mounts, so it will be A LOT easier with them.

Yeah, I have one of these as well.

Maybe the easiest way is try bending in the mounting bracket edge towards the center with some pliers to prevent the mounting bracket from pressing the wire against the cowl and cutting it. Once you have slightly bent the bracket inwards (where I show the X between two pin locations) you can tape the antenna wires in the dent so they don’t accidentally come out of the little pocket of protection. That should do it.

1 Like

That’s a good idea, I was just going to dremel it out (The X) and take a rubber gromit and make a slice into it, to slide the wire into it and hot glue it to the top of the mounting plate to keep it in place.

Your idea sounds a lot easier. :slight_smile:

Edit: Has anyone tried with the antenna inside the cowl of the fan? I am curious as to how much it degrades the single, and or response times of the device to the hub to the app.

Two questions:

1- Where can this be bought today? HD’s website sais it’s not available. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Wink-Enabled-White-Universal-Ceiling-Fan-Premier-Remote-Control-99432/206591100?keyword=206591100

2- Does the above link-should I be able to find it-include a controller, or just a remote? Pics should the controller, but it describes only a remote.

1 - it isn’t available yet. Unfortunately this thread got derailed because of the close similarity to the zigbee repair part of the Gardinier 52 in. LED Brushed Nickel Ceiling Fan.

2- when it does become available it will be both the remote and the zigbee receiver. You can see it in the pictures to the left of the HomeDepot link you gave

2 Likes

And do we really think it’s running a year or more behind schedule (considering when it showed up on the Home Depot website) because of that little rubber grommet they need to add to the retail kit?

2 Likes

I’ve honestly given up hope that it will be available and just ordered it from KOF. I don’t know what in the world is the deal with Home Depot or Home Decorators or whoever is responsible for producing and selling the thing…

What’s funny is that I’ve kept a tab open to the Home Depot website listing for mooooonths and I check it semi-regularly. (Refresh. For sale yet? Nope.) I always get an email from Home Depot (I’m logged in to their site) saying “We have what you are looking for!” with a picture and a link to this product on their site. HA! I’m sorry. No, you don’t have what I’m looking for!

2 Likes

So finally broke down and placed the order today. The pricing has gone up a little it was $50 for the Receiver and $32 for the remote.

I just ordered mine as well. $50 is for the receiver plus shipping, same price as was posted in this thread earlier. Can’t speak to the price of the remote as I didn’t buy one.

Not sure if this one will work as the I wall switch for the receiver, looks like it is in sale right now. Can anyone confirm? Thanks

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Ceiling-Fan-Wall-Control-9050H/202801200?MERCH=REC--mobileweb_pip_rr-1--205846346--202801200--N

In my opinion, it will not work. The zigbee fan controller needs to pair with the wall remote to work and even though it is made by the same company, they may not pair with each other. Please report back if you are able to pair it.

What? No, the zigbee fan controller can be controlled by two separate things. First is a zigbee hub/device/remote etc. Second is a Home Decorators/Hampton Bay Universal Remote device. It’s the later we’re talking about with that wall switch. The only question is whether that one uses the same frequency setup as the other Universal Remotes that are confirmed to work.

Pretty sure @MjnMixael has it right. I looked into this a month or so ago by checking FCC ID’s on the home decorators remote, and this Hampton bay wall remote mentioned by @ViggS. They were not the same frequency, i don’t recall the exact frequencies though.

I agree with MjnMixael half way. The frequency must match but you also need to be speaking the same protocol. Sort of like there are lots of ZigBee devices that will have the same frequency and connect to SmartThings but until a device handler is written (the protocol ) it doesn’t do us a lot of good

Thanks, I’ll stick to the one we know uses the same frequency as the remote that is made for the device.

Hi,

I still have a problem with this, I removed the 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat.

I just test in other two rooms works, only in my room I have problems.[quote=“emersonvier, post:240, topic:47463”]
Saturday I remove the “3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat” App then works, but I have other 3 fan works very well only in my master room I have this problem, same time works same time not :frowning:

My set Up
MR101Z
Wall remote( I do not remember model)
[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller
[RELEASE] 3 Speed Ceiling Fan Thermostat

Thank you very much for you support.
[/quote]

Have you tried this yet? If so, how does it work?