GE Link bulbs seem too bright even at 10%

(Troy) #1

Maybe it is just me, but even at 10 % my link bulbs seem awful bright. Does anyone else have this or know if anything can be done?
They are in my front porch lights and we just want a soft low light to accent things, but these seem to light up the entire porch.
Perhaps a better option would be lower watt standard leds and a dimming smartthings switch?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

I regularly use levels from 1% to 30%.

I don’t know if the brightness is linear… But as long as SmartThings doesn’t limit dimming to 10% increments, the bulbs are fine.

But 10% increments are currently common, including, admittedly, in the current version SmartTiles (but future SmartTiles will have higher granularity of control).

(Troy) #3

I just got the V2 hub, so you are saying just be patient and soon I should have options other than 10% increments? (since 10% is the lowest I can go right now, as far as I know)

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

Yes… But also log the feature request with Support@SmartThings.com and search for various Community built, free, lighting SmartApps here on the Forum that Developers write with a focus on details like this.

(Realy Living Dream) #5

I will chime in and agree that on ST V2 even 1 or 2% is a LOT brighter than it was when I was using Wink ( go ahead and laugh) or Almond+ hubs.
I guess that is a good thing, since I used to leave about 4 of them on at 1% as night lights, but since they are so much brighter now I have gone to actually shutting all the lights off at night . The hall lights @ 1% on PIR at night is enough to blind you.

(Kristopher Kubicki) #6

@juano2310 - can you help us get 1% added to the Hue and other Lighting apps? I think lots of folks have asked to have an increment lower than 10%.

Separately, for a while there was a defect where setLevel() <7% was stuck at 7%. This was corrected on the Hue and Osram bulbs but I wouldn’t be surprised if it existed elsewhere too (like GE).

Thanks!

(Ray) #7

I second that. Would be great to be able to go below 10%. I am using a couple of custom apps because of this and of course no local process because of it.

(Scott G) #8

These lights are hard because Zigbee uses 0-255 as possible values for dim level, so ST does a conversion based on 0-100%. 1% in ST is 25 or 26 to the bulb, so there’s room to go dimmer although who knows how much difference it would make. It’s possible Wink/Almond used the whole range.

I think it was brought up in the past that an exponential conversion might make more sense than a linear one because the perceived brightness difference is stronger at lower dim levels than at 80-100%.

Could easily do this or use a custom slider range 0-255 in a custom devicetype, but it wouldn’t play nice with SmartApps and lose local processing for v2 users.

(Realy Living Dream) #9

That actually makes sense, since I thought I was imagining that along with being brighter at low levels, they also seam not as bright at high levels. So it is feasible that what was 1% or 2 % is now 3-5%, and at the other end what was 100% is now only 90-95% when converting from 1/255 to 1/100 .

(Juan Risso) #10

Let me check the code but I don’t think I limit it or do increments but it’s true there are some legacy 255 conversions. I will take a look.

(Jody) #11

The Cree bulbs are definitely doing a conversion of 0-255

Just look at the set level of 5% that returns a value of 0d or 13. 99% returns 254.

(Juan Risso) #12

I will try to find who did Cree, I did Hue since I specialize in LAN connected devices :smile:

(Troy) #13

You guys are starting to lose me with all the technical talk. :grinning:
I did find that I can manually dim down to 1% withing smartthings by going directly to each light. I tried this and liked the results.
So I assume that smartthings just needs to allow this option within the smartapp.
Tonight I will have to check again, but I think that the lights are coming on a fair amount higher than 10% that they are set for.Does that sound possible? Maybe related to the 0-225 you guys are speaking of?

(Juan Risso) #14

We are doing the conversion for Hue so what I will do is to set bri to 1 if level is 1 and use the conversion for the rest of the values. At least we will have a true 1%. Not sure when this will go out since is a minimal change and we need to get QA involved before publishing.

(Mike) #15

Post a beta device type so we can test it and give feedback.

(Juan Risso) #16

It is on the Service Manager not the device type for Hue. In order to test it you would have to uninstall your current setup and use this one instead.

(Mike) #17

Got it, thanks for the clarification. Probably doesn’t make a lot of sense for most people then.

I notice the poor dimming with the GE bulbs also but I see it even when they are being “dumb” in a smart dimmer so I’m curious if software will actually fix this. I can show a GE bulb and another LED in the same controlled fixture and the GE is WAY brighter.

(Juan Risso) #18

GE is very bright, I have them connected to the HUE Bridge and at 1% they are really bright still.

(Troy) #19

Maybe it was just a fluke, or maybe I accidentally stumbled on a work around.
2 nights ago, when my smartapp was triggered and the porch lights were on, I went to each bulb on smartthings app and lowered each one down to 1% and they dimmed way down to that. Then last night at sunset when the smartapp triggered again, the bulbs both came on and were both at 1% (even though the smartapp has them set at 10%)

(Fast, Good, Cheap...pick two.) #20

With the hard to manage dials that don’t report % how did you get it to 1%?