Hampton Bay Zigbee Fan controller

Thanks for the details. Lets take the conversation to the thread listed above. We dont want to sidetrack this thread.

1 Like

I received my controller from KOF a few weeks ago but havenā€™t had time to install it. Most notably, there is a ā€œspikeā€ in the middle of my fan bracket were the controller would sit. Seems like itā€™s there intentionally to prevent someone from putting a remote controller in.

Iā€™m wondering if I could hacksaw it off or should I get a whole new bracket and canopy for the fan.

@ultrazero Did you happen to take a picture of the spike, or what Model/Make is the fan. My old Hunter had one that when I switched to a ā€œdumbā€ remote last year after I accidentally broke the chain off, that had what looked like a spike (though it was flat like a dow rod) After I called hunter they said it was an alignment pin for their remote units. (seems the hanging plates are ā€œglobalā€ for all their fans) I just took my dremel to the thing and was good to go.

1 Like

As a FYI 5/23/17 Just got off with KOF and ordered my first Remote/Controller. Its was $82 w/ Shippping to Pennsylvania. The lady I spoke to said it would be here in 7 business days. Funny thing was when I gave her the UPC # of the fan she instantly came back asking if I wanted the remote and receiver. After I chuckled and said yes she said I was the 3rd person today to call for one. :slight_smile:

She did say something about putting a rubber stop or gromit or something for the antenna? Anyone have any idea what she was talking about?

Not sure how much of this is true, but she said Home Depot is NOT going to be selling them anytime soon because they need to package in this ā€œrubber stopperā€ thing?

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the spike. Going to borrow a friendā€™s dremel.

Are you grinding it down completely, or just enough to clear room for the receiver? If all the way, Iā€™d worry about the ball turning, unlikely but perhaps, off the socket.

i have a similar wedge in one of my fans on one side and the controller fits perfectly upside down from the other end so the thick piece is on the other side the thiner side is on the wedge end

1 Like

That is slightly bigger than the one on my fan and not in the.same spot. That almost looks like a tracker for the ball to help stabilize it in the socket. I would only take off a bit and try and get the receiver in another way. If it needs to come out completely I would watch how much it slides around when the fan is on high speed.

Good luck bud. Let us know what comes out so if anyone else has the same problem.

Havenā€™t heard about this or what this might be for?

TOTALLY agree with this. There really isnā€™t anything right side up or down as far as operation is concerned so treat it like a puzzle piece and flip it over to allow it to slide in
https://community.smartthings.com/uploads/short-url/oJ9R9WMkHfJd73hrxpj4F2znVlp.jpeg

Ok! Memorial weekend puzzle project.

2 Likes

Anyone thought about this all control? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Ceiling-Fan-Wall-Control-9050H/202801200. It doesnā€™t have breeze and looks a little more dated than the other hampton bay but it looks like it will take line voltage. It still has a battery so not entirely sure what itā€™s for but Iā€™m wondering if the on-off at the bottom simply sends an off command to the receiver of it cuts the power or if it cuts the power like a mechanical switch.

For some reason, I hesitate to give up all mechanical control. On one of my fans I went ahead and put a smart switch in front of the receiver so worst comes to worst (or if say replacing receiver) I could kill mechanically via the switch or even air gap without having to dig into the wall. That works fine though Iā€™d like the additional fan wall control. Guess Iā€™m just curious if there are any that donā€™t have battery dependencies and still provide mechanical all on/off as well as the more granular RF interfaces.

Same thing with shipping to Seattle was $85 (as of 5/30/17), of which $15 was shipping, so clearly the prices have been adjusted upwards a bit from those originally reported. Rep seemed very un-surprised that this was intended to retrofit an existing fan rather than parts for the intended model.

1 Like

Okay, I now know what this is for, and what she was talking about. I was told by the lady that the Wink Antenna should be OUTSIDE of the fan shroud. So, with trusty dremel in hand, I routed out a small notch, and sanded it down nice and smooth. As I was putting the shroud back on, I must of slit into the antenna wire. When I threw the switch it was like the 4th of July with sparks. (Yes, I just ordered another oneā€¦ sigh)

So, if you want the antenna on the outside, make sure you take a rubber grommet, cut it in half, and nestle the wire in the safety of the rubber.

Do you guys put your antenna under the shroud or outside of the shroud? I really donā€™t want to keep ordering these. :disappointed:

Outside the shroud for me.

FYI: I donā€™t believe the early July 4th wasnā€™t due to you cutting the antenna, but due one of the high voltage wires. When you take down the fan it should be obvious because something should show the damage where the arcing occurred. There is a slight chance the device could still be ok.

I placed my antenna outside the scroud. Worked with remote. Connect to smartthings hit on and that was it. Shroud cut the antenna wires. After that controller didnā€™t work.
I opened the contoller and disconnected the antenna but controller still didnt work. Hooked a volt meter up to controller and no power at any of the wires. Not sure what happened as all the power wires had wire nuts and elec tape. I really canā€™t see the antenna doing this but i dont know.

If you hit on, the motor started to turn, lots of things can happen thenā€¦

If it makes you feel better I fried one of mine as well :slight_smile: . Somehow in act of being 20 feet in the air, guess I rushed through getting wire nuts secure and tucked away as I was screwing shroud back on, turned it on and sparked. The receiver had nice burn mark and burnt fuseā€¦So Iā€™ll be ordering another and trying again. Other one I installed on the 8 foot ceiling living room worked like charm though so worth the effort.

I agree, donā€™t think you cut the antenna, but somehow shorted line voltage wire. I too have to squeeze the antenna between mounting bracket and fan due to the large head of the wink antenna. The RF antenna is able to slide through a hole presumably made for it, but rectangular head for zigbee is too large to do so. I was worried Iā€™d slice through it as well but it seemed to do ok. My issue was just in getting everything squeezed back in there and screwed down, I apparently loosened something enough to short out. It mustā€™ve been nut between receiver and fan because its fuse poped and home breaker never did.

Nope, was defiantly the Antenna. You can see where the arcing was on the cord. The top of my fan shroud was chard on the sport that the cord got caught on. When I called to order my new one, the guy I spoke to this time said that this has happened before which is why they suggest using some type of rubber insulator to keep the wire from being cut. I see more dremeling in my future.

1 Like

Wow, that looks like some good arc damage to me as well! :blush: So absolutely need to be careful when putting the fan cowl back up. Thanks for posting that picture. So everyone should look on the mounting bracket and where a safe place to exit the antenna might be. The mounting bracket below makes it easy to not damage the antenna when you keep it away from the red X area.