Any news on Nest integration?

Any new development on integrating nest with SmartThings using google accounts? Is it still a possibility or the nest integration is dead in the water?

No news and I don’t think there will be any for some time. Google needs to release an API first.

Current status: no integration for new setups

2 Likes

Yes very stupid on google end. Agree 100%. I still have a developer account with work with nest that I used to integrate nest thermostats with a harmony remote I had. I am just starting with SmartThings and sadly I cant add new devices to my nest account thanks to google stupidity. I have not migrated to a google account yet, however I see they have an integration with Alexa, which would be better than nothing. So I am wondering should I switch to a google account now and use Alexa or sit tight and see if google will cave in and allow again?
Or switch and wait for them to come up with the promised public api for personal use?
What do you advise?

This is only my opinion and I definitely do not like saying you should do this or do that but in this case switching to a google account and using Alexa may be the best option for you. I don’t believe Google is going to “cave” and allow the Nest API to be used again. If you had an existing integration between Nest and ST, I’d say don’t convert to a google account at this point but it does not apply in your case. Others may have different opinions.

It is so frustrating… google broke a beautifully working thing and did not care to provide a substitute functionality and it seems they are sitting on their ass as they broke it almost 6 months ago and they have nothing on the horizon to fix it other that a generic promise. I really hate that you invest a product with a specific functionality you like (work with nest API in this case) they get acquired and the new company cripples the product.
I bought my first nest as they came out years ago and now I have 5 of them. Too invested to change to a different thermostat but very disappointed.

I totally agree. I have the feeling they will probably announce more details at their IO conference in May.

What I found to work best is to use an Ecobee thermostat.

4 Likes

This is the best solution to the discontinuation of the Nest API. :joy:

Grumble… Grumble… I want my 6 Nest Protects back in ST… darn I updated without thinking!

@fightingmajor: I would agree, if I was going to buy new thermostats it would not be nest after this google stunt. Unfortunately I have 5 nests and cant buy new ones.

Hey all,

Yes, very dissapointing this mess that Google did but in my case I did manage to find a workaround which is reasonable. I have NEST thermostat (yah …:frowning: ) and TADO TRVs .
So, basically even if the NEST integrations are out, the Alexa to Nest still works. So, i’ve basically created 2 routines in Alexa one to turn on the thermostat (basically set it to 24 C) and the second one to turn it off (19 C). Then using a virtual switch in smartthings, i’m controlling the Alexa routines. On top of that the TRV’s from each room will control the virtual switch and basically tell the thermostat to go on /off. I know basically i’ve reduced the Nest to a dummy on/off switch but for me it is too much of a hassle to take it off from the wall and buy something else. For the Tado TRVs, i’m using the Tado SmartApp created by fuzzysb, modified to control the virtual switch.
Not ideal but does the job.

Cheers!

@fightingmajor @scottashell
Dear Americans.

Ecobee does not like us people who live in the old world. Therefore Ecobee is not the best solution to the discontinuation of the Nest API.

Furthermore no one and certainly not Ecobee does as good a product as the Nest Protect even if there are acceptable alternatives to the Nest Thermostat. (And Nest cameras.)

FWIW - Google are supposed to be releasing a new API to replace the Nest API but all indications are that -

1. It will not give as much functionality and in our scenarios therefore not do what we need
  2. It will likely be much harder for DIY developers to access and use meaning potentially it will only be suitable for developers like Smartthings themselves to use
  3. It is taking a loooooong time to appear

@jelockwood, have you noticed that SmartThings doesn’t like us, who live outside the US and doesn’t use Fahrenheit?
In the new app, you cannot set temperatures on a thermostat only to full degrees, not to any half degree.
It works well with Fahrenheit, but obviously not with Celsius measurements and control. :wink:

dude im not paying you for it. How is this not advertising ?

2 Likes

There is no official integration with nest. If you want an integration your only choice is to pay him.

Over the years there have been a number of community developers who have offered their code for a fee. Some of these are extremely popular, such as actiontiles, sharptools, and Rboy’s apps. Many represent literally thousands of hours of work. As long as the developer makes it clear in the post that they are asking for a fee, it’s always been the practice in the community to welcome these works. There are often free versions available as well, although they may not have as many features or offer support.

You can always ask in the forum if there are free alternatives to any particular offering and people will let you know. Or you can of course write your own code.

There are also representatives of some of the device manufacturers who participate in the forum and they are also welcome under the same conditions, they just have to identify themselves as having a financial relationship with the company if they are recommending it.

So as long as the person is offering a relevant solution and it’s clearly labeled in the post as not being free, it’s usually regarded as helpful. You can just skip over those if you don’t want any add-on solutions.

I myself have no financial relationship with any of these developers/companies, I’m just another smartthings customer. I have paid for some of the third-party add-ons and generally been happy with them, but I personally do try to stick to the official features as much as I can.

4 Likes

Thank you for explaining. I own rboys and action tiles but I just found it odd when NST manager was free (thanks by the way) as is Homeassistant and homebridge plug-ins. When I did a search for nst replacement his post across multiple topics seemed spam-ish. With the way things are today you never know.

1 Like

Understood, but you can usually tell from the other comments in the author thread whether other community members are using the code and what they think of it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s exactly what he does.

@tonesto7 Now that Google has set up the Device Access, do you think your program can be rebuilt to fit their new API?

I’m devastated that when I factory reset my Nest thermostat due to some wiring/installation issues when I moved, I had to re-link everything and got booted off of your fantastic app.

Hoping you have time/resources to make this work for all of us again. You are the best!