you probably have what i had, my zwave network had 9 devices in the Zwave network that were not showing as failed, but there was no corresponding device in ST. it seems that ST’s Exclude/Delete method gets killed sometimes and doesn’t delete the Zwave object. and since we have no way to see this in ST, the only way to see this is to add a secondary controller. I have moved back to 100% ST automation again yesterday because since removing these devices by adding the device with the same Network ID back into ST and attempting the delete again has made my zwave automation really reliable again.
trying to delete those nine Zwave devices i had a 1 in 5 failure rate where the zwave object was not deleted. i wouldn’t be surprised if this is where a lot of peoples ST instability is introduced.
i have disabled the openhab automation for the moment as i am waiting for Openhab 2’s zwave implementation to support secure encapsulation. and i have yesterday added all my zwave locks into ST and all is good with the world.
i am just now looking today at a possibility of offloading all my sonos’s from ST, which should give me some more reliability as i have proved this to also be a cause of instability.
life in the ST world is pretty good again. I’ve been one of their biggest critics of late as my experience from just b4 christmas was abysmal. but things are on the up and i will be the first to admit that i am happy that i have openhab as a backup so if ST dies or goes offline i can bring back the openhab automation with a single command.