Zigbee and z-wave bulbs not working after power outage

North Atlanta got 7 inches of heavy wet snow on Friday and as a result we lost power for about 12 hours. When it came back, none of my bulbs (four ZigBee and single Z-wave) were recognized. I rebooted the hub and ran multiple Z-wave repairs but nothing worked. I finally had to remove each of the ZigBee bulbs and add them back and fix the routines that used them. I still don’t have my Z-wave bulb back up yet. My Z-wave switches came back fine.

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be the case? Because I have a small number of devices, adding them back wasn’t much trouble but if I had a lot it would be a real problem.

I can think of a couple of possibilities, but that doesn’t mean any of them necessarily apply to your house. The most common would be that there was a power surge right before you lost power and that the bulbs, being a little more fragile than the switches, just couldn’t handle it. But again that doesn’t mean that happened in your case.

As far as the Z wave bulb goes, you can try the “Z wave replace” utility and see if that works. In this case you are replacing the bulb with itself, but at least if it does work it means you don’t have to change any of your automations.

It may well have been a power surge - a neighbor’s HVAC got zapped. I just tried to do the replace but when a do, it takes me out of the app. Guess I need to contact support. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

I heard there might be a problem in the app on that page. :disappointed_relieved: You should also be able to do the replace from the IDE.

The power probably cycled enough times to reset the bulbs. Most bulbs will reset after 5 or 6 on-off cycles.