Genie Aladdin Connect

The Google play app had a reply from the developer, that ifttt support was indeed being worked on for release.

2 Likes

It would seem I am 3 1/2 years behind on this thread and there is still no integration between Genie Aladdin and Smartthings. Now that Iris by Lowes is officially over and I have to convert all my things to Smartthings. Is there another option for garage door openers other that GoControl? Im not against it, Just curious to other plug and play options only. Not looking to be my own developer and splice devices together. Thanks in advance for you comments.

I’m in the same boat. Coming from Iris. Really disappointed there’s no official support. Hoping some really smart folks can make an easy workaround for us average folks. Haha.

I tried to setup an iris hub when I started into smarthome stuff for these garage door openers. The hub was garbage and I couldn’t even get it setup. I got my money back on it. Is it defunct now or something?

I am also, and I am now a new Smarthings user. According to OverHead Door Anywhere folks (same system) this week they are working on integration with two other platforms first then working on Smarthings.

FYI if your device has a born on date earlier then 2017, and you have been connected to Iris this entire time (like me) the firmware can not be updated to use the Aladin/OHD Anywhere apps. But they will ship you a new one for free… At least at this moment.

1 Like

So when you access the ui at the genie Aladdin Connect IP address, there’s no drop down to choose Iris or genie (default)

I found a way to access the Genie AladdinConnect API and use it to control my garage doors. Instructions are on this thread: Genie Aladdin garage door

1 Like

It looks like official support is coming in May!!

" Compatibility with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, and IFTTT coming May 2019"

https://www.geniecompany.com/aladdinconnect/default.aspx

1 Like

I’ve seen a review that says you cannot set this product up if you are using a Samsung S10 or newer type phones. Can anyone confirm this? I really want to buy one, but that is the only phone type I have.

honestly doubt it. It uses standard wifi direct for setup. So the genie broadcasts a wifi hotspot that you join. Then go to it’s website (while connected to the hotspot) for setup and to enter in your wifi credentials that you want the genie to connect to.

Some phones will say “this wifi has no internet connection” and may disconnect from the hotspot. if that happens you can just go to the wifi settings or tap the notification that says this warning and choose “stay connected anyway” (on your cell phone)

It’s the same situation as setting up a ring doorbell, skybell doorbell, genie aladdin connect, wifi direct printers, etc.

This might be anecdotal, but i actually believe this to be true although after speaking with their tech support before I bought it, they believed that it wasn’t. I bought it and started the install. I could see that my phone was connected to the device, but kept getting an error in the app that said it could not connect and complete the setup. After multiple attempts and even removing the app all together and reinstalling, I asked my brother-in-law if I could use his phone. He has an S7 and it worked flawlessly the first time. Something is stopping the install on my S9+ for some reason. I didn’t bother to call tech support back after it installed, but will probably send them an email with my experience.

i see, the genie aladdin app isn’t compatible with the OS for the initial setup. I was able to access the “controller” via it’s IP address while connected to the wifi direct hot spot of the controller, then set my wifi settings there. Afterwards, I was able to use the aladdin connect app. I also found that the OHD “over head door” app works as well as the genie aladdin connect app. Thanks for the tip!

Fwiw i set mine up on a pixel xl 3 no problem and that’s a 2018 phone. It works great on the note 9 as well.

Also the Google Assistant integration is okay. It’s not Google home integration perse, it’s through the Google Assistant app. But once set up through the assistant app it works on Google homes to open/close get status.

Last we heard in May was “IFTTT coming soon”. Anybody heard anything confirming/denying that?

I haven’t heard anything yet, but loving the webcore/aladdinconnectAPI/phone presence setup to open the garage automatically!

Hi Folks,

I just purchased the Genie wall mounted garage door opener which uses the Genie Aladdin Connect system for mobile app/smart home integration. But before purchasing this, I tried searching for anyone out there whom had experienced with the Aladdin Connect integration with SmartThings but surprisingly couldn’t find ANYONE! Both Genie and SmartThings boasted about the compatibility and support but no one really explained how it really worked or if you need any device handlers and such, but I went ahead and purchased it and experienced it for myself.

So for those that are thinking of purchasing a Genie garage door opener with the Aladdin Connect smart garage door system, here’s how it integrates with SmartThings.

1. download the Aladdin Connect mobile app so you could configure/register the garage door opener’s WiFi
  2. Launch the Aladdin Connect app and register for an account then proceed to use the app to configure/register the garage door opener.
  3. Once the Aladdin Connect mobile app is fully configure/setup with the unit then next use the SmartThings app to add the garage door opener device
  4. In the SmartThings app, (a) tap on “Devices”, (b) tap on “+” to add a device, (c) scroll down the device list and select “Garage Door”, (d) choose the “Aladdin Connect” from the list then select “Genie / Aladdin Connect”
  5. After this step then it should try to connect you to the Genie Aladdin Connect API which will prompt you to login using your previously created Aladdin Connect account then it will complete the process and add the garage door device to your SmartThings devices.

Then you can launch this device to operate the garage door or check the door status.

Hope this helps you if you’re contemplating on purchasing a Genie garage door opener with the Aladdin Connect but not sure if it works well with your SmartThings system!

Duc,

4 Likes

Using these instructions from dmt953, ST works well with my Genie Aladdin Connect mobile app EXCEPT ST always show door status as “Closing…” and not “Closed”. The Aladdin app shows correct “Closed” status but apparently is not passing that status correctly to ST.

Hi Jerry,

Since integrating the Genie Aladdin Connect with my SmartThings a few months ago I noticed that the status of the Genie garage door is stuck at “Closing” quite often and it disappointed me tremendously. I did try calling Genie support but of course I got no where with them. I am quite sure the problem is on the Genie’s API service.

One thing that I also noticed is that when this is happening, I would use the Genie Alladin Connect mobile app to either open or close the garage door which it does, but it then cannot read the status of the door afterward, this tells me that the problem is very likely on the Genie side. I really hope that enough folks complains about this to get Genie’s attention to fix this problem.

Is genie Aladdin connect down?

I think so mines not working. Seems to be a cloud issue.

Does the Aladdin connect work well with smartthings? I have the myq which does not have native connection with ST but I had a workaround that worked well for some years. Not anymore so wanted to see if the Aladdin connect works well. I would like to operate my genie garage opener via ST.