5 in. or 6 in. Commercial Electric Smart LED Downlight

I hear you. That is the one complaint my wife gives me. She says what if i want to turn the light on and the internet is offline. I told her were the flash light was…lol

I have 6 of these and from time to time need to reset them using the 3 seconds on, 3 seconds off etc. That’s worked for me a few times but I have a few lights that just don’t seem to reset (flash and color temp change).

Anyone know if these can connect to Philips hue bridge?

I have 8 of these, I thought they would connect but cannot get them connected. I picked up a wink hub as a work around, but cannot get over the fact that if I had set the lights off on the app that the physical switch cannot override that.

Thanks!

Tried with hue bridge with no luck. No go with Ecosmart bulbs with Hue Bridge either.

I tried HD tech support, what an experience. They knew nothing about zigbee.

I assume these are using zigbee home automation and will not work. I did hear zigbee 3.0 will merge the two tech and philip bridge will support it. This should allow them to connect in the future.

[quote=“Smarthome_guy, post:45, topic:24416, full:true”]I did hear zigbee 3.0 will merge the two tech and philip bridge will support it. This should allow them to connect in the future.
[/quote]

Don’t hold your breath. The OSRAM RT56 (TW and RGBW) have Zigbee 3.0 firmware today (if you update them to the latest, anyway) and neither will pair with the Hue hub.

That is probably due to Hue Bridge needing to upgrade firmware to support 3.0.

You know some of us on this forum would love to have all the smart bulbs with this feature cause when there is a power outage or surge. Half my house looks like day time and it’s usually around 3am :smile: it’s the reason I have both smart switch and bulbs and it’s draining my bank account.

Perhaps, though given that both Philips and OSRAM are pursuing their own ecosystem-based business models, I’m not sanguine. And Philips already tried, though for now at least failed, to close theirs. Neither has a strong motivation to play nice with the other.

I’m not sure if it’s earlier in the thread, but there are two servers for https://graph.api.smartthings.com. I clicked the link toward the beginning of this post and it routed me automatically to west, not east.
The two servers do not speak to each other the way they should, including log in and password. I called and Samsung was Very helpful in getting me to the right place.
Inside the site I just added them as Osram Lightify Tunable LED’s. THEY WORK LIKE A CHARM!
I haven’t yet tried to link them using Dim With Me or another app… Baby steps. Rock on!

I think I have a fix - see my response to chickwebb below

I think I have a fix.

So I bought these Commercial Electric 3-4" smart downlights and had some problems installing it with my ST v1.0 hub - found this thread and installed it properly.

Then after a day or two I, too, realized that it emits a faint glow when I turned it off via the app. The lights are installed on an always on / “live” line.

The problem stumped me because only 3 of the 4 lights emitted this barely there dim glow. The fourth was fully off.

I was researching putting dummy loads on the lights and things of that nature. Then I thought maybe I should switch the lights (put the good one into one of the bad 3 locations) to see what happens.

When I went to remove the downlight from the can I discovered the cause of the dim glow - I have metal downlight cans in the ceiling. The CE smart lights have 3 metal spring prongs to hold it via spring / friction into the can. When at least 2 of the metal tabs contacted the can the light would dimly glow.

After trying some silly solutions (plastidip, latex balloons), I just employed KISS and wrapped each metal prong in electrical tape. Reinstalled it and the glow was gone! I’m so excited to have fixed this and to share that I’m writing this before going back to fix the other two remaining lights.

Hope this fix works for you too.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Purchased the commercial electric zigbee leds and had problems setting up their device type. Osram is not showing as an option that I can edit and change the device type to. The fix:

Use device type “Zigbee CCT Downlight” and they will work.

Hey guys, after a recent update, and factory setting this downlights, a couple of them when turned on will “blink” once then be fine for a few hours. It’s almost like this is the connecting blink. Anyone else have this problem? Can it be corrected by changing the device handler? Currnetly the device handler is a generic zigbee turnable white.

Any help would be great!

We got a 4" Commercial Electric downlight. I couldn’t get it to work as any of the Osram lights, but it’s working fine as a “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb”.

1 Like

zll white color temperature bulb works better for me. Though I have had mine fall of the network a couple of times. Not sure if its the bulb or what.

What happened to the osram driver? Didn’t it used to be here or was it something I installed myself?

For the life of me, I cannot get my hub to find my this new downlight. I’ve tried the on/off 5x times method in the user guide but it never seems to take for some reason. I’ve never got this light to show up in the “Add a Thing,” page…

Anybody know how to get this light into pairing mode?

If I recall correctly it was On/Off for a couple of seconds X 3.

I got it paired finally.

The solution: Go to the browser hub’s page, add a dummy device for the unit and then it’ll show up as a “thing” in the app to add. Then you can change it’s features once paired.

After all that, I’m returning it because this light won’t turn back on with a dummy wall switch after you’ve turned it off via the app. (facepalm). I’m now going to do smart wall switched instead of bulbs everywhere possible. Smart switches > smart bulbs. Lesson learned the hard way.

Anybody know if any similar LED smart downlights that a normal wall switch can override properly or is this in inherent flaw in these smart bulbs? I’m concerned about table lamp smart bulbs being a hassle as well (where I don’t want to put them on a z wave outlet).

I use smart switches from ge. Just on and off. The power feed for the light totally bypasses switch always on. Then I use commercial electric led down lights. Smart things turn on and off based on switch or phone app. Slight delay but works for me unless smartthings goes down.

When switch turns on also sets the level most commonly used. If I want another level I use phone.