Hub Firmware 21.x Beta

Calling all beta testers!

We’re excited to announce the start of the beta program for the Hub V2 0.21.x firmware release. We will begin rolling out the firmware update in batches starting on the 12th of March and will send out an email prior to updating your Hub. The hub will be offline for about a minute during the update. See below for more specific details about the update.

Version

• 0.21.x

Hub Target

• Samsung SmartThings Hub (Hub V2)

Release Date

• Rolling out to batches of hubs starting on March 12th

Release Notes

• Add support for additional DTHs to execute locally
    • Fibaro Motion Sensor (non-ZW5 version)
    • Fibaro Door/Window Sensor (non-ZW5 version)
    • Virtual Switch
    • Virtual Dimmer Switch
    • ZLL Dimmer Bulb
    • ZLL RGB Bulb
    • ZLL RGBW Bulb
    • ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb
    • ZLL White Color Temperature Bulb 5000K
  • Updated the Z-Wave Radio Firmware to 4.54
    • This firmware improves stability and connectivity within the Z-Wave network.
  • Fix problems discovering multiple Zigbee devices at once and also with discovering certain devices (ex: Innr and Nue)
  • Improved performance in handling of lan connections for cloud DTHs
  • Prevent hub offline notifications from being sent while hub is still online
  • Firmware updates for the following devices
    • Sengled Classic, Touch, Plus and Color Plus - add support for secure rejoin
    • OSRAM PAR16, CLA 60 and B40 ZLL bulbs - improve reliability

NOTE
* Anyone who participated in the 0.20.x beta is automatically signed up for this one.

If you’d like to participate in the beta, but haven’t taken the survey yet you can Sign Up Here

If you’d like to opt out, you can also leave the program via the Account Settings menu item in Centercode.

8 Likes

5 days notice?! that must be some kind of record :laughing: Anyway, look forward to the update.

2 Likes

Awesome! My application in Center Code is still waiting to be accepted so I guess I’m already in line for this beta? please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Really looking forward to the Z-Wave improvements in that firmware…

If you signed up towards the end of the last beta, we haven’t gone through and validated the applicants yet. We are waiting to get most of the signups for this beta in as well, and then we will do it in a big batch.

Cool, I assume all those device firmware updates are for Zigbee devices right?

With the new Z-Wave radio firmware, are we any closer to eventually be able to do Z-Wave device OTA firmware updates? is this at all in the horizon?

Yes, all those device frimware updates are for Zigbee devices. The Z-Wave radio update with this release doesn’t contain any work towards Z-Wave OTAs. This release is just targeted towards increasing reliability and performance.

Its great to see virtual switches coming back to the locally executed list. Any plans to allow them to be used as a constraint in smart lighting?

Note that these are actually new DTHs and not the “Simulated Switches” we used last time. There were too many concerns around breaking existing integrations if we made the changes we needed/wanted for Simulated Switches. There is a way to create them from the app now too under add smartapp -> more -> “Virtual Device Creator”. As for using them as a constraint in smart lighting, personally I would love that feature, and it is something that we have discussed, BUT, I’m definitely not going to make any promises about it happening.

4 Likes

Why isn’t cool stuff like this communicated?!?! This is great!

Well it’s there as of today, and we were going to use this beta to get some feedback on it. But I do hope you get some use out of it!

3 Likes

How do I get in on the beta?

In the first post of this thread… it says if you’d like to participate in the beta, Sign Up Here which has a link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My bad! lol!

Hey all, we had a couple of last-minute bugs to squash, so the beta will start rolling out tomorrow instead of today. Apologies for the delay!

Damn, I fly out of town for a week in the morning :unamused:

excited to test out the changes!

What are the firmware versions of the Sengled Classic? I’d like to confirm when the update hits the bulbs. Looks like my bulbs are currently on version 0x00000006.

The update available with this release will be 0x00000009

2 Likes

Also in order to get any of the Zigbee firmware updates in this beta release you’ll need to enable “Allow OTA for lights” (see https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/215394303-ZigBee-OTA-firmware-updates). After doing so you can power cycle the bulb to force the update to start right away. Most bulbs will take only a few minutes to update but the Sengled Element Touch takes about three hours AND it will turn on after the update. Just something to be aware of so the lights don’t come on at a bad time.

2 Likes

I was going to say I had a few things to fix from yesterdays issues as many devices were offline this morning, however I just looked and everything looks good in the app now. I’m not at home to verify but I think I’m ready for the beta.