First time poster here - I’ve had my hub for a few months now and have been gradually switching things over to SmartThings in my home - lights (typically Tradfri, Lightify), TRVs (Danfoss), a few motion sensors (Samsung) to automatically turn lights on/off, a multi-sensor (Samsung) to tell me when mail has dropped into my outside postbox (still in progress). I’ve a development background so am also familiarising myself with handlers, smartapps, CoRE etc but haven’t yet started cutting any code.
I do have a very specific requirement that at first glance sounds like it has already been covered bythe many quality threads I’ve read here, but I’ve not managed to identify a solution that is right for me. So, I thought I’d ask. Here’s my requirements:
- We are in the UK
- We recently moved into a house that has a 4 meter high ceiling living area but that area has no ceiling lights - that part of the house has floor level 5A sockets with floor lamps
- The boss want to add a couple of pendants to the ceiling and I want to be able to control those from SmartThings
- However, we also need to be able to control the lights from a wall mounted switch
- I have an existing powered wall switch i could expand/re-purpose if required (2 wire system)
- We have access to the loft space above the living area and can get wired power to the pendants
- However, there’s no non-destructive way of getting wires from the switch to the pendants
- The solution can’t be internet reliant - I i don’t want to be in the situation where I’m away for work and my wife can’t turn lights on and off (ie. has to be local processing)
- The solution could be internet reliant if the manual switch still worked during any outages
- The pendant doesn’t have bulb fitments for bulbs can be ST controlled (ie, not E14, E27 etc)
Can what I’ve after be done with ST and the Fibaro modules or with another ST compatible module? eg, a Z-Wave notification switch (or behind the switch) and a Z-Wave relay above the lights with a smartapp controlling it? Or would that automatically make it cloud based?
I’ve read many posts here and articles on other sites (eg, vesternet.com) but haven’t yet found the right solution for me.
I’d rather not have to go down the Lightwave RF route or another non-open solution.
Or do I just need to accept that my plasterboard is going to get some collateral damage, run wires from an existing wall switch, and install a Fibaro module either behind the socket or above the light?
Any thoughts appreciated.