Halo Smart Smoke Detector

Hardwired smoke detector (possibly with CO2 monitoring). I’d prefer something with a direct connection, but not completed opposed to another service that ties in.

If I didn’t have the Halo I’d probably get this https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/ecolink-z-wave-plus-firefighter-ff-zwave5-smoke-and-co-audio-detector

1 Like

It looks like that isn’t actually a “detector”. It mounts next to an existing detector and listens for the audio siren.

I’d prefer something that was a single unit.

Correct. Works with whatever device you have now.

1 Like

Do you have current hardwired detectors? I have FirstAlert/BRK alarms and got a RM4 relay for them and wired the dry contact to my Konnected.io board. Works really good.

I’ve seen these types of “detectors” show up recently. I have my doubts that a microphone is very accurate vs relying on individual sensors. Kind of like a glass break sensor in a security system.

Ring makes one like this as well. It’s specifically for their security system (which I have) but maybe it works on z wave with a device handler?

• Description says to place it within 3 inches from a smoke/CO detector. So I would assume it’s very good at only alarming when the smoke/CO detector goes off vs false positive noises (loud music?).

I was wondering the same thing. I had planned on buying more of the Halos (I only have 2 right now and need 5 more) but with this announcement I think I might go old school and buy dumb alarms and integrate them using the relay approach. Nest Protects are even more expensive than the Halos.

@brenthaag how do you power the konnect.io board? All of my smoke detectors are in areas where I can’t plug in a device.

@mjarends I have a smoke detector in an unfinished part of my basement. So, I added a single gang box to put the relay in, ran 12/3 conductor over to the existing detector, then ran alarm wiring from the relay over to the Konnected board (I had to fish wire to get it over there–looking back, it might’ve been easier to get the Konnected board over next to the relay). So, I had power where the board was located (but where the 3 I have right now are all on a battery backup, so I’d lose that).

You could tap off the power for your smoke detectors and put a receptacle/outlet there, but I’m guessing that might be hard with where your detectors are at.

Hi everyone. I’m new to SmartThings. I bought the hub due to Smart Labs going out of business. It’s all set up and my Halo is connected. The reason that I got the Halo is that my smoke detector is right next to the kitchen and always goes off. In the SmartThings Halo “app”, the flame at the top turns green (if I remember correctly) when it detects smoke, but there’s no button to Hush. Any ideas on what’s going on?

You must be using the new SmartThings app. Try SmartThings Classic.

1 Like

Does anyone have a working Halo smoke detector to sell? I have 3 Halos, but one will not pair with the ST hub. I’m assuming there’s a firmware issue or something went wrong with Zigbee hardware. The other two Halos paired quickly and have remained connected to the hub. I’ve tried every possible trick to get it to pair, but no luck. Thanks.

One of my halo units has started beeping every few minutes–when I check it in smartthings, it reports “ion sensor failed”–any ideas on how to fix this or am I SOL…

Thanks,
N123

Bad unit. You may get lucky and find that your local Lowes may have one. The one closest to me had one for sale. It’s packaging was badly damaged, but it was new. I was temped, but I have no need for any more.

1 Like

My house has multiple Halo smoke detectors that are hardwired. From reading this thread, I can just replace the one defective Halo unit with a standard “dumb” smoke detector and everything will still function normally correctly? (i.e. the “dumb” detector will function as a “dumb” detector and the multiple remaining Halo’s will function as “smart” detectors)

I have one hardwired Halo integrated with my other dumb alarms. With the Halo app, when any of the interconnected alarms (or the Halo alarm) was triggered I would get a text notification. This is important for me as I travel. I have attached the Halo alarm to Smartthings but do not know how to create the same notification. Can someone explain that to me?

Also, in the old Halo app, I was able to ‘test’ the alarms and check battery level, but now that Halo is out of business there doesn’t seem to be a way to do that either. Does anyone know if a workaround exists for this functionality?

In the Smartthings app the only controls I have is a status (Clear), on/off toggle, light color and dimmer, plus temp and humidity.

Thanks for your help.

You can test halo in the ST app. Also you can set up notifications in ST app as well for when it alarms. If you have the Halo+ you can also set up weather notifications from Halo in the ST app.

i don’t think you can test from the new smartthings app. Only classic.

That is correct. I forgot about the new app since I only use the classic app.

I am new to Smartthings and went right for the New App, which doesn’t include a way to test the alarm or send notifications. It looks like this is all available in the classic app so will go try it out.

On a side note, it looks like there is a new First Alert Smoke and CO detector that works the way the Halo used to operate, but I think it is Wifi and not ZWave.

Halo uses zigbee when connected to SmartThings. Before they went out of business, it could connect directly to their cloud with WiFi (but couldn’t use both zigbee and WiFi at the same time).

If you take a look at the support pages on how to setup smart home monitor, you’ll be able to setup smoke/CO alerts.

1 Like