Can’t connect new SmartThings WiFi Plug

yes, when you login - you should see all your devices. Now if you don’t, there could be two causes. one) you may have two Locations. You can easily switch to the other Location in the new app to see the devices. There is also a way to remove that unused (empty) Location if you have it. or two) devices may not be synced up… very rare to see this but requires ST support to resolve.

steps to remove an empty location…

I as able to download the new app. I did have two locations and went through the instructions to get rid of the ‘phantom’ location. All my devices showed up and I tested a few through the new app. And, they worked. However, my hub is showing offline in the new app. And, I still can’t get the wifi smart plug to be recognized in the new app.

android or iOS?

I’m running on an iPhone iOS. Version 13.3

click on the menu (three bars in upper left of screen) and choose Notices. read the 1st notice and see if that helps

Thanks for the suggestions. I went through all the suggestions in the Notices and that didn’t help. My hub is still showing offline and I still can’t get the wifi smart plug connected.

I’d better suggest you contact ST support at this point. Hopefully they will be able to assist you in getting it connected. I know there have many reporting being unable to connect them of late

Ok, thanks for all your suggestions and help.

If you get them connected, let others know on here :slight_smile:

I’ve found contacting support through the help menu of the app to be pretty good. Usually get a response within two days. Could be more than that with holidays coming up, though.

Just an update that I have been working with Samsung support. Haven’t been able to get it to work yet, but one piece of information that others might be interested in. The Smart Plug will only connect to a 2.4ghz wifi network. So, if you have a 2.4 and a 5ghz network in your house, you will need to disable your 5ghz network to get the smart plug to connect up. I believe the way the installation works is through the app, you go through adding a device. Your phone needs to be on the 2.4ghz wifi network before adding the smart plug. When you go to add the smart plug, your phone will try to connect to the smart plugs wifi network. Once your phone is connected to the smart plug, it attempts to reconfigures the smart plug with the wifi info that your phone was using to connect to your home wifi network. Once the smart plug is reconfigured, it connects to your home wifi network. No hub is needed to control the smart plug within the SmartThimgs app.
Hope this helps others to maybe get it working. As I have mentioned in the beginning, I still can’t get it working and I am still working with Samsung support.

More to follow…

1 Like

I was finally able to set the two WiFi Smart Plugs I was trying over the last two days. I followed the recommendation above to disable the 5GHz network from my router, i think this is needed, but was able to set the two plugs ONlY when I tried the new Smarthings app on my iPad. All previous unsuccessful attends were done on my iPhone. Not sure if someone mentioned this before, but just want to share in case you are dealing with same issues as I was. By the way, the support instructions from Samsung are really unhelpful

Very interesting. I was also successful with adding the smart plug after using the iPad with the new app. I did not have to turn off the 5 ghz WiFi.

Good luck all!

I got mine to work by using an old iPhone I had in a drawer without cellular data. I now suspect that the issue might be related to WiFi assist on newer iPhones. That setting pushes traffic to cellular data when WiFi is having trouble, since the connection step would be a “dead” connection I think the phone never fully connects. Try turning off cellular data temporarily and making sure you see the WiFi symbol at the top of your phone when you connect to the plug WiFi during setup. Or try turning off WiFi assist temporarily.

I’m not to happy with ST right now. This would be the second issue that their support can not or have not fixed. I bought a NEXX garage opener assistant and while they have it listed as a supported device in the app, it’s failing to add the device. ST support says to call the other company to get it resolved. I’m pissed because I’m playing the inbetween of these two companies that are “partners”. And now, I bought 2 of these plugs and regardless of what I do, they don’t connect. Disable 5GHz, network, connect manually with 1111122222, restart network, hold down power button, restart phone, quit app. Nothing. I’m returning them. Anyone have over 30 devices connected to smartthings and they are about to lose a customer! Anyone have good experience with another home automation hub?

I worked on this for a couple hours yesterday and finally got it working. Using iOS 13.3, I turned off the main cellular data and my wifi assist is not turned on it still didn’t work. I had to also disable the cellular data on the app itself and it worked fine. Hope this helps someone.

and i also made sure I was on my 2.4 SSID

Tried all these suggestions with no success. Have contacted Support but they have so far only said they’ll get back to me.

How can they sell a product that doesn’t work? How long does it take to come up with a fix?

I am encountering this problem as well. Bought new smart thing plugs and can’t get them set up. Giving error messages

I’ve been told that it works when using an Android device. Haven’t tried it yet.