SmartThings Community

Z-Wave Devices Not Woking

(Kal) #1

I’m having a serious headache with my Smartthings about 3 days ago. Devices show up randomily offline in ide, even if I get them back online they don’t respond or respond with 20-30m delay. I can manually turn all switches and outlets, some even update on Smartthings classic immediately but will not respond when turning on or off from the app. Truly frustrating! I have 30 odd devices most of them are z-wave. My two zigbee motion sensors are reporting fine. Any ideas? I’m on v2 hub using classic app.

(jkp) #2

have you run z-wave repair? any errors? try turning off device health to see if that has any effect.

(Kal) #3

Yes many times, runs through the whole process no errors and still nothing responds. Sometime more devices go offline after a z-wave repair :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

(jkp) #4

contact ST support at https://support.smartthings.com

(www.rboyapps.com - Make your home your butler!) #5

Just finished debugging similar issues with help from the ST staff pouring through the hub logs. When you see a response notification that’s about 20-30 minutes that means the response didn’t come through to the hub/server initially and then the devices was polled later the change in state was processed and then showed up. In this case it pointed to a Z-Wave mesh issue (or possibly an internet issue). Rebooting the hub often helps and then doing a Z-Wave repair. Also it turned out that one of the Z-Wave repeaters was faulty and once removed from the mesh things started working better (this was more difficult to diagnose).

It’s a little tricky as you’ve got to see what’s happening after 20-30 minutes, the hub doesn’t retry commands (as yet). So most likely it’s the state change notification that wasn’t received when the command was executed.

(Kal) #6

Called SmartThings Support, only option was to reset the HUB and start over. 50 odd devices to re-add with automations was not my favorite thing to do on New Years Eve. Everything so far appears to be working well, but this process of exclude/include is too much a pain.