Zwave ultrapro Dimmer Control?

We have a bunch of brand new Jasco UltraPro In-Wall Smart Dimmers with “Dimmable” LED Lightbulbs. (Zwave Plus; Model 39351/ZW3010)

We’re currently using the Z-Wave Switch Edge Driver from the SmartThings Drivers (Beta) Channel.

While these switches are made to support LED bulbs, we’re finding that some lights completely turn off at say 21% while adjusting it from the Wall Switch, making it difficult to get to the dimmest setting without turning off the light.

Is there an Edge Driver that would allow finer control? For example, to set a “floor” of 22%, thus preventing the Wall Dimmer and the App from going below 22% ?

@philh30 has drivers for Jasco switches that might help.

1 Like

Hey @philh30 Any chance you’ve developed something similar for the Zwave Plus version?

1 Like

That driver supports a wide range of Jasco models from the ancient to the current. The README in my GitHub includes a list of supported fingerprints. Jasco has a ton of fingerprints though, so there’s a chance yours isn’t on the list yet.

1 Like

The OP is looking for an edge driver for the Z wave version, not Zigbee. That’s a different driver and a different thread.

2 Likes

BTW, usually the quickest way to find custom edge Drivers is to use the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki. There’s one list for Sensors, one for lights, etc…

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Browse_Lists_for_Edge_Drivers

1 Like

@JDRoberts @philh30 You guys are great! Have I told you lately that I love you?

@philh30 Awesome… it DOES support my model number!

@JDRoberts Great link! I made a note to make that my “go to” in the first round going forward!

Thank you both so much !!!

3 Likes

Dimmable LED lamps are not all made the same. Some will dim down super low, and others knock out at a much higher point. Many manual dimmers, such as Lutron Diva series, have a manual adjustment for the lowest setting, but not all smart switches have the same thing. As far as I can tell from their documentation, the Jasco dimmers do not have a low dimmer set point parameter. (I have several of the older 12724/ZW3005 switches.)

In order to adjust the minimum dimming level, you would likely need to find a bulb more compatible with the Jasco dimmers, or switch the dimmers out for something like the Zooz ZEN72.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave.

As it turns out, on my particular model (Zwave Plus; Model 39351/ZW3010), @philh30 's Edge Driver DOES control the Lower Setting, both in SmartThings AND on the Physical Wall-Switch.

Setting the “Minimum Dim Threshold” for example in the Device Card, keeps the Wall-Switch from going below that threshold!

As noted in my original post, as I held the Dimmer Down, it would get to in/around that 22% range and shut completely off. Now with it set at 15 in the app, it goes down very dim and does NOT shut off as I hold the dimmer. i.e. it reaches the floor/threshold and stops.

There was some documentation early on at the begging of the Driver Invitation that indicated the setting would only apply in the app, but it may have evolved since that time to include impacting the Physical Wall Switch.

2 Likes

The oldest Zwave Jasco dimmers don’t. Some of the older Zwave Plus models have a later firmware version that supports parameter 20 for minimum dim level. The current Zwave Plus models (anything
that supports central scene notifications for double/triple tap) have parameters 30, 31 and 32 for minimum, maximum and default dim level. I’m not sure about the current ZigBee models, but my older ZigBee Jasco dimmer doesn’t have those settings.

3 Likes

Awesome! I’m glad to see that Jasco added this parameter to newer switches. And glad the driver works. I may need to update some of my older switches!

FYI - a good test for minimum brightness is to do what you did, dim the lights to their lowest level you set, then turn off the lights. Turn the lights back on, and see if they illuminate at that low level. If they don’t, bump the minimum value up a couple points, and try again. You should get to a minimum dimming level where the bulbs turn on at their dimmest setting.

2 Likes

Great tip, thanks !

2 Likes