5 in. or 6 in. Commercial Electric Smart LED Downlight

Well, the Smart Switches/Dumb Bulbs vs. Dumb Switches/Smart Bulbs debate has been gone over in a number of threads. Suggest a search if you’re interested in hearing of the different view points on this.

Regardless, Smart Switches (with just a few exceptions) require that your house is wired up such that you have neutral/return wires in the switch boxes. Most homes are not wired up that way, especially if they’re more than about 10 years old, so you’d be smart (pun intended) to check before you start buying a bunch of product.

That is in fact the default behavior for most bulbs, I believe. I have many (Cree, GE, Philips, Osram bulbs and cans, and CE cans) and have found that the CE units are an exception to that.

That’s actually (IMHO, of course) the more desirable behavior. If you have smart lights, generally they will be powered (that’s the point, after all, they need to be powered so that they can be smart). If your power goes out and the bulbs default to ON when power is applied, you’ll find yourself sitting up in your bed one night groggily punching buttons on your phone while your cursing wife buries her head under her pillow and the entire house is lit up like a Christmas tree because the PG&E dropped the ball for 30 seconds at 3 AM. Ask me how I know. :unamused:

Note that you can solve that problem with a canary bulb and CoRE, but that’s a subject for another thread…

No.

[quote=“chickwebb, post:62, topic:24416”]
Well, the Smart Switches/Dumb Bulbs vs. Dumb Switches/Smart Bulbs debate has been gone over in a number of threads. Suggest a search if you’re interested in hearing of the different view points on this.[/quote]

I found quite a few posts on smart switches vs bulbs, and that how I came to that conclusion. I checked my electrical boxes already and have verified the neutral requirement. I’d prefer my wall switch to work for everybody, including those who don’t wish to use an app to simply/quickly turn on/off a light.

~How many smart devises does it take to turn ON a light bulb. lol. I fear we’ve created a complicated means of completing a simple task. But damn if it’s not COOL!

So there are brands I can use that won’t have this “bad” behavior? At the moment it’s simply cheaper to buy two wall switches instead of 6 recessed smart light kits.

I just installed my first of these CE Smart LED lights in my entry way. I used the Zigbee White Color Temp config (didn’t see the others listed in this thread). It works fine using the ST phone app for on/off, dim, and color. However, I can’t find how to automate color. Using Echo Dot (Alexa) I can only dim and toggle on/off. In the automation settings, I don’t get an option for color. Anyone figured this one out? Thanks.

yes this is correct according to the wink hub site

“Start with the bulb off. Turn the light on for 3 seconds and then turn the light off for 3 seconds. Repeat this on/off step a total of 5 times. If successful, the downlight will flash 3 times at a temperature of soft white to indicate factory reset.”

OK I bought one today, and it paired as a thing. I went into IDE and changed Device Type Handler to Zigbee White color temp bulb and it doesn’t go on or off or anything it should do. Any ideas I tried all the different DHTs.

I don’t even see anything in LIVE Logging. I also thought it was a signal problem, but it paired and there is an IRIS Plug next to it.

this happened to me on the first time i paired it. the reset fixed it and I had no issues after that.

UnPaired repaired and it worked for three on offs, Then does nothing.

Color me STUPID!!! I am an Electrician for over 35 years now retired. I installed the Commercial Electric High Hat and got it to work three on off cycles, then I couldn’t get it to work. Well the reason I say I am STUPID and I repeat STUPID, is that I forgot to turn on the wall switch. Now for anyone else I would say OK, but for me. This morning I was sitting on the throne looking up when I looked out the corner of my eye and there was the switch. I said to myself “Self you are as dumb as dirt”. Well works great now, and plan to add a few more.

1 Like

This morning I went into the bathroom and turned on the Commercial Electric downlight and it started to flash on and off. I have lost connection to the fixture. It shows on in my app, but I can’t control it and it went back to default soft white. Any ideas on how to fix this would be appreciated.

I cant find that device type in the IDE but I set mine to ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb. I am not sure this will work. I had it set to Zigbee tunable white light and it kept disconnecting. I hope this type works. Can you tell me the name in IDE for the one you mention?

I need the same info. Did anyone ever get back to you?

No matter what device type I picked it was throwing errors in IDE. But if you have it powered all the time then the ZLL White Color bulb should work.

I could not find the Lightify in the IDE Device Type selector and ended up using “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” It works for the most part. Sometimes the temperature selector jumps back to another setting.
I wonder if the unit is ZLL compliant? Maybe when I have a few more minutes I will try another Device Handler.

I do not see that device type in the drop down. I do not see any Downlight for any of them. Do you know if they renamed? I ended up using “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” for the Commercial Electric brand from Home Depot.

1 Like

These are on clearance status at a good percentage of Home Depots, but I haven’t been in to check where they are in the clearance schedule.

Anyone still using these Commercial Electric downlights? Are they still working okay with Smartthings?

I still have mine installed and it still works, but to be honest, it doesn’t get used much. It is not in any automations. It only comes on when triggered by All Lights On from SHM alarm or when we are having guests after dark.

How did you get the Commercial Electric 5in6in smart led downlight to pair without a Wink Hub?

How did you get this to connect? If just gives me an error and names it tile missing.

I installed the light in the ceiling and then put into pairing mode.
Then put the hub into find new things using the Android app on my phone.
It found new thing and I added it. After that you have to go back into the Developer Portal and in the Devices section find the new device. I changed the Type to “ZigBee White Color Temperature Bulb” and then the Smart Apps recognized it.
I found all this information by searching many other posts here.