Change Wifi Settings

Hi so I have the newest Smartthings app and is it just me or is there not a way to change your wifi settings or what wifi you connect the hub to? I have a friend who just changed to a new mesh wifi router and hes trying to change the wifi the hub is connected to, and im trying to help him out. But I cant find anywhere in the new app to change wifi settings? Is it just me or is it not an option in the new app?

Hey there! @Trenton_LaBiche, Thank for reaching out for assistance. Apologies for any inconveniences in locating the setting as the In-app re-configuration option has been moved directly into the Device’s options.

You would select your Hub > Three Dot Menu > Information > You will see a Blue option for “Update Wifi Information”. This will take you through the steps to set up WiFI on your hub to allow the hub to be on the new mesh network. This is the same location where you locate the Firmware ran on the Hub.

Additionally, you can force a WiFi network change without factory resetting your hub using the steps below. Less than Ideal, but both methods will get your desired outcome of changing the WiFi to the new updated information.

1. Remove the ethernet cable (if plugged in)
  2. Press and hold the reset button on the back of the Hub
  3. The LED will turn solid blue and then go dark
  4. Hold the reset button for ~15 seconds until the LED rapidly blinks yellow
  5. Release the reset button when it starts blinking yellow
  6. The LED will likely go solid magenta and then briefly solid red
  7. Once the LED is blinking blue, open the SmartThings app
  8. Navigate to Devices and select “Add a device”
  9. Select Wi-Fi/Hub → SmartThings Hub (IM6001-V3P) → Wi-Fi
  10. Scan the QR code as directed and finish setup

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

2 Likes

Ok thank you so much. I really appreciate the help. I see the “update wifi information” button.

Cheers,
Trenton

1 Like

The Change Wifi option is no longer available in the app, what is the best way to change networks now?

1 Like

I have the same question - that option is not available. Do I have to go through the 10 step process or is there an other location within the app now?

Hey there! @rdtnrp, Welcome to the Community! :slight_smile:

At the time of posting the original solution the option was available in the ST App. However, it is has since been removed as an available option in the ST App.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused but you would need to utilize the second option to force the Wi-Fi network change and be able to enter the new network credentials.

^SamsungZell

Sooooo, does that mean I’ll need to reset the bazillion ST devices I have??? That would be very frustrating.

3 Likes

Do you have to re-add all the devices on your network if you reset your hub wifi this way?

1 Like

Hello SamsungZell, this blue “Update Wifi Information” button does not show up on mine. I see the firmware and open source license button, but no wifi button. I’ve got a Hub v3. Please advise how to get the wifi reconfigure to show up.

2 Likes

Hey there! @jiveman,

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused but you would need to utilize the second option to force the Wi-Fi network change and be able to enter the new network credentials.

^SamsungZell

Can someone confirm that the second option from the solution does not remove devices? It seems not too bad as long as all settings and connected devices remain unchanged. However there’s no way I would do this if I had to add devices again.

This hardly seems resolved.
Much like @endotronic I would also like to know how we can change networks on our SmartThings hubs (or new Aeotek hubs I assume) between different WiFi networks or Ethernet.

Does holding the reset button unpair all zigbee/z-wave devices? Is there a way to trigger a safe reset that will not result in orphaned devices?

Agree, the second option isn’t a solution.

Can anyone confirm if after the reset we need to re-pair devices?

1 Like

You’ve not answered the questions here at all, do you or do you not have to deregister the entire lot if you change wifi details with the second option? Samsung seem quite stupid for taking the direct option away and far from the high standards I’d of expected, If every 12 months I’ve got to deregister everything again from scratch I’d of opted for a different brand, with a user friendly interface. How hard cannot be to have a change wifi address option….

1 Like

I was going from hardwired connection to Wi-Fi. Once I unplug the network cable and waited for the hub to show as offline, it then gave me the change Wi-Fi information under the information section of the hub. It didn’t show it until it was saying offline.

I followed the steps and held the paper clip in there for about three or four seconds and the light started flashing amber as I was instructed to do. I did not lose any access to my devices and everything works fine.

1 Like

Same here. It appears that the option to change WIFI only appears on the Hub “Information” screen if the hub is “offline”.
A reliable way to do this is to kill the network the hub is on, then go through the prompts. No other devices lost

Hmmmm…Just tried this. Unplugged the hub so the hub is offline and did not find an option for the wifi settings under the information screen. Any thoughts on whether this is still supposed to work or if there is another approach?