Aeotec Smart Home Hub/2018/2015 Model Hub Firmware Release Notes - 0.45.9

We will begin rolling out Samsung SmartThings Hub firmware version 0.45.9 starting Monday, October 17. Once downloaded, your Hub will briefly go offline as it reboots and applies the update; most customers will experience less than one minute of downtime. We will update the status page when the release is complete.

Hub Target:

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
  • Aeotec Smart Home Hub

Release Date: 17 October 2022 ~ 21 October 2022

Note that this release may be spread out over a week, so you may not see your Hub update the first day of the release period.

Release Notes

General

• Fixed an issue driving high system CPU when the Drivers were nearly the hard memory limit, resulting in frequent disconnects, high latency, and other issues.
  • Fixed a bug that was preventing Driver Live Logging from being viewed by the Location members.
  • Upgraded the Zigbee Stack for the SmartThings Hub 2018 and the Aeotec Smart Home Hub. There is no new functionality added.
  • Fix for locks that use the LockCodes capability.
7 Likes

:tada: Great news. Nice work

1 Like

Do these updates need to be pushed out to the wifi hubs as well?

1 Like

HUB Target:

• Samsung SmartThings Hub 2015 (Hub v2)
  • Samsung SmartThings Hub 2018 (Hub v3)
  • Aeotec Smart Home Hub

but ‘should’ the wifi hubs get these updates as well? It seems the wifi hubs get updated very infrequently.

it "should"and it “will” eventually. :slight_smile: the wifi mesh hub involves a different team.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like they will get this update.

I saw this on TheVerge: Samsung SmartThings hubs will be upgraded to Matter this month - The Verge
I do not understand this announcement. Can someone please clarify?

“
an update later this month will turn Samsung’s standalone SmartThings hubs into controllers for 
 Matter. The v2 hub will control Matter devices over Wi-Fi and ethernet, while the current hub and SmartThings dongle will also act as Thread border routers
 While the upgraded hubs will still support Zigbee and Z-Wave, they won’t be Matter bridges, at least not anytime soon 
 SmartThings users will be able to continue to use those devices connected to a SmartThings hub, but existing Zigbee and Z-Wave devices won’t be exposed to Matter.”

So, for the v2 hub:

• Can I add Matter devices and control them through Smartthings app and hub? I think the answer is yes if they are WiFi or ethernet devices? What about Zigbee or Z-Wave Matter devices (if there is such a thing).

• What is a “Matter bridge” and what does it mean that this won’t happen soon? Can I control both Matter and existing devices from the Smarttings app? Can I use Sharptools to write rules that say, “if a Matter sensor does X then do Y with my existing Z-wave switch?”

• Suppose I add Matter devices that communicate with Thread. Do I need a Thread border router for these to work. Where do I get one? Once I add this, can I control all of those through the Smartthings app? Can I write Sharptools rules around them all?

• What is different with the v3 hub? If I wanted to upgrade to the v3 hub, what would that entail?

No mention of Matter in the release notes but it will be here in two weeks :thinking:

1 Like

Copying my reply to you from the SharpTools community

You can bring matter devices into the SmartThings ecosystem and use them in apps like SharpTools, but SmartThings is not going to output its native Zwave and Zigbee devices to other Matter hubs.

So I think answers to your bullets are yes, bridge=output, v3 hub has thread but not v2, and I wouldn’t upgrade unless you specifically need Thread since theres no migration tool

1 Like

This link and this other link describes some of the differences, but the ones most people care about:

• V2 has ethernet only. V3 is WiFi and ethernet
  • V2 supports 32 zigbee devices, V3 supports 64. I’m not sure if that’s true anymore with zigbee stack upgrades. And that may be “direct” not thru zigbee routing devices.
  • V2 has twice the flash and ram that the V3 does. Some of us are concerned about Edge memory usage being more constrained on the V3.
  • V2 has battery backup, V3 does not. Personally I never saw the point other than just a place for batteries to leak. If power is out, hardwired devices are dead, and you’d need a UPS for the rest of the home networking components (router, switches, etc) anyway so just put the hub on one too.

There is no migration tool to move zwave and zigbee devices from one hub to another. You’d have to re-pair/include each of them and recreate their routines.

2 Likes

Thank you to @ChrisC4 and @csstup.

2 Likes

Thread isn’t a big deal to upgrade. If you have one Echo 4th gen, an AppleTV4k2, Nest Hub or any other thread hub, just one of those would connect your thread devices to IP networks which your ST hub could access with just ethernet or wifi of its own.

1 Like

does this have anything to do with my Yale smart lock and automations that suddenly stopped working today?

It shouldn’t since the firmware will not be released until Monday

2 Likes

turns out the hotfix they did recently is what caused the issue. i got 75% of it working again.

1 Like

My wifi mesh hub starting broadcasting its DHCP to the WAN uplink port last Wednesday. Nothing changed in my configuration (as this is in a remote location). Would a firmware update have been released recently that might have caused this? The service provider has disconnected my service temporarily and the network is offline until I can figure out why it’s broadcasting to the WAN. Not sure how I can even get a fix update, since I have no connectivity.

Help! I dont use a hub, just a few samsung cameras and the smart things app. As of last night, all of my video recordings now have an exclamation mark and cannot be viewed, also my previous recordings cannot be viewed either, but do not have the exclamation

1 Like

Noticed this today:

yeah, Matter edge drivers were moved in 6 days ago. It seems the backend is prepared, hub firmware is rolling out, so now we’re jsut lacking the UI in the mobile app for it
and actual matter devices to add.

2 Likes