Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switch DSC06

Did a little testing. Basically, it seems that if I touch the report interval field at all, even if I don’t change the value, it’s fine. But if I just go into the Edit page then tap Done without touching the report interval field at all, then it sends a null value for that variable. (Just FYI. I’ll still report to ST.)

updated(disableOnOff: false(false), reportInterval: null, displayEvents: true, switchAll: Disabled, debugOutput: true(true))

Thanks for debugging!
Good thing I guard against the reportInterval being null in the code.

Just an FYI, if you look at the code reportInterval is one of the preferences near the top of the file in the metadata section

preferences {
    input "reportInterval", "number", 
        title: "Report Interval", 
        description: "The time interval in minutes for sending device reports", 
        defaultValue: 1, 
        required: false, 
        displayDuringSetup: true

It is used only in the configure method to send the value (converted to seconds) to the device

/**
 *  configure - Configures the parameters of the device
 *  Required for the "Configuration" capability
 */
def configure() {
    //Get the values from the preferences section
    def reportIntervalSecs = 60;
    if (reportInterval) {
        reportIntervalSecs = 60 * reportInterval.toInteger()
    }

James

That’s a good thing for keeping the code running smoothly!

I just need to remember to touch that field when going into the device settings if I want to retain the value I set instead of the default. But it’s definitely good that it will continue to work, even if it’s with the default interval!

I have a few of the Aeon Labs Smart Energy Switches - DSC06 and have added this as a device type sucessfully. Thanks for the hard work! I understand that this switch can also function to report Temperature as one of its values.

I have the On/Off capabilities and also the current power usage and total KWPh usage working within the Mobile App on Android and would be insterested in using the temperature sensor as well so I can monitor the temperature in the area where the switch is installed.

Any way to add this ?

What lead you to believe this device report temp ?

I don’t believe the DSC06 reports temperature. I have the engineering spec for this device and it doesn’t list temperature as a reporting option.

This device does not report temperature. The Aeon Labs Heavy Duty Smart Switch does have a temperature sensor but it is on the motherboard and not accurate for room temperature.

Mucho Thanks for the clairification! You gents are correct. I reviewed the specifications again and you are correct. No temperature monitoring. :blush:

Not sure if it matters here, but the standard device type “z wave metering switch” is now working for me (energy reporting, etc.). Which means it should be supported for local control, no more custom device type.

Edit: I see the devicetype has some nice features, so either is good, but I’m sticking with standard for now since I only need the switch and energy reporting, no fancy stuff at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys - I have had this switch for awhile but really only as an on/off device. Trying to use it now to get a feel for a 2nd fridge energy consumption, and to check the energy use of other things. But what is the trick for reporting? How do you then get a feel for KWH used over a period of time? When a fridge (or whatever) kicks on I get a reading, but how do you accumulate on/off power usage? Thanks!

The kWh figure in the device details is the total energy used over time. It keeps accumulating until you hit the “Reset kWh” button.

Thanks for the note, that’s what I would have thought. But they both seemed to 0 out on their own as the fridge cycled. Right now I have a reading of 160W and 0 kWh, would that make sense for hours of a (inefficient) fridge/freezer? Or is it likely resetting or not accumulating? Thanks for the input!

Also I’m using the native ST z-wave meter device that installed fine initially, so not sure if that is a weakness of the device some other issue

I’ve been using the customer device type mentioned above, so I can’t really speak to the default one, but I’ll share what I’ve gathered from this thread.

Have you ever logged into the SmartThings IDE web page? There’s a page that lists your devices.

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/devices

If you look at that list, does the switch show as active or inactive? Almost all of the time in ST, it doesn’t seem to matter which it is, but in the case of these switches, I believe it was concluded earlier in this thread that when the device is inactive, it can still be controlled, but it won’t properly get the energy information updated into ST.

If it is inactive, and you turn the switch off and back on, it should change back to active, but I think the conclusion also was that the generic device type doesn’t keep thees switches “active”, so it will go back to inactive after some period of time. The custom device type in this thread avoids that issue.

1 Like

My mistake, I can see the energy usage accumulation in the IDE device history. It is likely showing as 0 as it was just under .5 kWh over the last 3+ hr period. So if that is accurate I guess I can just take an occasional measurement from the UI or the IDE history and that should give me a decent daily/monthly measurement. If this ends up being 3-4 kWh/day, maybe its not as bad as I thought, tho I heard that newer models should be 300-350 per year

That’s true too, the energy is rounded to the nearest integer, so it’ll have to get closer to one before the device screen changes.

Thanks, I was checking as you were typing. I’ll watch it and maybe the custom device type will make more sense. It is showing active and appears to be writing records every few minutes in the IDE, though not at a consistent time period. So a little hard to tell, but does seem to be accumulating so far

I think it only updates when he value actually changes. So particularly the power may not display if the device has maintained the same power level.

If you do have too much trouble with the generic device type, @jpansarasa’s custom type is quite nice.

Has anyone tried this device with the V2 hub? It has worked well for me for several months with the V1 hub. I’m having trouble unpairing this device from the V1 hub and moving to the V2 hub. All my other devices unpaired from the V1 hub without issues. The first time I tried unpairing I got the light on the DSC06 switch to flash which indicates the switch is not paired. The SmartThings app didn’t complete unpairing though and I wasn’t able to pair to the V2 hub. I’ve repaired to the V1 hub and have the switch working again. It seems to be ignoring my upairing attempts now.

I use the device with the v2 hub. But I never installed it on my v1 hub. It sounds maybe like the trouble is more with the unpairing than the device type.

I excluded using the new hub exclusively (make sure the old hub is off at that point, no power) and I had zero issues, except with my memory and lack of following instructions. Some devices are just pains, and some are so easy. My GE switches were a breeze.

I wonder if the new hub is better at exclusion, or I’m just lucky.