Z-Wave Device Firmware Update Requests

Can’t really limit it to specific devices but rather all recent generations of products by:
Aeotec
Zooz
Schlage Locks
Jasco/GE/Honeywell
Innovelli

4 Likes

Fibaro single switch 2 and fibaro double switch 2

Definately GE/Jasco
Aeotec
First Alert
Monoprice

1 Like

Inovelli LZW31 please, the non-SN black models without scene control.

1 Like

Inovelli Dimmer LZW31
Inovelli Dimmer NZW31 &
Inovelli 4-in-1 Sensor

Possibly other Inovelli devices as well.

3 Likes

Inovelli LZW30
Inovelli LZW30-SN
Inovelli LZW31
Inovelli LZW31-SN

2 Likes

Inovelli Fan + Light LZW36 (a great product!)

^^^ This! Hopefully this’ll happen soon in this effort given that ST and Aeotec are getting cozier with hardware in general.

OTA z-wave updates would be a huge win for ST!

5 Likes

Utilitech Water Sensor TST01-1 / everspring st812-2

1 Like

Is there any update on this? I’ve allowed firmware updates but don’t believe anything has been updated.

Nope. The one you allowed is just for the zigbee i believe.

1 Like

Can the OP provide some timing expectation?

Any update on this? If this can only update the firmware of a single type of device, this is a pretty useless feature. What if we allow each user to upload the firmware they want their own devices to update to on the IDE itself?

If the way Zigbee updates is used as expectations, they won’t be how this works.

For Zigbee, device manufacturers send firmware directly to SmartThings and then its loaded in the system to be delivered to devices that match the correct device fingerprint if you have device firmware updates enabled. You wont be able to load anything yourself. Samsung has their own reasons for that… (probably don’t want to accept responsibility for end users using the tools incorrectly and blaming them for bricked devices…)

Also remember the groovy IDE is going away sometime in the next year - so don’t expect new features there. Including a way to upload a file to be delivered…

If you want to update devices with your own custom firmware, your best bet is to get a zstick from Homeseer or something similar.

You can already do this without the IDE by adding a secondary controller to your Z wave network and downloading the Z wave firmware that way. (This option is not available for zigbee because you can only have one controller on visiting at work when using the profiles smartthings uses.)

Anyway, people have done that in the past for some required updates, including for Leviton and homeseer light switches.

So you have to get an additional device, you have to figure out how to add that to your network, you have to get the files from the device manufacturer, but if you do all that, then the individual customer can update their own zwave devices. And it is over the air updates.

This is the device:

And here’s a discussion of using it with smartthings. I know @HalD has done so in the past, but I don’t know if it works currently.

Homeseer Z-flash with smartthings and S2 devices

1 Like

I have used a Z-wave stick plugged into a Windows computer as a secondary controller. And I have, in some cases, been able to update the firmware on Z-wave switches. When it works, it’s a huge timesaver.

For some period of time about a year ago Zooz gave the steps to do this in their knowledge base. They no longer do, they now recommend excluding the device to be updated from the SmartThings mesh and using the stick as primary on its own mesh.

I have had success updating Leviton devices via a secondary controller without removing them from the SmartThings mesh.

1 Like

Some (all?) of the Zooz devices will factory reset themselves after a firmware update. So that’s probably why they took down the instructions (just a guess).

1 Like

Leviton zWave switches would be terrific.

Thanks!

2 Likes

its been a couple of years since this post started and I wonder if there is any progress regarding z-wave firmware updates using smartthings. anyway to have the option to select the firmware and update OTA instead of having constantly updating your database.

1 Like

As the interface is primarily the mobile app, my comment above still holds true.