Official Google Nest Integration (January 2021)

6 Likes

Streaming / TSS notifications on Nest Hub devices included? All regions?
High hopes, low expectations here…

Just Seen that on Verge. Oh boy i hope that it is a good integration!

2 Likes

I too just saw on the Verge and came straight here - it’s what I’ve wanted since the beginning. NST was a great stop gap, but really good to hear that Google and Samsung are still on speaking terms! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If its done well, I can see my Heatmiser stat , hub and crappy app going in the bin, been waiting for heatmiser to get its head out its ar## for years and they are now behind the curve, if you don’t keep up, your history

Will watch this development with much interest

1 Like

I might be one of the few but I still like the direction SmartThings are heading in. I recently bought 6 Meross wifi switches and they connected to the hub with no problem. With this Nest support things are looking up in 2021.

2 Likes

I’m waiting to see what devices and capabilities this will support. The article is light on details.

I’m not going to replace my ecobee since it’s still the superior thermostat if you use the sensors, but will definitely buy three smoke detectors if they are supported.

Doorbell would depend on button support, which I’m guessing it won’t have based on the fact the nest app can’t see it either.

Anyway this is a major win for the platform and should resolve a long-standing complaint of many users.

1 Like

Do we know if we are going to have to migrate our nest accounts to Google accounts for this integration to work? Would make rolling back to NST a bit of an issue.

1 Like

Probably you will have to

1 Like

Looks like cameras, doorbell and thermostat. So no Nest Protext integration. Not surprising since their Device Access program doesn’t support it.

2 Likes

Makes reference to the “entire portfolio of Nest devices”

3 Likes

More details here:

This is the press release. Notice it carefully only mentions cameras, doorbell and thermostat.

3 Likes

That’s pretty lame if smoke detectors are not supported.

3 Likes

Google blog

1 Like

I like the mention of Android 11. Does the bug in the new app fixed for Android 11, where it was unable to download the device plugins?

I believe it when I see it working… There have been a number of SmartThings announcements that never came true, disappeared after a while, or never really worked as well as you’d think they should e.g. BMW, ADT, Ring (only some devices supported), Echo (recent problems with device selection), Nivida Shield, Scout Alarm Monitoring…

But I am cautiously optimistic…!

8 Likes
1 Like

Does this mean Smartthings speaker companion will now work with Google speakers like Sonos?
Can Webcore or BigTalker2 now send TTS to Nest audio and cousins to enable a speaking house?
Can the Google speakers be audio output options in Smartthings or Samsung phones?

Let me know if this gets confirmed.

Smart Things HQ some time ago:

• “OK, we have about 1000 bugs and our clients are getting angry. Let’s fix those asap.”
  • “Oh no you don’t. Now you all must focus on this high-profile integration we will make public on December, launch on January and try to make usable during 2021.”
3 Likes