Halo Smart Smoke Detector

Thanks, but from what I can tell those are limited to notifications in the app.

Aren’t you wanting a notification from the SmartThings app when the Halo goes off?

I want to send the sms to a phone that does not have the smart things app. Secondarily, I want to be able to run a test from the app. but I understand that that is only on the first generation app.

SHM in the classic app can send SMS notifications. I don’t use the new app so I don’t know about that one.

Thank you all for your help and clarification. Now I know I need the Classic app. I have tried to set it up but I get an invalid code error. It seems I have to reset the hub but then I will lose all my settings and automations that I previously set. (v2 hub).

This will be tonight’s project.

If you really want to up your game – and fix all the issues you mention above – I recommend installing the WebCore app: https://community.webcore.co/

There’s a bit of a learning curve it getting it all running, but it will unleash the power of the Smartthings hub. You can easily write a piston to check the battery level of a Halo and notify you (via email, SMS, whatever) if it goes beneath a certain threshold, or SMS you if a Halo is triggered.

Foul

1 Like

There is no reason to reset your hub. Call support.

Anybody know how to remove the Halo’s from the wifi connection now that they closed shop? I never got around to pairing them with ST. Now if I try to remove it from the app, it just spins (works) and never comes back saying the device is removed; thus I can not pair it on zigbee with ST.

you can reset them by holding the center button

2 Likes

Can you please provide more specific information regarding how to enable Halo wireless interconnect through ST by enabling a virtual alarm through a smart app? I have two Halos, one in the basement and one upstairs. The upstairs one is interconnected with dumb alarms via hard wire but I need the wireless interconnect between the two Halos to avoid fishing an interconnect wire from the basement to the upstairs. I just got an ST V3 hub and successfully got the Halos to join the ST network but wireless interconnect does not work between them yet. Thanks!

There may be an app out there that will virtually connect Halos, but the way I’d do it would be via a WebCore piston: Halo Smart Smoke Detector

IF halo1 OR halo2 CHANGES TO alarm THEN WITH halo1 AND halo2 TURN ON alarm

… something to that effect.

Foul

1 Like

I know this is old, but can anyone tell me the type of power connector this uses? I picked one up but it didn’t include the power adapter so I’m trying to track one down.

TIA

I could be wrong – it’s been 2 years since I installed mine – but they don’t have a power adapter; they connect directly to house wiring with electrical wire nuts, like a fan does.

Thanks, Scott. My Halo has a male 3-wire receptacle.
The manual shows a female adaptor should be included with the alarm itself. I’m trying to swap out a (newer) Kidde alarm that has a funky paddle type connection that is incompatible with the Halo.

It’s been a while, but I think the plug for my “dumb” First Alert was a direct plug and play.

I believe the Halo Smoke Detectors with a power cable were testing versions that Halo sent out to a few beta testers. It was not the way it was intended to be used but was sent out that way so beta testers did not have to install it on a ceiling or wall but rather just plug it in and leave it on a table.

Okay… before you say it… I can really pick 'em.
Do I have any hope to migrate 5 Halo units and on Halo+ to ST from Iris…
(Can’t believe I picked TWO companies that went belly up!)
I’ve taken them off the Iris hub and tried to bring them up in the Halo app. Just spins at the point of adding to “Home.” Seems to have made it connecting to the internet, etc. Neither new ST app nor Classic have an “add” for it. Please remember I’m a ST newby!

Reset them first:

To reset, hold down center button for approximately 20+ seconds. Halo will reset all ZigBee settings and leave the network.

Then add a Thing via the Classic app and it will find them. I have 9 working just fine with ST.

1 Like

So if I understand it correctly, from all of the various threads… If I buy one of these halo units on eBay, (even if the company is no longer around) and have experience using Device Handlers on ST, I can add this unit and connect it to my existing (not ST enabled) wired Kidde smoke detectors and it will alert me when those go off also? What I am a little unclear on how exactly it connects to my existing hardwired system? I have like 12 detectors to replace and don’t want to spend a small fortune replacing them all if I don’t have to.

They are hardwired into your existing interconnect, so any smoke detector will trigger all of them which will trigger SHM if you have it connected to SmartThings.

I have one Halo on each floor and the rest are dumb interconnected detectors.